Can I ask for some CC?

cliodhna

Visit site
Hi all,
About 6 months or so ago I posted a video of me riding and I got some really good constructive feedback which I was able to apply to my riding to try and improve. I am hoping to pick a few more brains again today:)

So a bit of background: This is a 6yo Connemara who was broken January 2012. She had a late start as she was bought in foal as a 3yo. I am hoping to do some local level ridden showing and maybe WH with her this summer and would appreciate any feedback anyone has on her way of going.
The video shows us following the introduction of a double bridle.
(I know on the right rein at one point when she is coming down the long side she is flexing too much to the inside-rider error:eek:)

I am sitting back very far here?:confused:

Canter video:

be positive

Visit site
Lovely pony that seems to be forward thinking, you look rather fixed on top as if more concerned about the head position than anything else and riding a bit too much from the hand, especially in the downward transition and when halting.
Try lifting the hand a little, this should enable her to lift her shoulders and move more freely without losing the outline. Flex her neck, encourage more bend through the whole body rather than just focusing on a "correct" outline, she needs to become softer through her whole frame then she will move with longer more expressive steps, become more elastic to move up and down the gears, you will be able to ride with less hand and more from your weight and leg.
The point where you do get too much inside bend is actually beneficial to the steps that follow, yes it was slightly too much and not what you expected but she loosened up and looked good afterwards.

Dexter

Visit site
Honestly? I'd go back to the snaffle and work on lots of long and low and forward into the contact. You have a stunning pony thats curled up and being pulled in by the double :eek:

amandaco2

Visit site
Lovely pony.
Agree everything needs to be lots more supple, loose and relaxed. I'd go back to the snaffle and work on those things with lots of transitions focused on soft contact and a longer more open neck

cliodhna

Visit site
No YouTube I'm afraid but the video is a photobucket link so should work?
Thanks for the replies and compliments for the pony. She's a good girl and I want to do her justice. Agree with things needing to be more supple and relaxed and am working towards this at the moment. Do you flex to both outside and inside? I know she can look curled behind the bit and take responsibility for that but I think the problem is exaggerated by her short neck. It makes her look tighter than she is at times. Because of the short neck though I know I need to work extra hard to get her stretching and reaching down (to give illusion of longest neck possible). My instructor has introduced her to the double for her and this was my first attempt. We will be going back to the snaffle to work on my position etc. She accepted it fine, unfortunately the rider isn't as bright!

Pigeon

Visit site
She's beautiful!

I agree just needs to be a bit lower and more relaxed, mine is a tense little dude and I find literally twenty mins of walking, doing stretches down, to the left and right, shoulder in, leg yield, serpentines and circles really helps him loosen up before the actual warming up.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Would love to see you riding much more softly and with a giving hand.

May also be worth checking where the saddle sits, and it seems quite far forward, with your legs ending up almost on the shoulder.

be positive

Visit site
You should be able to flex her both ways while she remains straight, do not expect too much at first, start in walk and make sure she really understands that she goes forward and stays straight before trying at trot, once she is happy in trot you can do it in canter but remember that flexing to the outside in canter will be unbalancing for her so do not ask for much.
It is easiest at first to flex outside on a long side, using loops off the track can help and is another useful exercise.

cliodhna

Visit site
Sorry, I couldn't quote yesterday as I was replying from my phone.

She's beautiful!

I agree just needs to be a bit lower and more relaxed, mine is a tense little dude and I find literally twenty mins of walking, doing stretches down, to the left and right, shoulder in, leg yield, serpentines and circles really helps him loosen up before the actual warming up.

Thanks:) I went for a stroll down the road before going into the arena the day these pics are from but should have done more before actually warming up so I will keep that in mind.

Would love to see you riding much more softly and with a giving hand.

May also be worth checking where the saddle sits, and it seems quite far forward, with your legs ending up almost on the shoulder.

Agree regarding the soft hand. Believe it or not this is an improvement. I kind of lost my nerve a bit a while back and completely stiffened up and my hands became very fixed. It seems to take no time at all to develop a bad habit, but a lifetime to lose it.
I know what you mean with the saddle, I've had it checked but will look into it again.

You should be able to flex her both ways while she remains straight, do not expect too much at first, start in walk and make sure she really understands that she goes forward and stays straight before trying at trot, once she is happy in trot you can do it in canter but remember that flexing to the outside in canter will be unbalancing for her so do not ask for much.
It is easiest at first to flex outside on a long side, using loops off the track can help and is another useful exercise.

Thanks for that. I used to do a lot of flexing in the walk and trot and then for some reason I got out of the habit. Thanks for your help:)