Can I pick your brains - regarding bits

Kenzo

Visit site
Can I ask you for some suggestions please?

Right I'll keep this short, welshy doing her first dressage on Monday (weather permitting as I've got to hack up) which will no doubt be entertaining for anyone who thinks dressage is boring.

But we have a little problem, the bit she has is not dressage legal, myler, medium port, hooks. This is the bit the owner put her in ages ago, not sure if it was for the reasons of needing that particular bit or if it was more a case of the stick a myler in there much kinder for the horse etc etc so I have no history on what bits have been used or tried in the past.

What I do know is she has occasionally puts her tongue over the bit and I do know in the past she used to do it a quite a lot but its not an issue now as its only happed on a few occasions, also she can lean on the bit at times, she's very responsive and light and rides into a nice comfortable contact and breaks/turns are great when she's schooling which is good, however when she's out in company she can get a little stronger when she scampers off an spooks at something therefore bit doesn't quite have the same effect when schooling.

Anyway I know some of you may be thinking

....well why have you not been schooling her in something else which is dressage legal while preparing her, you cant exactly change her bit and expect her to get used to it 4 days before your test!...

Well yes you have a valid point a but also I've had to do a lot with her to get her to this stage and get some weight shifted off her and get used to each other as she can be a bit tricky at times, so the sensible thing was to stick with what she is used to and potentially go well in rather than making life more complicated and getting her used to a new bit while doing all the rest, so that is why.

Now this is where are you need to pick your brains, I've tried the Miler which is dressage legal, with a small port, no hooks and although she schooled in nicely in the arena, we have less control when she's being a baggage and well not as good breaks, doesn't seem to accept a contact as well and not as responsive with my hands, seems a tad numb in the mouth is the only way to describe it

So I'd be really grateful for any suggestions please on something that may be very similar to her usual bit but is acceptable to compete in which I will then try, I've not had a lot of experience with different bits as all my horses have always been in a bog standard loose ring or a French link snaffles or been ridden a double so I can't go off past experiences/problems if you see what I mean, I'd rather get advice of someone who has actually used that particular bit and found a equally good alternative rather than chatting to my local saddler etc and buying loads of bits when its not my horse.

Thank you and sorry I said it was going to be short but I'd rather explain it all so then you dont have to post lots of questions
smile.gif

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Have a look at www.informedbitting.com and see if there is anything in the informed designs that might do. Hilary Vernon builds her bits with a forward curve (helps with horses that put their tongues over the bit) - something like the hanging cheek designs with maybe a lozenge mouthpiece would be similar to what your horse is used to, but give you a bit more in the way of brakes.

Alternatively, email Hilary direct and she will give you advice which would be a lot better than mine!
smile.gif

teddyt

Visit site
Because of the hooks on your current bit there will be a bit of poll pressure. A filet baucher offers poll pressure. To give more room for the tongue a curved mouthpiece would be good. If not then maybe a french link/lozenge rather than a single joint or mullen mouth.
Neue schule offer curved mouthpieces and bauchers but im not sure if they do them together. Worth investigating though.

Kenzo

Visit site
Thank you again that is really helpful I'll see what my local tack shop has in, they have really good selection so hopefully there will be one there, I dont mind buying a few bits if there not exensive but I'd only be using it for dressage/schooling hence why I dont want buy one expensive bit if its she doesnt take to it as I was kindly allowed to borrow the other myler.

Many Thanks

Kenzo

Visit site
Well I don't know what to do now as I've contacted the owner (well just dropped her a text) and she said she said she doesn't want to go down that route as she's funny with her mouth, which I totally understand, I always say if its not broken why fix it, hence never had much experience with other bits, so yes totally appreciate what she's saying but if she wants me to compete her and school her for doing stuff like dressage then I have no option, she told me to double check with Myler that its not dressage legal but I already know that its isn't.
frown.gif

Could enter non competition (see as I've already entered) and just knock it on the head after then, but it seems such a shame after I've been doing hours and hours in the school with her.
frown.gif

Horses eh...permanent headaches!
grin.gif

bellaboo

Visit site
I know it probably dosen't help now seeing what the owner has said, but i usually ride my mare in the myler combination, for dressage competitions i put her in a JP french link hanging cheek, it holds the bit higher in her mouth like with the mylers and also has a curved mouthpiece to be comfortable for her. Works very well with my mare but i know they are all different. I hope you find a solution.

ajn1610

Visit site
Could you hack over and warm up in her normal bit and just change to the other one you tried for the actual competition? Once she has warmed up and settled you shouldn't have the brake issues.
Obviously the owner has the final say but she does seem to be contradicting herself a bit. I'd go back to her confirm it isn't dressage legal and ask what she wants you to do. Even if you can't change the bit you may as well go HC as you've entered and you'll still get your score and feedback. If the pony goes well the owner may be inclined to make the necessary cahnges to be dressage legal for next time.

Kenzo

Visit site
Yes I think that is the best idea, it's a suck and see type of outing anyway and if she's going to be difficult I'd rather her be like it in her normal bit, she said she was coming up to watch but the owner is not into competing and doesn't know anything about dressage, so maybe when I get chance to see her and explain in more detail about why I was asking then she'll no doubt understand where I'm coming from a bit more.

Many thanks everyone.