Can i ask for some schooling advice please?

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
Hi all me again (seem to be posting a lot tonight!)
Recently i've been given the ride on a 4year old 16hh warmbloodXIrish mare. She was only backed in april and has only been hacked out since backing and i've been drafted in to school aiming to start jumping her in the summer
Shes a beautiful little girl, incredibly nice and honest and kind, but obviously very very green.
Not surprisingly her trot is veeeeeeeeeery unbalanced and she wobbles a lot obviously finds it hard work. I've been getting her going forward mainly but have also started to do lots of circles and shapes serpentines etc havnt been concentrating on gettin her into an outline as i think she needs her balance first though if shes worked forward with a light contact she does tend to pick it up and round nicely without me asking.
ANYWAY yeh so other than lots of circles and things like that is there anything in particular that i could be doing to make her more balanced OTHER THAN pole work (as its not only way too soon for that but this ladys arena is way to sticky for pole work!)
Basically any good exercises people have used with such young horses?

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Lunging! With the use of lunging aids too E.g side reins etc. You can work on getting her in moving correctly, build up the right muscles and balance, not falling out her shoulders and moving with her hind through her back, topline and poll rather then the most eco way!

GTs

Visit site
20+ minutes of lunging per day - 90% at trot! I would not use gadgets yet - I prefer not to use gadgets until you have 3 good gaits - but that is just MHO!

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Agree with gts but alot of horses are balanced till they have you on them. I would concentrate on getting her going forward - prob more forward than you think. Would also do lots and lots and lots of transitions. Lots!

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Excellent thanks guys! So you think start her off without the pessoa and then add that in later on in the equation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah like in 3-6 months.