Can horses have too much variety in their work?

tiga71

Visit site
I just came from a tack shop and was talking to lady about doing a dressage lesson later today with a posh trainer (we are only doing basic stuff) and then tomorrow doing our first endurance competitive ride. We also talked about me doing trec and cross country with my horse.

She seemed to think that doing so many different things with my horse, ie one day dressage lesson, next endurance, will confuse him. One day expecting him to concentrate in indoor school and the next riding a long ride - inferring that he won't know what he is supposed to be doing.

I am not the most experienced but this seems a strange thing to think to me. Maybe if you are going to be an Olympic dressage rider, but even top eventers have to do dressage, jumping and cross country so surely the same thing.

Do you think a lot of variety in what horses do confuses them about their job?

My horse just gets on with what I ask at the time. He loves the variety we do - well I think he does. He seems very happy.

JFTDWS

Visit site
She's daft! Sometimes there are conflicting ideas - like dressage the horse should move under your weight while if you play Horseball or do games etc you need the horse to stay straight and let you hang off the side, but in general, variety is good and horses are smart enough to know when to do what.

Or maybe that's why I have ponies ;)

monkeybum13

Visit site
Ignore her ;)
Mine hunts, does RC stuff, dressage, sj, xc, endurance, you name is she's tried it. Never confused her :p (Although some advanced dressage moves have been displayed at some meets, haha!)

Sol

Visit site
One thing I would say, is that I think doing too many different things on a day to day basis CAN slow down progress. Someone pointed this out to me & it makes sense. What are you told when you have lessons? Go home, review the lesson the following day often and THEN have a break (at least, this is what I've always read/been advised). By doing something a few times (over a few days), you make it more solid & memorable. By flitting about too much, you never really do that. I have found it made a difference :) I've never not tried new things, but there's a reason that there's the saying 'practice makes perfect!'

zaminda

Visit site
I did my first SJ on one mare the day after she did an endurance ride. I think horses get bored doing the same thing day after day. Unless you are asking them to go in a markedly different way doing different things I don't see the problem. Some of the comments I have heard coming out of tack shop staffs' mouths recently is slightly terrifying! (and I say this as someone who used to run one!!)

Wildforestpony18

Visit site
Ridiculous! If you do too much off one thing, the neddy would get bored! I do hacking, dressage, showjumping, cross country, planning to do a small hunt, allsorts! Ignore her:)