Can I put brushing boots on my heavily feathered cob and it not be uncomfortable?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I'd want to look more closely at why he's moving so close, it's not something we often consider an issue, but it isn't ideal and is usually perfectly possible to reduce through things like Balance Through Movement Method groundwork or anything that helps his thoracic sling. This work helps strengthen the chest and shoulder girdle and corrects base narrow stance or movement. Feather should be enough to prevent light brushing, more than that is worth addressing. And definitely don't use boots if there is no significant interference, there are very breathable options available at cost, but overall boots don't help tendons.

Poppy+MrDarcy

Visit site
I'd want to look more closely at why he's moving so close, it's not something we often consider an issue, but it isn't ideal and is usually perfectly possible to reduce through things like Balance Through Movement Method groundwork or anything that helps his thoracic sling. This work helps strengthen the chest and shoulder girdle and corrects base narrow stance or movement. Feather should be enough to prevent light brushing, more than that is worth addressing. And definitely don't use boots if there is no significant interference, there are very breathable options available at cost, but overall boots don't help tendons.
I'm sorry ? I didn't really know much about 'brushing boots' as such ? but I understand he doesn't need them now ??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221207-082109.png
    Screenshot_20221207-082109.png
    992.9 KB · Views: 58

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Bucking is so often related to the thoracic sling issues. I was trying to find a post about it on the profile of the lady who does the BTMM I mentioned above, but if the muscles in the shoulders, the TS, aren't working as they should, it's thought that they don't cushion the big complex nerve bundles that run through them. These nerves can get compressed/twinged and cause bucking. It's not talked about a lot but more people are agreeing that this is a big cause of bucking, headshaking, those kind of twitchy/sudden reactive things.

Poppy+MrDarcy

Visit site
Bucking is so often related to the thoracic sling issues. I was trying to find a post about it on the profile of the lady who does the BTMM I mentioned above, but if the muscles in the shoulders, the TS, aren't working as they should, it's thought that they don't cushion the big complex nerve bundles that run through them. These nerves can get compressed/twinged and cause bucking. It's not talked about a lot but more people are agreeing that this is a big cause of bucking, headshaking, those kind of twitchy/sudden reactive things.
I think we did figure out why he was bucking, we have changed his saddle, and it fits him now, also he has sensitive Withers so we put a tea towel under the pommel, he hasn't bucked since then so we think it might be resolved!!!!

View

Visit site
I hope I don’t offend you, but you sound fairly young and inexperienced.

Brushing boots are not normally worn unless the horse is being worked (ridden/lunged/long reined or in hand). Their purpose is to stop injury from the horse striking itself.

A fairly comprehensive run down of the basics is the Pony Club Manual of Horsemanship.

Poppy+MrDarcy

Visit site
Sorry, I meant why was it that you were asking about brushing boots one evening and the following morning had decided that you didn't need them. I wondered what had changed.
Oh I don't think it was an evening before, but I was a new horsey person back then so I really didn't know much about boots and their purpose ?

Poppy+MrDarcy

Visit site
I hope I don’t offend you, but you sound fairly young and inexperienced.

Brushing boots are not normally worn unless the horse is being worked (ridden/lunged/long reined or in hand). Their purpose is to stop injury from the horse striking itself.

A fairly comprehensive run down of the basics is the Pony Club Manual of Horsemanship.
I haven't been an equestrian for too long I got into horses later on so I haven't had the same knowledge as others yet ?

View

Visit site
I haven't been an equestrian for too long I got into horses later on so I haven't had the same knowledge as others yet ?

And we all learn by enquiring of others and reading. The Manual of Horsemanship is a very good starting point.

We are all still learning, and the day I stop learning around horses is the day I shouldn’t be around them.