Can take my mare anywhere but..

m1stify

Visit site
She is spooky at home! There was a little show in the yard last weekend with some new jumps, signs and fillers and it was a bit of a disaster she spooked and spun at everything new.
Yet I can take her to shows and she looks at nothing!
Any ideas if you have a horse like this?!

be positive

Visit site
It is fairly common, they know their home and any changes are spooky until they get used to it, away everything is new so no reason to bother spooking.
I had one who used to use any excuse at home to spook, the worst was a pile of white hair, his, on the muckheap near the school he could not go anywhere near that end, I gave in and buried it so he was safe again.

If they are bold and confident out you are doing a good job in general, the spooking at home probably just needs you to be realistic, look at it from her point of view and come to an arrangement where you meet each other half way, mares often need to feel they have a say in such matters, she will probably always have her own ideas, you need to work with them at times.

Some desensitising can help but make it fun for her rather than trying to be too serious, remember how good she is away from home.