Can I.......*please read need help*

Kristine

Visit site
Keep my Colt entire without him having any papers?

He was bred on the welsh mountains so obviously don't know who his Sire/ Dam are!

I've been told I can keep him entire and I can breed him but CANNOT charge a high price as no paper's but this sorce is not very reliable.

I would love to keep him entire because he is just so showy and in your face, but with him rising 3 I need decide whether to cut him or not.

Please if ANYBODY can shed some light on this it would help massivly (sp)

Thanks in advance

kx

Skhosu

Visit site
I wouldn't personally as no papers.
Good conformation?
The price is not likely to be high as I doubt his offspring wouldbe able to be registered?
And what would you intend to breed?
Any piccies?

Kristine

Visit site
I will post some picture's in photo album
His conformation is excellent
It not that I do want to breed from him but he's just got that much 'here i am' I'd hate to loose that if i had him gelded.

Skhosu

Visit site
If you don't want to breed I don't think you should keep him entire.
Have you thought about his care requirements?
On the other hand, I think we geld too much, but something with no papers and (presumeable) no performance record, I think should not be kept entire.

Tia

Visit site
Yes of course you can keep him entire if you so wish. He wouldn't be worth much if you were to stand him at stud because he has no papers hence unknown breeding - not many would wish to use him.

If he has this "here I am" attitude as a colt then I can assure you he will always have this whether left entire OR gelded.

I'm not sure whether you realise what you may let yourself in for though - stallions are often not the easiest horses to work with; if you do not own your own land then you may find problems finding somewhere to take him on livery; riding out could become a big deal and you may find that neighbours who have mares may not be your best friend - mares are reknowned for jumping fences to get to stallions or shoving their backside through adjoining fences........think long and hard about what you want to do.

Personally, no papers - NO way would I leave a stallion! But each to their own.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I know of a Gelding who was gelded late, and didnt lose that 'look at me' spark. They either have it or havent. He won't lose his neck, and will still be flashy. Personally, if he's not got history it's not worth keeping him entire.

Snowberry

Visit site
Personally I'd get them off - he wont lose his presence, I think thats a myth! we had a gorgeous colt, registered welsh section D who was very flashy and showy, gelded at 2 and he didnt lose any of his presence.

There are plenty of good stallions with papers/history/record etc. Why would anyone choose to put a mare to a stallion without that?

Happytohack

Visit site
Just had a look at the pix. He is lovely but as he is not registered and you don't particularly want to use him for breeding, definitely get him gelded. He'll always have the WOW factor. Another factor to consider is that a lot of livery yards do not have facilities for stallions, something that might arise sometime in his future.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Just remember it can take a year for him to settle as a gelding (if ya get me) So i would geld him now so when backing comes he'll be far more relaxed. There is no market for a welsh like him at stud how ever stunning he is (Just had a peak in gallery) Also as far as stallion ponies going think about hes future one. not many livery take stallions spesh ponies as they cuase trouble!! two. Ponies will alway be wanted by children.