Can I come in please?

ElleJS

Visit site
Just to let you all (most anyway
tongue.gif
) know thank you soooo much for all the lovely messages and kind words. You all rock. I don't have time or the space in my life for any negativity and after throwing my self at whacking great big fences I reckon I can take most of what life throws at me on the chin!

Most importantly Connie:
Is my mare made of metal?! Not a scratch on her, her stomach muscles were sore where she wretched them but she is totally OK from the clonk. She merrily popped over her 5 bar gate today..... my bum hurts and thats it.

As for my fall. I'm not going to dwell on it at all, sh*t thats eventing!! 4*'s are bloody tough! Amazing, but its tough out there!

I'm sure we could have had a better approach but tbh honest we've had worse shots at bigger fences! (Con has a knack of being able to spring out of any situation)
However she did suddenly feel weird coming down to it and I tried balancing her as much as my body could in a short space of time but alas in vein. Her front end locked on and went for it but she hesitated with her hinds. (For those that think I needed more balancing I'm sure you are right but yanking a horse in the mouth is not balancing especially my mare who will throw her head up and TRUST me I was pulling her and lifting her up with my legs and body as I physically humanly could) She still should have operated though. She didn't and thats life.
(for those that thought we were going fast, come and watch her jump (or dressage!) sometime-
smile.gif
that will explain alot... she actually isn't fast.. She looks fast but she is an overgrown turbo charged JA pony on a mission and actually looks faster than she actually goes (think her legs go ten to the dozen) but I have no need to justify that to anybody. You either know her or you think you know better and I can't change that and really don't care too. To me she is the best. I ride this amazing horse! So I am the lucky one. I'm intrigued to meet the person who thought of us both so negatively, such a shame and feel deeply sorry for them.

Back to Con. Again like her weirdness at Badminton (she lost her 'ping' and I pulled her up) we thought she tied up. She again had all the symtoms (set fast etc..) and just like Badminton her bloods came back in 12hours completely normal. (We found 2 pulled muscles in her rump at Badminton which was uncharacteristic)
This year we have had a few funny moments with her slipping with her hind legs (Barbury castle 3* in the SJ where we has 1 rail down, Gatcombe 3* where she slipped behind and couldn't make a skinny so had a glance off, Bramham where she slipped in between two fences and subsequently jumped me out the plate)

All really little things, but perhaps rather than blaming bad luck, putting all these things together makes us realise we need to investigate further. Vets have thought kissing spine or more likely she may have something come up from a hock xray.

She has never ever had a scan, xray or a lame day and went advanced at 8years old so I guess she will have wear and tear somewhere! She also does a lot more than most horses, in the dressage!! If only they could speak... she has been so sound that we have had no reason to investigate anything!
Once she has had a little chill she is off to Newmarket for a MOT and then a holiday. She'll be fine, she is made of metal after all. Will keep everyone posted.

Any way thought I would have a ramble as most of you on here are a rather nice lot and I know you would like to know how the pony was.

It does sadden me with the criticsm my friends and fellow competitors get sometimes and I have to admit I would love to rant and rage but what can you do, We choose to make are careers/successes/mistakes rather public so I guess that is the price. There are always jealous people in every sport and you have to take it on the chin.

Again, thank you,

smile.gif
Laura & Connie.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Yay, glad she's fine
smile.gif
(oh and that you are too of course!
wink.gif
)

Sounds like she is made of steel, which I guess is all good for next years campaign isn't it?
smile.gif

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Can I just say a huge well done to you for being so objective about what has been written by some on here and rising above it- I'm sure the temptation to rant back was huge and I'm not sure I'd manage to write something so composed and eloquent if I were you!
wink.gif

Big well done again to you for being good enough to qualify and be there on merit in the first place. Really gutted for you to have yet another set back, but I'm sure it will make your 4**** completion in the future much sweeter when it comes around.

Big healing vibes to you both and glad to hear there's no major damage from Saturday. Fingers crossed Connie sails through her MOT at "Robo-Con" is back to form asap.

icestationzebra

Visit site
Hey you!

Glad you are ok and that Connie is too - you are both as tough as old boots!!!

