Can horses suffer from SAD?

joshesmum

Visit site
My horse has turned into a monster over the past few days, he try to kick me earlier when i was brushing him and he just seems very grumpy.He lives out 24/7 has access to his stable if he needs it and lives out with his 2 field companions, nothing in his routine has changed.I can remember him going like this last year round about this time and was wondering if horses can suffer winter blues like humans can,im worried because he is normally a lovely horse.
frown.gif

Kirsti1

Visit site
hi, yes i believe they can or they can feel it in us. my horse lives out, like yours, 24/7, has access to his stable etc. i work full time and don't have an arena to ride in so between october and february he only goes out for a ride at the weekends, he has his shoes taken off as well. he has got into this routine over the last 4 years i have owned him and by beginning of october he is horrible to ride, either really slow and bored or throwing himself about, he is also v grumpy ! maybe he gets it from me, i hate the winter, but spring comes along and off we go again enjoying ourselves. hang in there, summer is coming soon !

Cobnut1

Visit site
Maybe, maybe not, in any case it's too early for the symptoms of SAD to start. I'd get him checked out before you start assuming he has neurological problems.

Having SAD doesn't turn people into a monster, it makes them depressed and lethagic.... anything that has energy to burn in a montrous way, is something else.