Can they do this?

malibu211211

How the hell do I know??? I can barely remember my
Visit site
Went for a lovely hack this morning, which kind of goes round in a big loop, only we got a few fields from home to find that 2 horses have been put in the field that we need to go through
confused.gif

Normally it has cows in which is fine but the 2 horses came up to the fence so we did'nt attempt to go in as we're not sure what our horses would do?
Can you put horses on public bridlepaths without fencing them away from the path?
frown.gif

Weezy

Visit site
Not as far as I am aware -I mean lets face it, I wouldnt even attempt to do it! It means people have control of your gate for one thing - sounds like a recipe for disaster

In Spain we could ride anywhere pretty much and I ahve ridden through fields with strange horses in but it isnt advisable in the litigation age we have here We have horses in a field next to us that has a public footpath through it - the horses are fenced off the PF and rightly so too!

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Probably not the news you want to hear malibu but I'm pretty sure that you are allowed to put any livestock, including horses, on land that has footpaths or bridlepaths running across without fencing off the path. I think the only restriction is on bulls - for obvious reasons.

One of the bridlepaths near us goes through a huge field that often has horses in. I was pretty wary at first but fortunately my horse is used to riding in pretty active company (ex-endurance), so a few lose horses pratting about doesn't bother him. It is annoying though and there's no way I would turn horses out in that field.

filly190

Visit site
I understand that you can ride through the field, although it could be fraught with problems. There is a bridle path that I have used with a loose horse in the field, luckily a gentle old cob which behaves. It's not a nice experience and I am sure the owner worries more (or should do).

If this is the case, pehaps the owner of the horses should contruct a pen around the gate to allow safe passage and put up some additional fencing making a path which riders could use.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have done but my TB was a very sensible mare. I did complain however when they put a stallion in. Breeze was a huge tart and I would not have ridden her in a field with a stallion as she would not have behaved herself and I could have ended up with a stallion on top of me if I didn't bale out pronto.

I complained due to safety, had a child ridden in there with a tarty mare, there could have been a terrible accident assuming the child did not know what her mare was up to.

I have ridden through fields of sheep and cows no problem, but being a different species they don't seem so much of a problem coming over unless they are young bullocks.

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
i think you are allowed to
i have been through a field that usually has cows in, but it has horses in tone time, so i thught it would be better to get off and lead, as other ponied seemed pretty interesetd in my horse, and wasnt sure how any of them would react (as only has my horse for 2months)

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
yes, you're allowed to, though I think if your horse hurts another on a bridlepath it would be YOU responsible. We have a stud round here which puts alot of horses on the bridlepath, but they're pretty good. Another bridlepath someone puts their horse on and it's always trying to get out of the gate after you, which IMO is pretty irrisponsible of the owner.

Tia

Visit site
Yes they are allowed to graze any animals in a field with public rights of way running through them. There are some restrictions on some bulls but I think that's it.

They don't have to fence an area off for you to pass safely either. I personally wouldn't ride through a field with horses I didn't know in it either. It's a shame but there isn't really anything you can do, unless you approached the owners and asked them if they would mind you stringing up a temporary fence along the edge of the field? Maybe with polyposts and tape.

I'm just wondering whether they put the horses in there to discourage use of the bridlepath??

Nailed

Visit site
yep its legal. A horse i used to ride lived in a field with a foot path and styles.. so no gates.
Bulls can also go into footpath field as long as it is sign posted that there are bull sin there.
LOU x

kerrylou123

Visit site
i know a family that have just lost of horse of theirs that was grazed on a public bridle way! Somebody had left the gate open, so needless to say the horses got out, and one of them was ran over by a lorry
frown.gif
Apparently, they couldn't tell which end was which, so must have been bad!

sojeph

Visit site
Yes they can. I used to have to drive thro a feild full of horses to get to my yard and then ride back thro to get to the common. Theres an old police horse in their that would crowd anyone who came thro and would hang around the gates in case a walker were to leave it open. The donkey knocked over several small children over time!
crazy.gif
grin.gif

Not something I'd vere do with my nags tho!!