Can anyone recommend hacks we can box up and park at?

MGKIRA

Visit site
Evening!

I've just bought my first trailer and looking for some hacks we can drive to and park up?

Can anyone recommend anywhere within 1-1/2 of Sheffield/Barnsley.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
The Mary Townley loop might fit the bill. You can do sections of it, or make a week of it and stop off at B&B +stables along the way. I have never ridden it, so cannot vouch for the condition of the tracks etc.. The Pennine Bridleway is another option.

Hackback

Visit site
Might be a bit far but Ride Yorkshire have some lovely routes and they all start with where to park. If you have easy access to the M1 Derbyshire might be a good option, they have a whole network of trails that were formerly the pit railway links. My favourite parking spot is Grassmoor country park, there's a dedicated horsebox parking area. You could ride out all day on the trails from there, but it is all surfaced tracks, fab for winter riding but not much cantering. If you want a more off-road ride Chatsworth, parking at the Calton Lees car park is fab but it will be soggy at the moment - it goes over some moors, round some very pretty villages and over part of the Chatsworth estate.

There's the Tissington trail which has dedicated parking, I've never been but I will one day. Carsington Water has parking and there are plenty of parking spots at Ladybower reservoir, as long as you go mid week and not in school holidays.

Have you been to Poolsbrook or Rother Valley country parks? They both have parking.

Also, can highly recommend the Four Shires Bloodhounds. Obviously it's still hunting season but they usually do some summer rides. Fab locations and a really friendly bunch of people.

Hackback

Visit site
Also forgot Wharncliffe Woods and the TPT round there, parking at Cote Green Farm. You are probably familiar with this one as it must be close to you.

Have fun and if you discover any other routes please let me know - I'm always looking for new places to try and knowing where to park is always the tricky bit.

EstherYoung

Visit site
You'll be in the area covered by the West Riding Group of Endurance GB. Between us and the neighbouring groups there are plenty of organised rides in your catchment area. And plenty of people to meet up with and ride out with if you're not looking for organised rides. Drop me a private message and I'll give you some suggestions.

neddy man

Visit site
Download Ordnance survey map OL 1 it covers a massive area, East to West from Glossop toWortley ----North to South from Holmfirth to Castleton,---- (maps 278 + 279 will take you Eastwards beyond Doncaster.) Or purchase a paper edition and study all the Bridleways and all the permissive bridleways and all the public access routes by looking at the colour and code markings on the information section on the map, then highlight them with a Green or Red highlight marker, it's well worth the time it takes.There are many bridleways that link up with minimal roadwork. The Trans pennine trail will take you from Grenoside or Penistone out to beyond Manchester although flattish and not a loop, Wharncliffe forest ( Grenoside) can provide various loop rides all the tracks in Greno wood and Wharncliffe forest are rideable (everyone does) not just the marked bridleways , as can Deffer wood 1 mile on the left past Cannon hall at Cawthorne no bridleways are shown but horse riding is allowed, just dont block the entrance with your vehicle. . There are nice loop rides round Ladybower reservoir. The Longdendale trail from Langsett reservoir to Manchester and also from Langsett reservoir you can ride to Ladybower. And a nice loop ride near Langsett from Dunford bridge. Some longish bridleways to link up East of Doncaster and some nice loop one with a little roadwork to link them from above Dore in Sheffield, and Edale in Derbyshire. Personally I would buy a map and download the OS app, you can get a clear map holder and neck strap for when in Derbyshire when phone signal can be limited. When leaving your trailer make a note of the " what3words " loation on your phone so if you get lost you can use "what3words" to get you back to your trailer, or in case of an emergency a friend can locate your trailer and come to you. Enjoy your new adventures.

Last edited:

tda

Visit site
You can park at Wortley and get onto the transpennine trail
I have a little booklet of some rides in and around Huddersfield, not sure if it was produced by the council or a bridleways group

Hackback

Visit site
Download Ordnance survey map OL 1 it covers a massive area, East to West from Glossop toWortley ----North to South from Holmfirth to Castleton,---- (maps 278 + 279 will take you Eastwards beyond Doncaster.) Or purchase a paper edition and study all the Bridleways and all the permissive bridleways and all the public access routes by looking at the colour and code markings on the information section on the map, then highlight them with a Green or Red highlight marker, it's well worth the time it takes.There are many bridleways that link up with minimal roadwork. The Trans pennine trail will take you from Grenoside or Penistone out to beyond Manchester although flattish and not a loop, Wharncliffe forest ( Grenoside) can provide various loop rides all the tracks in Greno wood and Wharncliffe forest are rideable (everyone does) not just the marked bridleways , as can Deffer wood 1 mile on the left past Cannon hall at Cawthorne no bridleways are shown but horse riding is allowed, just dont block the entrance with your vehicle. . There are nice loop rides round Ladybower reservoir. The Longdendale trail from Langsett reservoir to Manchester and also from Langsett reservoir you can ride to Ladybower. And a nice loop ride near Langsett from Dunford bridge. Some longish bridleways to link up East of Doncaster and some nice loop one with a little roadwork to link them from above Dore in Sheffield, and Edale in Derbyshire. Personally I would buy a map and download the OS app, you can get a clear map holder and neck strap for when in Derbyshire when phone signal can be limited. When leaving your trailer make a note of the " what3words " loation on your phone so if you get lost you can use "what3words" to get you back to your trailer, or in case of an emergency a friend can locate your trailer and come to you. Enjoy your new adventures.
Thanks for this detailed reply @neddy man