I just feel sorry that you felt you had to come on here and justify yourself
mad.gif
As you say eventing is dangerous and we all have falls, make mistakes and get it wrong sometimes - but hey that is life and good on your for being pragmatic about it all. Just remember - no one likes a know-all and there is no one out there that is perfect.

Chin up girl - big well done from me. You are braver than I would ever be in a million years just to even leave the Burghley start box
wink.gif

Best wishes for Connie's diagnostics too.
X

Pasha

Visit site
I haven't commented before on any posts as i'm not an eventer and can only imagine (which is scary enough) how tough it must be to complete an event at any level! BUT just wanted to say that I am glad you are both ok and hope Connie sails though her MOT x

Loving "Robo-Con" too
grin.gif

kit279

Visit site
Glad to hear your lovely mare is not too sore. I didn't say anything at the time but I think what you have achieved with Connie is very special and you should be enormously proud - you ride a damn sight better than most people I know and you have the results to prove it. I'm sure your first 4* completion is just around the corner - and how many of us can say that??! Hope all goes well at Newmarket and wishing you the best for next season.

ElleJS

Visit site
Loving Robo-Con, I can see that sticking...
smile.gif

Don't worry i'm not justifying my self more like letting everyone know my version! I was there after all...
smile.gif

Rana

Visit site
QR

Thank you for posting and updating us. Glad you're both ok and hope the investigation doesn't show a major problem
smile.gif

Can I just say (if no one already has!) that the tannoy commentator at Burghley was very complimentary about your line at the water (relayed from fence judge presumably). I was watching at that fence and thought it looked good, but I didn't have the greatest view (and I'm just a sofa-eventer so I wouldn't dare to comment
grin.gif
)

Helen010382

community.webshots.com
Pleased you are both safe and well.

I swear I heard the crowd sigh when it came over the loudspeaker you had fallen - there was a lot of HHO support for you there and please don't let a few negative comments put you off.

Hope Connie enjoys her holiday and fingers crossed the MOT comes back clear.

langside

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Glad you are ok and that Connie is too - you are both as tough as old boots!!!

X

[/ QUOTE ]

couldn't say it any better!!

i thought you rode an amazing round and so glad to hear your both ok (other than a sore bum)
hopefully MOT shows nothing major but could explain a few things so then she can enjoy her holiday
smile.gif

smile.gif
at an attempt to lighten the mood (or what my father always says when things didnt go to plan)......
at least you know you could have been a gymnist as your dismount was a perfect 10
grin.gif

Pinkwellies2

Visit site
Obviously I don't know you and not being an eventer couldn't possibly comment on what happened but just wanted to say its really nice to hear both you and Connie are okay, I saw your fall on the TV and thought OH SH*T. I had just commented to my OH that you came on here when it happend and I have been looking out for an update on how you both were.

Anyway down to the important stuff, where did you get that fabulous jacket you wore for the trot-up
grin.gif

checkmate1

Visit site
I think that was an extremly well written post!
So glad to hear Connie is ok I watched it on TV on sunday and as soon as your name came up I knew what was going to happen- amazing metal horse!! Hope your bum and connies stomach muscles feel much better soon.

Bug

Visit site
I also want to add that I personally think you and Connie are an inspiration and I am just sad that my fingers, toes, legs being crossed wasn't enough for your first 4* completion.

I was standing at the water jump at Burghley and thought you were riding brilliantly and Connie was pinging, I was really surprised when I saw the jump/fall as you were going so well.

Also, don't forget if it was that easy it wouldn't mean so much...

Good luck with the tests, I for one will be hoping to see you out and about next season x

deskbound

Visit site
SO PLEASED to see you posting - so happy you sound well, and most importantly that Robo-Con (now there's a name that will stick
wink.gif
) is recovering fine. All fingers crossed for diagnostics, but since she is steel.... I
tongue.gif
t may only be 3.45 but a glass of wine raised to you (or rather will be later).
grin.gif
And besides, for the record, you went to Burghley and won a prize
cool.gif
- it might not be the one you wanted (this time) - but it's still a prize, and we all love prizes!!!
grin.gif

BBs

Visit site
Hey you
smile.gif

Has your physio/chiro person been yet?
Good luck at Newmarket hope they find something which will answer the questions for her lack of form in the dressage and the odd moments behind.

