can you assure me that i should be now turning out at night!

woodlandswow

Visit site
i have even broken my lent to do this.. and i know it has been done hundreds of times!

i really just want some assurance that im doing right thing.. please be nice.. simple answers..

i am in a bit of a quandry as its so warm in the day (i know it is due to get colder) however dad says its frosty at night.
also we dont have much grass but 1 horse on 1 ½ acres.

i also have my A2's coming up so working most of the day .. it is just alot easier having him in in the day.. catching wise too!

might seem a bit thick, but i get so many opposing opinions from outside i never know where to turn.. ;)

jenki13

Visit site
Am I right in thinking you'll have him in during the day & out at night?
He'd be perfectly fine turned out at night, put a rug on him if you think he'll be chilly i.e if its -degrees.

For what it's worth my 3/4 TBx with a trace clip has been out naked day & night since last Saturday! She's survived so far :p ;)

LeannePip

Visit site
fully clipped wimpy pony out all night in a 350grm (it is still freezing overnight as having to break ice on water buckets :O) then naked during the day! Very easy - go for it!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It would not concern me turning out at night now unless it turned really cold and rainy. I would be concerned that he has no company though. :(

woodlandswow

Visit site
:D thanks everyone!! assured :D

wagtail - he is next door to 4 ponys - nose touching distance :) and his little companion will be back when we have a bit more grass

kp31

Visit site
My Warmblood is out at night and in during the day and is perfectly happy. Has 2 rugs on at night and his friends within touching distance next door. I did worry, but in the evening he marches to the field so i think he is telling me he is fine!

sandi_84

Visit site
Lowest we're getting up here at night is 7 degrees so wimpy, unclipped cob (who admittedly has a bit more blubber to keep him warm) has been naked for a while now - yeay! :D

KAZJAZ

Visit site
mine is still in :0(

He should hopefully be out this weekend though, we dont have a lot of grass so i want to wait a bit longer and he isnt ready to be out, he stands waiting at gate to come in for feed and is still eating a massive haynet overnight.

Spyda

Visit site
My hunter clipped (but practically in her summer coat now) WBxTB wimp is out at night ATM in just her Rambo Sweetitch Hoody and is brought in between 9.15am and 4.15pm to eat soaked hay and keep cool out of the sun (no shade in her paddock). Yours will be fine! And put on a lightweight TO rug if you're genuinely worried he'll get chilly over night. We're in Devon so it's quite warm compared to some other parts of the country, but just rug if you're suffering sleepless nights worrying about him.

I give you permission to turnout over night!!! :D :D

Littlelegs

Visit site
Mine assured me last night she was staying out from last night. Usually very easy to catch but every spring she gets to a point where she decides no more stabling! Once I filled hayrack she was quite happy to be caught cos she realised she was staying out. Happens every spring. She's always hated cold & had her last full clip mid Feb but was still too warm in a lw at 6.30, been naked days for weeks. Chase clipped pony was rugless & too warm with remaining coat.

brown tack

Visit site
Both mine are out 24/7 naked. Ones a young cobx the other a 27 yr tb x who was full clipped but her coat has shot though, I started out with rugs on night but by 7 next morning the old one was a hot so down graded rugs till she was ok and now they are off all together. That said as so as it gets cold/wet it will be rugs back on or if really back in at night, which for the past 6years I havnt needed to do.

TGM

Visit site
Our three have been out at nights since the week after Christmas. They were well-rugged in the cold weather and always have plenty of haylage available and have been just fine. We have one warmblood, one ISH and a pony and they are all regularly competing and hunting and seem happy on this regime.

As long as yours has some hay or haylage to compensate for the lack of grazing, then I think he will be quite happy. As said above, you can always adjust rugs accordingly if it gets cold again.

Last edited:

Ladylina83

Visit site
Everything on our yard is out at night atm young old little and large only 2 have rugs on and they are just lw rain sheets

Django Pony

Visit site
Most of ours at the yard are out 24/7 atm. Naked in the day and with light or medium-weight rugs on at night as it drops cold once it's dark. They're fine, and much prefer being outside!

Spit That Out

Visit site
Nope, mine are in at night as we have no grass and still getting frosts...even been scraping my car windows in the morning!
Also the weather is turning bad again from Friday so i don't see the point of turning out at night for a couple of nights just to bring them in again and throw my routine out the window just to save a bit of mucking out time so I'm waiting for the better weather to be more stable.

ecrozier

Visit site
We've swapped over - mine are now out at night and in during day, generally aim to have them in from about 9-4 or thereabouts? Both have been naked last few nights, unclipped big lad moulting like MAD!

Rose Folly

Visit site
Just turn him out!! The daytimes are as warm as June, and certainly in our part of the world there's no wind at all, so even though the thermometer does dip down at night there's no wind chill. Ours live out 24/7 anyway. Our toast rack ex-chaser has no rug on during the day, and just a rain rug at night. He's doing brilliantly and putting on weight.