Can copper deficiency make horse edgy?

trickivicki

Visit site
Hi guys,

Ossy is on day 5 of Cuppra 30 day tonic, the last 2 days he has been really chilled and happy I his work/ life.

Prior to this he has been itchy and miserable but I wasn't unhappy with his general attitude but have noted a big improvement, back to his chilled self that he was as a 2 yo.

Is it coincidence?

DJ

Visit site
I wouldn`t say it`s a coincidence. Getting copper into my lad made a big difference to calming him down (that and Magnesium which he was also deficient in) and it happen for a friends black welsh D too.

trickivicki

Visit site
Ossy is a black section D too.

How strange! I really hadn't noticed him getting edgier/ sharper until I rode yesterday and he was super quiet but responsive.

maccachic

Visit site
They all (minerals) interact with each other so a deficiency in one can also lead to issues with others, everything needs to be balanced which is when you get a normal horse.

cptrayes

Visit site
Yes.

Copper is used in regulating insulin. Insulin issues can cause itchiness and unpredictable behaviour. I had an insulin resistance horse once who had sweet itch and panic attacks and both disappeared when I got his insulin under control.

Lots of horses in this country are copper deficient because of high iron levels in our soils. Iron blocks copper uptake. Which is why barefooters are so insistent on feeding a supplement with no iron and high copper.