Can people hack with friends during COVID 19?

Ali27

Visit site
Most people in my area are still hacking their horses out. I stopped hacking in company straight away! However over the last few days, I’ve seen several people hacking together and not from the same household!

SpringArising

Visit site
One thing that is unclear to me is this:

• you should only go outside alone or with members of your own household
  • gatherings of more than two in parks or other public spaces have been banned and the police will enforce this
If there's more than two people in your HH, that effectively means you can't go outside as a household unless it's in your garden? Which makes the first guideline a moot point.

stormox

Visit site
I suppose if theyr hacking 6ft apart... I think a 'gathering' is of different households, a household can go out as a family.... but everyone should stay in if they dont HAVE to go out...

Widgeon

Visit site
To be completely honest I'm not sure what this post is trying to achieve. I'm pretty sure the answer to the question is "no", but there are lots of people who are not following the rules. Unless you are going to approach them and suggest that their behaviour is unwise I can't see the point in starting a thread that seems designed to show that you are virtuous and other people are not. Honestly if you can say something to them, please do, there is always a small chance that they just haven't engaged their brains and thought their actions through.

Edited to add, sorry, that was a bit harsh. I'm just getting fed up of the current wave of online virtue signalling! In defence of people who are still hacking out in pairs, I agree that the guidance is not very clear. I suspect that it's supposed to be prohibited, but the guidance doesn't really make it explicit.

Ali27

Visit site
Haha! Widgeon, I’m honestly not trying to be virtuous! I’m just confused as to whether the daily exercise rules of just with your own household apply to hacking too? I would love to be out hacking again in company but thought it wasn’t allowed! I guess different people are interpreting the rules differently! Just hope they don’t do a stricter lock down and ban exercise completely!

Iris1995

Visit site
The regulations, which are law rather than guidance, are very clear.

Exercise can be taken alone or with other members of the same household.

People cannot participate in a gathering of more than two people except for some exceptions, one of which is that they are from the same household.

Hacking with friends is not cited as an exception. However if they could demonstrate they were professionals who were at work they may be within the law.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/made/data.pdf

Widgeon

Visit site
Haha! Widgeon, I’m honestly not trying to be virtuous! I’m just confused as to whether the daily exercise rules of just with your own household apply to hacking too? I would love to be out hacking again in company but thought it wasn’t allowed! I guess different people are interpreting the rules differently! Just hope they don’t do a stricter lock down and ban exercise completely!

Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm a grumpy a*se today. I think Ricotta answers it though.

I think the biggest problem at the moment is not pairs of people exercising together but the hordes of muppets who seem to think it's a good idea to go to the beach or on holiday in the Lake District. I'm also worried that they will end up causing a stricter lockdown.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Or, everyone could make an attempt at thinking about getting to the end of the crisis asap and staying indoors as much as possible. Without humans spreading the virus the virus is stationery and therefore dead. If the virus isn't allowed to move people will stop dying.

It is hard for everyone of us, but trying to get 'around' or to 'adapt' the guidance to enable non essential activities to take place is just plain stupid.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Or, everyone could make an attempt at thinking about getting to the end of the crisis asap and staying indoors as much as possible. Without humans spreading the virus the virus is stationery and therefore dead. If the virus isn't allowed to move people will stop dying.

It isnt that simple AA, sorry. The virus is worldwide, people can infect while having no symptoms, and we would have to shut our borders until every country in the world was free of it to remain free of it.

The social distancing isn't to stop the virus, it's to keep the number of sick people low enough for the health service to treat people who need it.

The quickest way to end the crisis would be for us all to go and snog everyone in sight. The death toll would be horrific.

Nobody should be breaking the guidelines, people will die needlessly.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Visit site
No.

If they are from different households, even though they may be 6ft apart when hacking, they will be touching the same gates etc and could spread it between themselves. Yards on lockdown aren't doing it for fun.

All the virus wants is a new host - it doesn't care how it gets from one host to another or who that host is.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Regardless of the reasoning behind it we have all been instructed to stay at home as much as possible. If people do not follow this instruction Matt Hancock the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care has clearly said that further restrictions will be imposed, such as not allowing people outside to exercise.

You should not be hacking with people not from the same household in the same way that you should not be cycling, running or walking with them. Unfortunately the minority bending or not following the rules will spoil it for everyone.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It isnt that simple AA, sorry. The virus is worldwide, people can infect while having no symptoms, and we would have to shut our borders until every country in the world was free of it to remain free of it.

The social distancing isnt to stop the virus, it's to keep the number of sick people low enough for the health service to treat people who need it.

The quickest way to end the crisis would be for us all to go and snog everyone in sight. The death toll would be horrific.

Nobody should be breaking the guidelines, people will die needlessly.

I put it in simple terms in the hope that the people who are hell bent on adapting the guidance to suit their own end might understand what has really been very simple advice from the UK government. Stay at home.

Michen

Visit site
You’re supposed to be staying within your own household group and not meeting friends. Obviously you’re not meant to be hacking with friends. We’re supposed to be trying to stop the spread. When will people take it seriously!!!
When will people listen to what’s being said.
SLOW the spread not stop. Argh! There is a massive difference.

scruffyponies

Visit site
We no longer hack with our sharers. We do still hack as a family. Since my children are full size now, I'm not sure how a casual observer would tell the difference.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I hacked with a friend from the same yard on Sunday. We stayed 2m away at the yard and during the ride. Even cane across a police officer who told us to have a good ride...

I don't know. I'm not "gathering" for fun. I'm exercising my horse and hers isn't good alone so she tagged along.

I think until we're told not to ride I'll probably carry on doing the same unless someone can tell me how I'm breaking guidelines?

Upthecreek

Visit site
I think it’s very simple. People are making it complicated by trying to adapt the guidelines/advice/law to suit their own circumstances and the things they want to continue to do.

Regardless of the reasons why people are not following the guidelines/advice/law if they are not actually staying at home, apart from minimal time outside the home for the permitted essential purposes, they are not doing as instructed by the government. It’s irrelevant whether or not individuals agree with the instructions, they are instructions not requests and every single member of society should be following them. It’s just that in the countryside if you bend or break the rules you are less likely to get ‘caught out’ than in towns and cities. That doesn’t mean what you’re doing is acceptable just that you can probably do it without getting told not to.

w1bbler

Visit site
Disclaimer, I am no longer riding, purely doing in hand. However, initially I was hacking with a friend from the yard. My horse is a saint, hers is a saint in company, but an arse its own.
I kept hacking with her for her safety. She is still hacking, but have heard she is struggling, but darent stop as hers is a lami risk.
It's never straightforward is it...