Can anyone tell me about their ABS visit?

Julia0803

Visit site
Dear All,

I was wondering if anyone here who is a member of the ABS has had a visit from the ABS team and can tell me a little about it? Particularly those who don't have a kennel environment.

I'm thinking of joining the scheme. Having spoken to my girls breeder/my mentor, she recommended it as it gives reassurance to puppy buyers by having a seal of approval. I have already had the health tests done on our girl, and would ensure puppy buyers were given lots of written information on the breed and support anyway, but she felt that the ABS was a good way of clearly and easily showing puppy buyers you are the "right sort of breeder".

She has explained to me her experiences of her visits, but she has 9 dogs currently, and an awful lot of records to go through with them, having been involved in breeding and showing for 20 years.

I was just wondering if anyone here who has just one or two dogs, living as house/sofa dogs can share their experiences of the visit?

I've heard things about, dog sinks, and fire extinguishers/ safety plans etc that are a little out of our league. I think i've done well to remember to use a different sponge to wash out her bowl, let alone a different sink! ;) She lives in the house, sleeps on the sofa or bed and is just one of the family, so I'm just wondering how this fits in with their inspection?

Thanks

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I had a visit a couple of years ago. At the time I had been a member of the scheme for some time, I think they are a bit quicker in doing the visits now. Whereas I have been breeding for a long time I now have only 2 bitches which live in the house. I do have an outside wash house where I keep the dog food etc but other than that don't really conform to their ideas. The lady who inspected me seemed happy with everything, did want to see all paper work, details of previous litters etc and wanted to know what arrangements I had for someone to look after the dogs if I became ill . The only question that through me a bit was when she asked me what plans I had made for the girls when they were older and no longer being bred from (they were actually spayed at the time of her visit, aged 5 and 1, so pointless question I would have thought). I said I hadn't made any plans and hadn't given it a thought because obviously they would be staying with me. I thought everything had gone well, and I was approved but was marked down on the section regarding retired dogs as I "hadn't made any plans". To cut a long story short, after a lot of correspondence with Bill Lambert head of the ABS I resigned from the scheme ! The ABS is a very good idea in principle but a lot of very good breeders are now leaving it because they go above and beyond the requirements of the scheme and yet are grouped in with people who aren't far short of puppy farmers, having many litters with just enough health tests etc to meet the scheme.
I am sure you will pass the inspection with flying colours, but be prepared for questions that don't have any relevance to someone with just a couple of bitches living as house pets, and for heavens sake tell the inspector you have made plans for your dogs when they are no longer used for breeding!