I have a drawer full of OS maps, my problem is knowing where to park. If I'm driving 1 1/2 hours to get somewhere I need to be sure I can park. Maybe we need a thread that lists individual routes, with parking suggestions? A whole collection of routes that we could just dip into? I'd love something like that.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Thanks for this detailed reply @neddy man

I have a drawer full of OS maps, my problem is knowing where to park. If I'm driving 1 1/2 hours to get somewhere I need to be sure I can park. Maybe we need a thread that lists individual routes, with parking suggestions? A whole collection of routes that we could just dip into? I'd love something like that.
So what you really want is the possibility of reserving a parking space in advance...

Hackback

Visit site
Well that would be nice - thinking of one awful time when I drove nearly 2 hours to the Peak District in lockdown (when we were allowed to travel for exercise). I navigated to the car park where I planned to park, only to find It rammed. Because it was at the end of the road I drove in, expecting to be able to drive in and out again but I couldn't, it was a dead end. And because there were cars parked on every spare bit of land, there was no room to turn. Some people had to come out of the visitors centre and guide me back out in reverse, and they had to take down some barriers to get me round a tight bend. Meanwhile cars were piling up in front and behind. It was awful and so embarrassing but even worse, the horse had travelled 2 hours then couldn't even get out. Never again.

Actually during Lockdown you had to reserve and pay for your parking in advance at Chatsworth House, so it is possible!

But what I really need is someone to tell me where you can actually park and access the route, even if it's just by the side of the road. I do my best with street view but you don't know how up to date it is, what the ground is like in wet weather, how busy the car parks get, height restrictions etc. I usually manage to get lost even with sat nav and directions so need all the help I can get.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Well that would be nice - thinking of one awful time when I drove nearly 2 hours to the Peak District in lockdown (when we were allowed to travel for exercise). I navigated to the car park where I planned to park, only to find It rammed. Because it was at the end of the road I drove in, expecting to be able to drive in and out again but I couldn't, it was a dead end. And because there were cars parked on every spare bit of land, there was no room to turn. Some people had to come out of the visitors centre and guide me back out in reverse, and they had to take down some barriers to get me round a tight bend. Meanwhile cars were piling up in front and behind. It was awful and so embarrassing but even worse, the horse had travelled 2 hours then couldn't even get out. Never again.

Actually during Lockdown you had to reserve and pay for your parking in advance at Chatsworth House, so it is possible!

But what I really need is someone to tell me where you can actually park and access the route, even if it's just by the side of the road. I do my best with street view but you don't know how up to date it is, what the ground is like in wet weather, how busy the car parks get, height restrictions etc. I usually manage to get lost even with sat nav and directions so need all the help I can get.

If you can use maps and help from here to find somewhere close enough, you could go and do a recce in the car without your trailer, to check on things like height restrictions, surface conditions and access to the bridleway from the car park.

neddy man

Visit site
TPT has parking at Grenoside - Wortley - Oxspring - Penistone - Millhose green - Dunford bridge.-------- Greno wood and Wharncliffe forest have parking at Grenoside -------- Wharncliffe forest also has parking at Wortley and Oughtibridge -----Deffer forest has parking at its main entrance opposite the lodges --------- There is parking at Langsett-----there is parking at Ladybower and at Dore. GOOGLE EARTH or LIVE EARTH MAP are your goto websites to look for parking giving good detail when enlarged. I agree with KB a little early recceing is an excellent idea. I may think of other parking spots, roughly where are you based

Last edited:

southerncomfort

Visit site
Can recommend Dunford Bridge as mentioned by Neddy Man. They have really spacious dedicated parking for horseboxes plus a decent mounting block.

If you head towards Penistone, there is the Magic Wood Cafe along the trail where you can stop for drinks, ice cream, hot and cold food.

Just in case anyone is interested, there is a hotel opening this year just adjacent to DB car park. They are planning on catering for riders and have stables on site.