Can horses see through mesh fly veils at night time ???

Notimetoride

Visit site
I know an awful lot of people who leave mesh fly masks/veils on overnight. I have personally always taken them off at night, thinking they cant see through them properly, but I seem to be in the minority. And the midges are worst at dawn and dusk, which is before & after Im at the yard, so now thinking I might start to leave on overnight. But if she cant see, that would be a bit mean :-o

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
He hasn't come in with a bump on his head yet...

I actually leave it on to help keep his muzzle on at this time of year when it is v. important it stays on!

Auslander

Visit site
Yep - I've got a clumsy one who would almost certainly fall over his own feet all the time if he couldn't see where he was going! He hasnt yet!

muckypony

Visit site
Glad you posted this as was thinking the same! Going to put mine out overnight but one has sweet itch and I've been worried about leaving him with his mask on at night.

Redders

Visit site
Mine stays on due to midges bring worst at dawn and dusk and she hasn't gotten lost or stood in the middle if the field wondering where all the grass went! Leave it on, they can see x

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Mine do ok and if ever there was a horse that would fall over if he couldn't see it's mine! Plus I checked out if I could by putting it over my face and wandering around to see if I could see, it may no difference to me so I thought the lads would be ok.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I do notice a difference in my two if I leave theirs on at night, they look more spooked at things. I don't like to leave them on, however if they had sweet itch and I couldn't bring them inside for dusk and dawn I'd leave the mask on.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Ours have them on 24/7. Point of interest though, if you look through them yourself, the black ones are easier for humans to see through. The silver ones seem to reflect. One of the old girls struggled with a light coloured one, we changed it to black and she was much better.

(Yep, we did look stupid running around the field with the masks on testing out our theory! :D)

NaeNae87

Visit site
Mine are in flyveils 24/7 in summer (the Aussie flies are very friendly...) they have never had any problems.

And also at the moment my TB has a corneal ulcer and is wearing a flyveil with an eye patch stitched into it 24/7. He can see just fine (except for the bit covered by the patch obvi :) ).

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Mine are in flyveils 24/7 in summer (the Aussie flies are very friendly...) they have never had any problems.

*shudders* I don't know how you do it, I remember the WA flies all too well, and the lady I helped near pinjarra used to live in fly veils herself - a wise choice!

casspow

Visit site
Following with interest! I believe they can see but think my lad would be one of the dopey ones stood in the middle going "where has all the grass gone" it also makes me wonder what happens when it rains? I was always led to believe the rain would fill the mesh holes - again could be a myth?
I have however just gone and bought one of them lycra heads from the well known company online - couldn't resist with a 25% off voucher! (He will be in this 24/7) :)