Can I please introduce....

Lyle

Visit site
Just wanted to share a few snaps of my latest addition; Ridley! Riddles is a 3.5yo Welsh Section D gelding. I've had him 3 months, and boy, he's a spunk with tonnes of attitude! I've started to do groundwork with him, and he's been super quick to learn.
I'll be attempting to back him myself, I'm looking foreward to the challenge! I think he's going to be super fun :)
So here he is, in all his winter woollies glory!
Ridley.jpgridley2.jpgridley3.jpg

Marigold4

Visit site
He looks gorgeous! Perfect weight and condition. I too have one this age I'm backing myself later this summer so I'll be watching your progress with interest!

Lyle

Visit site
Thank you everyone for the kind words :) I'm pretty stoked with him, I've never dealt with the breed before and although he's not 'quiet' as such, I'm having a ball doing the groundwork and getting him to use the thinking side of his brain. He's very sharp, but I like to ride something with a bit of energy, as I tend to ride quiet (or, *cough* lazily...)
Although I think he's physically looking pretty much ready to break, I've got a lot I want to do with him groundwork wise before I do. He's quite reactive, everything 'new' tends to worry him, but once he's seen it, he's ok. Lot's of desensitising, he's quite easy to sensitise :p I think he's got quite a bit of growing to do, I met his full brother who was a year older and simply enormous. Would love to get him out to some inhand breed classes in the spring. Just enjoying the journey, he's a completly different kettle of fish to what I've worked with before!

ihatework

Visit site
Welcome to the world of the Welsh. They are a brilliant breed for people who ‘get’ them.

Lyle

Visit site
Dragon fire, I like that! There is quite a bit of dragon snorting happening when he's worried! If he does react, it's quite straightforeward to bring him back into line, which shows there is a bit of sense in his brain behind his bluster. I'll keep posting, I'll enjoy getting advice from people who know the breed. I've fallen in love, I think they are freaking awesome, he moves with so much power and balance, and is happy to pop over a ditch or up and down a bank, not fussed with things like that. Hopefully this summer, I'll be having a sit!

catkin

Visit site
He's lovely

Welsh do see the world in a different way - they are very very intelligent, great fun, and fabulous to work with as long as you are fair-minded. He will soon teach you what you 'need to know' - he's Welsh, he will have an opinion on everything.

Enjoy!

Gleeful Imp

Visit site
He's lovely. I've also got a 3 year old but he'll be backed in the autumn hopefully- I'd like him to mature a little more. He's my mid life crisis after falling in love with the breed. My mare can go full on dragon but is just fab. He's got the same temperament- wants to work with you and super quick brain. Have fun! Perhaps we should have a "backing your welshie" support thread 🤣🤣

McFluff

Visit site
He’s rather lush. Have fun this summer.
I’m currently horse shopping and rather a lot of welshD have made the list. There’s just something about their dragon fire... (this may come back to haunt me!)