Love to you both.
x

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
[ QUOTE ]
I swear I heard the crowd sigh when it came over the loudspeaker you had fallen - there was a lot of HHO support for you there and please don't let a few negative comments put you off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, meant to add that too! There's a huge number of us on here who aspire to a fraction of what you have achieved and love hearing about how you get on, so please don't stop coming in here!
frown.gif

PS- agree with whoever was asking about your jacket from the trot up, it was lovely!
smile.gif
And what prize did you win for both of you looking so glam?
laugh.gif

Cyrus

Visit site
Heres to the future my dear its going to be a fun old ride and we`re very much looking forward to celebrating that 4* completion with you

As ive said before you looked fantastic coming by us Connie looked so in her element, hope she enjoys her holiday and that she passes her MOT with flying colours

Don`t mention when shes down in Newmarket lol im only an hour away and really wouldnt mind pony napping her

ElleJS

Visit site
Yes he has been, so has vet, they are thinking KS is very unlikely as she really can't have jumped around 4 3*'s and 2 4*'s this year with it?? Can she??!!! They actually think we may end up finding something in her hocks which is making her weak behind and caused her to seize, bank a few of the fences and slip beghind. Hopefully it will just be a case of cortozone injections and cortaflex. Oh god i hope so!
They have decided New Market would be best for an all round MOT as the focus on performance loss and that I should get the guy at Avon vale to look at any suspect xrays as he is the man apparently!

Shipley

Visit site
I am so glad you are both ok, other than needing a bit of time to recover the muscles.

fingers crossed something small and fixable is found and well done.

Its an amazing achievement to quailfty a horse to 4* and most people never achieve 2*'s.

I have followed your posts, never coments as a mear riding club bod I dont think my advice would be woth typing but well done again and good luck.

jennystreek

Visit site
Glad to hear you are both ok (and fingers crossed the examination work comes out fine).

I saw the post on here, but didnt think it was appropriate to comment on anything until you had given your own version of events first.

I watched the video for the first time yesterday and saw your round. She is so nimble on her feet - like a pony, and definately knows where her hooves are
grin.gif
Wish my mare was as keen as her to tackle the fences with such courage!! As for the fall, feel so sorry for you both that it happened so near the end. Just looked as though her back legs didnt take off - as you've explained.

Lucky you for having such a good horse to ride. Despite what happened at that fence, I bet you feel so safe riding her, knowing that she can get herself out of trouble easily. When my nappy mare does go XC willingly, she feels like that too - never have to worry about legs dangling or getting in the way - gives you a feel that you could jump anything and land safely on the other side.

Good luck with her, and well done for getting round the majority of the course making it look so easy!!
smile.gif

x

ElleJS

Visit site
As for the amazing jacket, Desigual from House of Fraser, and in the sale!! Score! Got a lovely trophy on my mantle piece now

BBs

Visit site
I really dunno honey, shes a real toughie anything is possible, these horses will try their hardest for us even if its painful.
Lets hope its something that can be treated simply.
AvonVale is worth getting involved esp as theyre nice and close to you
smile.gif
he is a pretty good guy, you know what I think of him
smile.gif
so pleased NM think he should be involved too.
Please keep us posted sweets.

MegaBeast

Visit site
Thanks for the update, let us know how the MOT goes, hopefully it will throw up something minor and easily fixable.

It's so easy for the watcher to criticise but you were the one on top who knows your special mare inside out, what you have achieved with her is fantastic

LauraBR

Visit site
Nevermind Robo-Con, what about Ninja-Laura?!
shocked.gif

I don't think I have ever seen someone somersault so fast and so neatly and walk away from such a horrific fall like you did!
shocked.gif

Fingers crossed for Newmarket, I'm sure you'll both come back better than ever and I can't wait to see you in action again after her well deserved holiday
smile.gif

meardsall_millie

Visit site
Welcome back - so pleased you've decided to rise above all the cr*p and stick with us (we're not all horrible you know!
smirk.gif
).

I saw your dressage (she's not easy is she?
crazy.gif
) and some of your XC. Huge respect for getting out there and living the dream.
laugh.gif

Sincerely hope they find nothing at the MOT, or if there is something it's minor and easily treatable.