Can we talk body protector for hacking and schooling?

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
I‘m in my 50’s. I don’t bounce like I used to. Only really worn a body protector when the rules said I had to in the past, but, I have a newish Connie who has dumped me, and that was enough to get me into an airowear body protector, but it is so uncomfortable! I feel like I’m wearing a straight jacket.

yes, it’s fitted correctly.

so, I tried an air jacket, much less restrictive, but I am worried that if it goes off, all I’m going to see is a pair of heels and frankly I’d rather my boy didn’t disappear into the horizon..

realistically I’m hacking. He’s not spooky, I have a good seat and balance. Any advice on less restrictive, more comfortable body protection that I can wear under a jacket?

Roxylola

Visit site
I've had an airowear, a Charles Owen, and a racesafe. The first two i always knew i was wearing them, they felt in the way, restrictive and I hated having to put them on. I was forever messing with the velcro and they were never comfortable.
My racesafe is a zip fastening with elastic sides i can tighten or let out. Its lightweight I'm not red hot in it and I honestly forget I'm wearing it. I 100% recommend them to anyone looking at body protectors. Also, go try on, get measured I'd fit about 3 different sizes on paper but one just felt right

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I wear my air jacket every time I ride and sadly have fallen with it. Once it goes off you're already in trouble so the bang isn't really a big deal.
A normal body protector alone doesn't do very much, for best protection you'd wear both but I just wear my air jacket.

Carrottom

Visit site
I did get used to my race safe although I got hot in it in warm weather. I lost a stone or so in weight and found it became a bit bulky, the sides were as tight as they would go. It will probably fit again after lockdown ?

Bernster

Visit site
Race safe - i don’t find it as comfy as those above (but maybe I’m more round or it’s tighter!) but it’s the most comfortable of those I’ve had. I did buy the point 2 but never wore it much. That is pretty comfortable though.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I had a Harry Hall older style "shell" as I used to call it & I always felt resticted & knew it was there - the type with solid 1 piece panels.
I've just bought a Champion TI11 BP & its amazing - light weight & extremely flexible - so much so I dont know its there. Its very similar to the race safe if anything with smaller squares.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
The new Airowear ones are really, really flexible.

Mine is an older one snd I quite liked the slight restriction as it was the world's best sports bra :)

I hardly ride at all now but recently bought a new airoeear for a daughter and she says it is amazing. I can't find the one I got her but how about this
https://www.airowear.co.uk/products/wave/

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
I just use an air jacket. As above, once you're off, your off. The bang isn't really an issue at all.

I have a racesafe too, but tend to just stick to the airjacket.
What worries me is as a child I was repeatedly told, “don’t let go” so I dont! ?

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
I've had an airowear, a Charles Owen, and a racesafe. The first two i always knew i was wearing them, they felt in the way, restrictive and I hated having to put them on. I was forever messing with the velcro and they were never comfortable.
My racesafe is a zip fastening with elastic sides i can tighten or let out. Its lightweight I'm not red hot in it and I honestly forget I'm wearing it. I 100% recommend them to anyone looking at body protectors. Also, go try on, get measured I'd fit about 3 different sizes on paper but one just felt right
So, which model? ProVent or RS?

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
The new Airowear ones are really, really flexible.

Mine is an older one snd I quite liked the slight restriction as it was the world's best sports bra :)

I hardly ride at all now but recently bought a new airoeear for a daughter and she says it is amazing. I can't find the one I got her but how about this
https://www.airowear.co.uk/products/wave/
?
I have a racesafe one and realised it was the right choice after my first ride in it - I arrived back from a hack and someone asked me how it was and I'd forgotten i was wearing it!
provent, or RS?

Chappie

Visit site
I wear my Airowear every time I ride (mostly hack); when its cold & I first put it on, oh I get in just a grump about it! as its so uncomfy & bulky! Once its warmed up its better, though I never can forget it's there. But its like a hat to me, I'd feel odd riding without it. Its quite old now and I'm really keen to get a Racesafe, hopefully this summer when restrictions get lifted so I can get measured & try them on.

Like the look of the Champion panelled one, and the new Airowear up thread, but I dont think they are stocked anywhere I can get to (I'm quite remotely based!) a pity; as it would be good to try them on for comparision.

Griffin

Visit site
I had an Airowear fitted several years ago and it has been really comfortable (I am quite short and round though). Mine was fitted by an person from Airowear when the tack shop were doing a promotion, so I am not sure if that made any difference to the fit (i.e. they were more knowledgeable about the fit).

Wishfilly

Visit site
A few years back when I was competing and jumping I had a Rodney Powell one- I think this one: https://www.redpostequestrian.co.uk...ex-contour-adults-body-protector--grey__46597

It was comfortable and lightweight, and came in a bit cheaper than the racesafe. I can't say I ever 100% forgot I had it on, but I didn't find it restrictive at all.

I tried various different brands and this was the one I found most comfortable. At the time I had quite a small waist but hips and a bust, so other styles which were a bit more straight cut didn't seem to fit right. I'd strongly recommend trying different brands/styles- I know this may not be possible at the moment, though!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I have a racesafe and am another that wears it every time I ride, and I'm also someone that mainly hacks

I think mine is the provent? It's black.

I used to have an aerowear and the difference is noticeable, I felt a bit stuffed today but had loads of layers on but overall the race safe is so much better

Make sure you get it fitted somewhere as they have a lot of sizes/ fits

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
I use my Racesafe every time I get on, hacking to competing.
A few years back when I was competing and jumping I had a Rodney Powell one- I think this one: https://www.redpostequestrian.co.uk...ex-contour-adults-body-protector--grey__46597

It was comfortable and lightweight, and came in a bit cheaper than the racesafe. I can't say I ever 100% forgot I had it on, but I didn't find it restrictive at all.

I tried various different brands and this was the one I found most comfortable. At the time I had quite a small waist but hips and a bust, so other styles which were a bit more straight cut didn't seem to fit right. I'd strongly recommend trying different brands/styles- I know this may not be possible at the moment, though!
loved my Roddy Powell when I was competing ?

oldie48

Visit site
I went out to buy a racesafe but discovered that I am really short waisted and would need to have one custom made, none of the others fitted either so I bought a Helite air jacket which I really like. It's absolutely imperative that you try before you buy, I did my measurements for the Racesafe and actually needed one a lot smaller than suggested on their website.

Becc

Visit site
I wear a hit air jacket and when it’s gone off it really isn’t that loud. The horses response has varied from standing looking at me as if to say ‘what are you down there’, to wandering off for a nibble of grass. So they definitely weren’t scared by the pop. And I’ve found it’s far less painful falling off with the air jacket than a body protector.

Carlosmum

Visit site
I have a race safe, but it didn't stop rib injuries when i was bucked off. So i invested in a Hit-Air Jacket, Then discovered it was on a horse length lanyard on a 14.2 pony. Where the air jacket all the time unless I am in the arena. Race safe & air jacket when competing.