Can anyone recommend reputable dog rescue centres near Essex?

BuzzyBea

Visit site
I have 2 gorgeous cockers, a bitch and a dog, but the bitch is really poorly and not likely to be with us much longer :(

As she is the oldest of the 2 it will mean leaving my boy on his own for the first time and I am pretty sure he isn't going to cope well - howls the house down when I take her to the vets etc and can have small wees if I'm out too long.

It's an awful situation to almost be looking to 'replace her' while she is still with us but feel I need to be a position to move quickly when she does go as I work part time so the dog will be left alone almost straight away.

Sorry for the long story but what I would really like to know is can anyone tell me of any reputable rescue centres in and around Essex please? I would ideally like a dog or bitch aged around 1 to 2 years old that would be good on/off the lead and potentially a good yard dog. No thoughts on breeds really (although I'm not a fan of the staffy type - please don't be offended if you are but I tend to like the 'softer' looking dogs!!)

Just after a sweet natured dog that gets on with my boy that I would be happy to train but need it to come from a centre that is going to be 100% honest with me about the dog that I am taking on.

Thanks all.

s4sugar

Visit site
Breed rescues are always a good first call.

Be careful what you say as some "rescues" will block you at the term "yard dog" as this can be synonymous with scrapyard dog on a chain as opposed to your meaning, I assume, of a dog to hang around the stable yard with you.
Open your options by widening the age range -a four year old has years ahead.
18 years ago I lost my last Dobermann bitch at 3 years old - lymphosacoma. I wanted a large dog to have around and phoned GSD rescue.
Gave them my list of requirements - ok with me. ok with horses, not an avid cat hunter (if gave chase & gave up once cat was out of sight was ok but not a dog that knew a cat was around and it had to be found and killed) Would have a heated kennel & a fully enclosed half acre part time with the run of two acres and access to the house when the gates were locked.
The standard "well you might have a wait and the police may well have pulled any that would suit" was changed to "can I phone you back" when I said I wanted over 4 or even over 8. I got a lovely eight ( more like 11 ) year old the following day. Owner brought him over & Simba was with me for 3 years until his furunculosis had a major flare up and it was time to let him go.

BuzzyBea

Visit site
Breed rescues are always a good first call.

Be careful what you say as some "rescues" will block you at the term "yard dog" as this can be synonymous with scrapyard dog on a chain as opposed to your meaning, I assume, of a dog to hang around the stable yard with you.
Open your options by widening the age range -a four year old has years ahead.
18 years ago I lost my last Dobermann bitch at 3 years old - lymphosacoma. I wanted a large dog to have around and phoned GSD rescue.
Gave them my list of requirements - ok with me. ok with horses, not an avid cat hunter (if gave chase & gave up once cat was out of sight was ok but not a dog that knew a cat was around and it had to be found and killed) Would have a heated kennel & a fully enclosed half acre part time with the run of two acres and access to the house when the gates were locked.
The standard "well you might have a wait and the police may well have pulled any that would suit" was changed to "can I phone you back" when I said I wanted over 4 or even over 8. I got a lovely eight ( more like 11 ) year old the following day. Owner brought him over & Simba was with me for 3 years until his furunculosis had a major flare up and it was time to let him go.

I'm sure you're right about the age and yes I would consider a dog up to around 4. Think I'm just a little sensitive to the age issue at the moment as my poorly girl has only made it to 9 and to be honest my boy is unlikely to live to a ripe old age as he has hip dysplaxia. The dogs I had always hoped to have a full life until 12-15 have both fallen short bless them :(

Luci07

Visit site
Just wondered if maybe it could also be worth phoning some of the good breeders to see if they have dogs that have "come back"

Horrible to hear what you are going through...

BuzzyBea

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies - I will have a look at Wallaces website.

Funnily enough I have been in touch with my breeder to see if she knows of any dogs needing homes. It seems that one of her own will be looking for a home soon as she has had a few litters. She is 6 which is a little older than I would ideally like but the positive part is that I know the dog is healthy and comes without any behavioural problems. She would also be happy to hold onto her until we are ready.

Fingers crossed it all works out - just dearly wish that I didn't have to face the loss of my beautiful girl first :(