• REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as HHO, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Can you AI in a trailer..?

TigerTail

Totally random thought - is it possible to AI in a ifor trailer as opposed to stocks? In my head it’s a fairly similar set up although in a wheel base not in a shed🤷‍♀️ Just wondering if that is a less stressful option than going to a stud and trying to get a matt in stocks who isn’t used to being manhandled like that

TheMule

Totally random thought - is it possible to AI in a ifor trailer as opposed to stocks? In my head it’s a fairly similar set up although in a wheel base not in a shed🤷‍♀️ Just wondering if that is a less stressful option than going to a stud and trying to get a matt in stocks who isn’t used to being manhandled like that
Up to the vet really, it might be tricky as the ramp will give a height disadvantage and I'm not sure the bar is likely to protect them much if the mare does kick. It's often done over a stable door.
FWIW, they usually take to stocks no problem, no man-handling required!

TigerTail

Up to the vet really, it might be tricky as the ramp will give a height disadvantage and I'm not sure the bar is likely to protect them much if the mare does kick. It's often done over a stable door.
FWIW, they usually take to stocks no problem, no man-handling required!

Thankyou - I had wondered about the ramp/ height issue and also appreciate it would be more unstable ferreting around up there if the horse moves 🤣

That’s interesting, I b hope you’re right as mine is going to stuf next week and I’m not sure how well she will take the process 🤦‍♀️

SusieT

If your mare is going to be difficult to manage in stocks etc - is it even a starter to breed her? Stocks have additional protection for the vet, i.e they won't get kicked. IF you are looking to breed you need to know your mare is happy to be in stocks and not too difficult - so if she can't be ai'd - the follow up scans are not likely to be any easier.

TigerTail

Thanks all. She will be happier in her home environment than somewhere strange and therefore less likely to get upset and therefore to reabsorb IF she should catch.

Can easily sort the bales idea, or have some excellent rubber matting I was going to make a door out of. The trailer is a stock in a way just one she’s used to and at home so calmer. Will see what the vet says