Can horses change?

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
I’ve had a German warmblood for 8 weeks now, first 8 weeks she was a star.. loads perfect, hacks out alone, jumps everything, gave me lots of confidence.

I had her vetted, she passed and I paid for her on the 8th week.

Suddenly it’s like I have a different horse, she won’t leave the yard without napping and rearing.. she won’t load (rearing) she’s starting to have tantrums In lessons where she has learnt that this un-nerves me.

If my instructor gets on she is foot perfect..

Does this mean I’m the problem and if so, how and why has it changed?

paddi22

Visit site
Are you being tough enough on her? Are you really clear on behavioural boundaries?

Has anything else changed in the last 8 weeks (feed/routine/turnout/herd)

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Are you being tough enough on her? Are you really clear on behavioural boundaries?

Has anything else changed in the last 8 weeks (feed/routine/turnout/herd)

A few things in that respect, she had become very attached to a horse that left around 4 weeks ago but she has a mini as a companion and she isn’t fazed or bothered by being separated from him.

Routine is the same, turnout fields are the same.

Feed, she has changed slightly, she was quite lazy so I was suggested a different feed but it has the same protein and digestible energy.

Am I being tough enough... if I’m honest, probably not now she’s playing up.. she scared me abit by the rearing and she has knocked my confidence abit.

TheMule

Visit site
If someone else gets on and she doesn't display any of those behaviours then yes, it most likely is you! So then you need to figure out what it is about how you're approaching things with her that is causing this behaviour

Fiona

Visit site
Yes I definitely think that they can, my son's new pony was amazing for the first few weeks then started to test him out a little.

I'd recommend removing the hard feed though, just to make sure....

Good luck..

Fiona

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If she does it for you and not your instructor it is probably something you are doing. Your instructor should be the best one to tell / show you where the problem is coming from.

Sven

Visit site
At a recent feed seminar I attended by an independent nutrionist she said starch is your enemy not protein, check to see how much starch is in the new fed compared to the old one.

Ceriann

Visit site
I would start with the feed. Take it back to where you were when she was behaving and see. Also talk to you instructor - if they can see the issues but be ok riding your mare then can they help you break it down into possibilities? I know it’s hard (I have plenty of confidence issues) but your nervousness after the rearing will not help her or you. Do you lunge before you ride - it might help you assess how willing/unwilling she might be before a ride. Lots of groundwork too to establish your relationship. Best of luck.

rachk89

Visit site
It's of no offence but it's you. She's bad for you, but good for your instructor. Instructor will be stricter with her. But it's very easy to be too nice to your own horse. Mine can be silly with me, but I doubt he'd dare do the same thing with my instructor.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's of no offence but it's you. She's bad for you, but good for your instructor. Instructor will be stricter with her. But it's very easy to be too nice to your own horse. Mine can be silly with me, but I doubt he'd dare do the same thing with my instructor.

I agree this happens but often a horse in pain will grit its teeth and get on with it for a stronger rider it’s not always just being naughty with its owner .
The desire and ability of some horses to hide pain never ceases to amaze me its a extordinary evolutionary trait .

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
A few things in that respect, she had become very attached to a horse that left around 4 weeks ago but she has a mini as a companion and she isn’t fazed or bothered by being separated from him.

Routine is the same, turnout fields are the same.

Feed, she has changed slightly, she was quite lazy so I was suggested a different feed but it has the same protein and digestible energy.

Am I being tough enough... if I’m honest, probably not now she’s playing up.. she scared me abit by the rearing and she has knocked my confidence abit.

I agree with GS about the bloods but if the feed has changed then the horse has changed, change the feed back to what it was before. Some horses react differently from others to individual ingredients.

rachk89

Visit site
I agree this happens but often a horse in pain will grit its teeth and get on with it for a stronger rider it’s not always just being naughty with its owner .
The desire and ability of some horses to hide pain never ceases to amaze me its a extordinary evolutionary trait .

True actually. Mine did it the other way around, was worse with a stronger rider than me. But he had to do very little to scare me. Had to do more to get the better rider to stop.

flying_high

Visit site

I think it depends. Before I had my horse scoped for ulcers, I tried my trainer on him a few times. Yes she could get him forward from behind and round and looking like a dressage horse. But he was furious - eyes flashing, tight, tense and very unhappy (all she was asking for was to trot a 20 metre circle for a horse competing at medium!)

If your horse is working calmly, softly, with soft eye and relaxed muscles for your trainer, then yes, it IS you, and you need to address your relationship and riding authority with the horse. If she is more obedient but still unhappy, tight, cross eye, tail swishing with trainer, may be a physical pain issue to find.

Alibear

Visit site
I think it depends. Before I had my horse scoped for ulcers, I tried my trainer on him a few times. Yes she could get him forward from behind and round and looking like a dressage horse. But he was furious - eyes flashing, tight, tense and very unhappy (all she was asking for was to trot a 20 metre circle for a horse competing at medium!)

If your horse is working calmly, softly, with soft eye and relaxed muscles for your trainer, then yes, it IS you, and you need to address your relationship and riding authority with the horse. If she is more obedient but still unhappy, tight, cross eye, tail swishing with trainer, may be a physical pain issue to find.

This 100%.
My mare is a saint when she's in a new environment and not sure of herself. Once she's settled and confident then she'll start to just test the waters a bit.

flying_high

Visit site
My other suggestion if you rule out pain, and it is behaviour with you, is get an oversized hunting breastplate (don't need the martingale bit I'd take it off), and a R-stor.

Hold on to one or other, loosen the reins so not hanging onto her face, and keep sending her forward. It is virtually impossible to fall off with a hand on the R-stor or the breastplate. And it is massive confidence boost for rider, knowing have secure hand hold when need it, on big moving forwards horse. Once mare realises she cant intimidate you things will get easier.

http://www.rstor.co.uk/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-Hunt...417514?hash=item1cb26aa3ea:g:oy4AAOSwgw9bS7IY