Can they claim on my insurance?

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
A ''friend'' had to have her horse put to sleep recently and she was in the field with my mare (with shoes on all round), a broodmare (known to kick) and a quiet old mare (stays to herself) and i've just found out she's trying to blame my mare for kicking her horse which meant it have to be put to sleep, and she is on about claiming on my insurance? How far do you think she'd get when she has no proof, as no one saw?

rhino

Visit site
A ''friend'' had to have her horse put to sleep recently and she was in the field with my mare (with shoes on all round), a broodmare (known to kick) and a quiet old mare (stays to herself) and i've just found out she's trying to blame my mare for kicking her horse which meant it have to be put to sleep, and she is on about claiming on my insurance? How far do you think she'd get when she has no proof, as no one saw?

I don't think she'll get anywhere, and rightfully so. Does she have her own insurance for her horse? :confused:

dafthoss

Visit site
She can claim on her insurance if she has it but I'd guess from her reaction she hasnt got any and is going to try blackmail you in to giving her some money. That or she has no clue how insurance works :cool:.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site

Not a hope, even if it was witnessed, I believe unless your mare was a known kicker, she still wouldn't have a cat in hells chance.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
To be honest she hasn't got a hope in hell of making a succesful claim. No one saw what happened, no one can say which horse did what. I would imagine she hasn't got any insurance herself because if she had she would claim on that. She would probably be succesful in that claim as she would more than likely be covered for death & they would probably pay out.

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
Thanks guys. I'm not at the yard my mares at as i've moved back home but the vets are dealing with my mare (lameness issues) and don't want to move her half way through the investigation so i'm a bit concerned. The mare had a shattered elbow (so i've been told) And got told her thought last night and I got so angry, even if my mare did kick hers, she has no proof and hasn't taken in all the factors, as her mare has always been turned out with mine since it arrived at the yard about 4 months ago, then the known kicked got added to the field and it happens, just think she's trying to make out it's my horse as i'm not there.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for settling my worry. :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Speak to your insurance company to let them know that this is potentially coming their way.

I wondered about this but would worry that they might use it to bump up premium on renewal you read such mad things about insurance now adays.
Personally I think it will come to naught if OP is a BHS member I would use their legal helpline just to ask a few questions.

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
Chrisritch - that comment actually made me laugh out loud and i got a funny look off my dog!! haha

Thanks guys, i've had a nice relaxing hack this morning on my number one beasty, and it's calmed me down a bit. Its the fact we used to be friends and now she's doing this, just because she wants to blame someone. I might ring the BHS and see what they have to say. :)

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
The thing about insurance companies is that they are contracts of utmost good faith, so you should tell them all you can that might be relevant. There's bound to be something in the small print.

HashRouge

Visit site
She hasn't a chance! I have had someone try to claim on my insurance but nothing came of it because there was zero way of proving it wasn't a complete accident (which it was).

samerlin

Visit site
my friend had a horse in a field with one other horse and got his leg broken from a kick and yes she claimed off the other owners insurance. The vet confirmed that the leg was broken with a kick. The total came to about 6000. Yes the insurance company paid out. So it can be done.

foraday

Visit site
Yes it is possible!

My friend had same situation as you and successfully won their claim for damages from the livery yard for putting their horse in with a known kicker!

For third party claims such as these witnesses are not required! Just a veterinary report as to the damage and their informed decision on how such an injury occurred.

I would be contacting your horse insurance company sooner rather than later.

I had possible third party claim on my horse-he decided to jump over 8 foot hedge into someone's garden! Apart from galloping over 3 acres of rough paddock used for the village fete he did trash their garden around £1000 of damage according to the 'gardener'.

I contacted my insurance company NFU who were obviously braced for the impact but when I gave the person my insurance details they said they would drop it and they decided to do the work themselves!

Did not affect my premium but a clause was put on my horses third party bit.

Good luck and hope it comes to nothing

Luci07

Visit site
However....if her attack is that horse is known as a kicker, then could be argued she should have refused to turn out her horse with yours. Do be careful though as insurance normally asks if your horse is known to be " vicious". Anyway, she would need to come to you to ask for your insurance details...I think I might be inclined to let your mutual friends tell her you do not have cover....!

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
She knows my mare is insured and were going through insurance for her lameness, and she knows this. My mare has never kicked another horse in 3 years having her, yet the broodmare she's in with kicks everything and everyone, but knows the owner of that doesn't really insure?
Just been told by someone else that someone is spreading s**t to me, but yet to speak to the actual owner of the mare that had to be PTS. Preparing myself for the worst I suppose!!

Thanks for the advice/help

ihatework

Visit site
They can try and claim on your insurance. Doubt they would succeed though, given it was not definitely your horse that was the kicker.

My advise is to do nothing.

If the poor person that lost their horse approaches you and indicates they intend to make a claim then call your insurance, explain the situation, and ask how to proceed. The liklihood is that you would then need to give your insurance details to the 3rd party, and your insurance companies lawyers will handle it from there.

I'm 99% positive in the situation you describe it would even come to that point, let alone a settlement. Had it been just your horse and their horse in the field, then yes maybe.

skint1

Visit site
I wouldn't waste your time worrying about this. If they can irrefutably prove your horse caused the injury let them do that, otherwise I wouldn't even say sorry tbh.

eta- of course sympathise with her on the loss of her horse, but honestly this sounds like everyone has got together and decided because your mare is shod it must be her. Don't let them do that to you, or your horse.

Last edited: