Can being too laid back a rider be a bad thing (I think so)

beaconhorse

Visit site
My horse is a lovely sweet lad. But when I had him nearly 3 years ago he was a little hyper to say the least. But now he is way too laid back and friends say it is my fault because I am so VERY laid back it has rubbed off on him.

I can take him anywhere and he does not get excited or nervous.
Now I know that everyone will be saying 'Oh I wish mine was like that' Trust me you don't!!

It is so bad that he has no ''go' I feed him Tiger oats and still he just chills all the time even in the ring

I can't feed him anything else as he suffers from EPSM so instant response stuff etc it s no no. He also has 1/2 litre of oil everyday
I just want some 'go' and can't get it

Any ideas?

Sal_E

Visit site
I found the EPSM required amount of oil really made my mare sluggish - it was like she felt 'bloated' all the time. I know it's supposed to be slow- release energy, but it was REALLY slow!!

Would it help to take him for a blow every now & again - a really good gallop.

Does he need sharpening up off your leg?

Is he bored, does he need a change of routine?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Have you had him blood tested just to make sure that he is ok??

Apart from that - change your feed to perhaps something like slow release energy cubes. Oats never made Amymay heat up - no matter how much I gave her, and it could be the same for your lad.

I know what you mean though - whilst it's lovely to have 'Mr Perfect Manners', sometimes you do want a little more 'sparkle'!!!!

Also, how's his fitness levels?? Do you feed electrolytes, could he do with an iron suppliment??? Just things that are springing to mind.

beaconhorse

Visit site
we went XC on Sunday so I think that counts as a blow, as few days before that we were galloping in the fields.

We do XC, SJ, Showing, schooling, hacking. so can't see how he can be bored.

I do think he needs to learn to go off the leg more sharply ie he will trot etc when I ask but there is no REAL forwardness, ie there is nothing to 'contain' any attempt to 'contain' and he slows down even more, no matter how much leg I use and having just starting schooling a young horse that has hardly been touched I now know it is NOT ME!!!
Its like he always gives the minimum amount I ahve tried allsorts

Have blood tests and he is fine. Electrolites may help but have not made much if any difference when I last tried them

I just think it is just the way he is but its driving me nuts

KatB

Visit site
I use propell plus if horses are feeling a bit flat. Can pep up their iron levels, and my boy goes on it as standard at season changes and when competing. Can be like rocket fuel!

fairhill

Visit site
If his feed etc are all ok, then it could be a schooling issue.

These articles might give you an idea of things you can try to encourage him to think more forwards. (hopefully these links will work...)

http://www.horsemagazine.com/CLINIC/B/BAKER_MICHAEL/working_your_way_thru_r.htm

http://www.horsemagazine.com/CLINIC/B/BAKER_MICHAEL/bakermagic.html

I'm working through the same issues with my youngster at the moment, and everytime she slows below a certain speed I send her forwards again. She's slowly improving, so the methods do seem to work...