Can someone tell me what this is?

matt_m

Visit site
Hi - I'm Matt and I used to ride as a kid, just getting back into it now and also now share a Welsh Sec D Gelding.

I was just wondering if you could help me with something. He is led with something I am not familiar with rather than a normal head collar and lead rope. I was told the name (ch? something I think? Big help!) it goes in the mouth rather like a bit but is a metal circle with a link at the bottom where the lead rope clips on and then has a leather strap which go behind the ears.

I have been trying for the life of me to remember the name and thought posssibblly from this vague description one of you peeps would be able to tell me.

Great forums by the way, really enjoying reading the posts.

matt_m

Visit site
Yes that is it - thank you very much, just looked it up and that's definitely it. I wasn't actually told it was for that just that 'he is a bit strong when led at times' she showed me how to use it once and seem to have been fine since but just couldn't remember the name of it! Interesting...

McNally

Visit site
My friend used to use one on her cob, he used to lift her up by it, don't think it worked on him

Woops! what a monkey.
I use them often at work Its surprising the difference they make. Two horses in particular wear one to be led round and they "appear" to lead like donkeys....Until you try them in a head collar!

Welcome to the forum Mat

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Handy bit of kit on strong or rude or horses. Just don't let the rope go because if the horse steps on the rope and yanks his head up you will have a vet bill.