Can I dye an Orange saddle?

joben

Visit site
Have eventually found a jumping saddle that fits my difficult-to-fit horse. i have bought it but the leather is bright orange. Is it possible to use leather dye or any other suggestions?

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
wouldn't want to try dying it to be honest as not sure how effective the result would be and if the dye would hold if wet. Most likely someone who can give a better answer than me regarding effects of dying though on here.

My suggestion would be coloured leather conditioner or just plain lots of oil which will help darken it. I though wouldn't be overly bothered infact I used to have an orange saddle when on 12h2s as that just happened to be the colour the make came in which was made to measure for my pony!

parsley

Visit site
Now why would you want to dye it? Orange can be a very nice colour
wink.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I know someone who tried to dye a saddle with shoe dye!!! Looked O.K. till she rode in the rain and then everthing it touched turned black, jods, horse everything!!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Might be O.K. if you use the right type of Dye, but I think you have to strip the oil out first, or it won't hold. Have you got a friendly saddler you can ask? Oiling should make it darken quite a lot though.

K9Wendy

Visit site
As recommended to me by a tack shop owner who sells a huge amount of saddles, some redyed!!

This will horrify you... but it works...

You need to wash down your saddle with hot water, hot enough for hands but not boiling, using fairy liquad, and a rough sponge/cloth, and strip all the oil & gunk off saddle (this is important), don't dispair it won't fall apart. Dry off with a towel and leave for a day or two in a room in your house, not a cold garage but equally not against a radiator. It will look horrendous, mine looked green, dull & I thought I had distroyed it!!

Next you use a liquid leather dye, like Dylon shoe dye in the required colour. Paint it on using a 1/2" paintbrush (not the silly one provided by Dylon) the dye will just soak in, use plenty, it took 2 bottles for my saddle. When it dries in after a day or two, you then need to apply a coat of saddle oil, then you polish it up with normal saddle dressing.

I did this on a good Albion Dressage saddle that had faded terribly, it came up perfect. The oiling seals in the dye..

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Think thats where my friend went wrong, as certain she didn't use hot water and fairy liquid and probably didn't even make sure it was dry.

allijudd

Visit site
yes you can but m,ake sure you buy proper leather dye (i spilt some on a yellow leather sofa and dyed the arm brown and it wouldnt comeoff properly so i know it wouldnt run...)

try getting it from www.abbeysaddlery.co.uk
the stuff made by fiebings is the best

filly190

Visit site
I had an orange saddle for my first pony and every time it rained I got dye all over me. Over time the colour became more acceptable and I still have it today.