can horses get ear mites?

dizzypip

Visit site
i've just noticed my horse has tiny bleeding scabs inside both his ears. the only thing i can think of is ear mites or something similar, i've never seen this before has anyone else had the same problem?

Rosyryan

Visit site
Do the bugs look like tiny black armadilloes? They fly into the ear and feed off the inner area of the ears, asyou say leaving scabs, they also lay bright yellow eggs--gross! you need to buy some "summer fly cream" available from Agri/feed merchants, apply cream with a wadge of cotton wool morning and evening it's very good only drawback is that it's bright yellow but does the job, shoud be about £5--£6 per pot but lasts for ages. Of course if neds ears are inflamed or very sore then you may need some antibiotic cream fromyour vet.

dizzypip

Visit site
yes thats exactly wot they look like. thank you! have ordered that cream, his ears dont seem very inflamed think the fly's have only just started biting him. will use the cream n see how it goes, thanks
grin.gif

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I have out a fly mask on mine because of these they are really bad in my aread, also the vaseline type fly cream works if you smear it on the inside of the ear, also sudocrem and zinc and castor oil cream are good to soothe it too. Hope this helps.

Louby

Visit site
Years ago I was told to put some olive oil (the stuff from the chemist not supermarket) on cotton wool and wipe it on the area affected. Dont know what it was supposed to do but it worked.