Can somebody tell me please...

rcm_73

Visit site
What is meant by "locking the jaw", "crossing the jaw" and "dropping the jaw" I have heard all three being used but am a bit confused as to what each one would look or feel like? When a horse takes the bit between the teeth is this classed as 'locking the jaw'?

Kal

Visit site
They are all pretty much similar. The head will go heavy and it feels like your reins are attached to a brick wall and you won't have a lot of steering. That is why a grackle or flash noseband helps, because they need to open their mouth to lock or cross it, so this keeps it shut.

rcm_73

Visit site
Hmm, sounds like my horse, in anything faster than a jog her head goes lower and mouth seems to disappear plus her bits always get huge teeth marks in them.

rcm_73

Visit site
Presently a NS lozenged eggbutt and drop but have used a flash and a grackle also but maybe they should have been tighter. I have a copper roller D ring that I used to use but she bit into the copper that much that a couple of them stopped turning..

Silverspring

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What is meant by "locking the jaw", "crossing the jaw" and "dropping the jaw" I have heard all three being used but am a bit confused as to what each one would look or feel like? When a horse takes the bit between the teeth is this classed as 'locking the jaw'?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they cross there jaw they quite often have to twist their neck to, it's feel like they're just pulling really hard, you need a noseband to correct this.
Dropping the jaw is when they open their mouth and drop the bit contact, the flash should stop this.
I've never heard of locking before but it sounds like what I would call falling onto the bit, yo're roller D should stop him getting a hold but it he leans on the bit maybe a waterford or french link would work?

Kal

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Presently a NS lozenged eggbutt and drop but have used a flash and a grackle also but maybe they should have been tighter. I have a copper roller D ring that I used to use but she bit into the copper that much that a couple of them stopped turning..

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm Maybe try the flash or grackle again, but make sure it's quite high up on the nose and not too lose. Bit wise i'm not so sure, looks like your trying the right bits though. Sorry i'm no more help.