Can you call yourself an International Event Rider if you've never competed abroad?

SpruceRI

Visit site
Can you call yourself an International Event Rider if you've never competed abroad?

Or is it the fact that you've competed in a CIC or a CCI.... which are 'International' even though they're in this country and are no more International than any other class which still allows entries from riders with other nationalities.

Explain please??

ThePony

Visit site
I'm sure you could get away with it if you had competed at an 'international' event, though I must admit that I would feel that it was rather scrabbling for qudos and would expect an 'international' rider to have competed overseas.

popsdosh

Visit site

Or is it the fact that you've competed in a CIC or a CCI.... which are 'International' even though they're in this country and are no more International than any other class which still allows entries from riders with other nationalities.

Explain please??
People do im afraid usually they have large egos and are insecure!!!
To me I would only classify riders who have made teams as international as lets face it its not very difficult to get on a ferry and end up in France for the average rider.

SpottedCat

Visit site
On the flip side, 'normal' classes abroad allow other nationalities to enter, so are you an 'international' rider if you've done one of those, even though it isn't FEI?

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I'm sure you could get away with it if you had competed at an 'international' event, though I must admit that I would feel that it was rather scrabbling for qudos and would expect an 'international' rider to have competed overseas.

Agree with the above. As a CIC and CCI are international events then if you compete in these classes you could call yourself an international.

SpottedCat

Visit site
To me I would only classify riders who have made teams as international as lets face it its not very difficult to get on a ferry and end up in France for the average rider.

So Jo May, who was placed in the top ten at 4*, abroad, isn't an international eventer?! That's just bizarre logic.

only_me

Visit site
I think people calling themselves "international eventers" (unless on a CV!) who have only ridden to 1* is pushing it a bit ;)

popsdosh

Visit site
So Jo May, who was placed in the top ten at 4*, abroad, isn't an international eventer?! That's just bizarre logic.
A bit tongue in cheek granted .

The point of this topic really is were do you draw the line.
For what its worth I would probably have to concede anybody competing abroad at 3* or higher.At least if it is abroad BE have had some input into maintaining standards.

billyslad

Visit site
If you ride in an "international " (FEI ) event you are by definition an International event rider during that event , whether you continue to be " an international event rider " would rather depend on your continued riding at " international events .

Personally I think the proof is in the pudding, lots of people describe their horse as a " novice " even though it may have only done one event badly at that level same goes for calling themselves an international rider , quick look on bdwp will soon see whether they have " ridden " at that level or are a "rider " at that level

More important things to worry about than this lol

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
But so many (in my limited knowledge!) international event are held in the UK. There may be people don't travel, but yet still compete up to 3*/4* - of course they can say they are an international rider. I would also say that anyone who has competed at 1*/2* has competed internationally too. Its an international class, so why take away anything from it? For amateurs (and pros) competing at that level is an acheivement, and the definition of the event!

Same for showjumpers if its an international class I think.

But then, I would call anyone who earns their wage from riding a professional horse rider, as that is what their profession is - no matter how cr*p they are. If people are stupid enough to only look at the words 'competed internationally' without looking for further quals/ references then more fool them I think ;)

SpruceRI

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I only wondered because I saw a rather expensive over sized pony for sale that didn't have a very spectacular record, and the advert stated 'produced by an Intl Event rider'.... and I just thought: 'hum... really?'

Gamebird

Visit site
I could call myself an international event rider... I'm FEI registered and have an International ranking....

...however I think that even calling myself 'an event rider' is pushing it most of the time! :eek:

ladyt25

Visit site
I don't think you should be able to no but then i know someone who advertises himself as an 'international showjumper'. I think he may have competed in Ireland once! He is a prat though!!! Lol

SpruceRI

Visit site
I could call myself an international event rider... I'm FEI registered and have an International ranking....

...however I think that even calling myself 'an event rider' is pushing it most of the time! :eek:

Oh go on! Change your name to 'Gamebird Intl' !!! ;-)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I lived in Italy and did affiliated over there many years ago. I was pretty average there as I am in the uk now! But does that make me an international event rider!

I guess ,if you wanted to, you could argue that you were an international rider on most of those reasons. For me, and international event rider would be a pro who regularly competes abroad..

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com

By your definition I'm an international rider as have been on junior and senior Jersey (bsja and bd) teams. I can promise you I'm not though anywhere near an international rider other than in my dreams lol :p

Hels_Bells

Visit site
I was wondering this same question the other day!! We met some clients and after the meeting OH had a look at their CVs which are on their company website. The girl had down that shhe had done xyz and was an international event rider! I was rather awestruck - international event rider AND sales director of a large firm in a male dominated industry and barely past 30!!! My kind of girl!! So I decided to take a peek at her BE record... She'd competed at Blair* - I was rather disappointed to say the least. And to boot it would seem that Daddy owns the company which would probably explain the hugely elevated job title for her age!! No scrumming her way up from the bottom then!!?:D ;)

BBH

Visit site
If someone describes themselves as an ' international' XYZ I would expect someone at the top level of their sport consistently competing at top shows abroad and making teams.

Anything else would be short changing IMO.

kerilli

Visit site
If someone describes themselves as an ' international' XYZ I would expect someone at the top level of their sport consistently competing at top shows abroad and making teams.

This. Yes, technically anyone who has done a 1* is an "International rider" because it's an FEI comp, but since it's really just a glorified Novice, i think they're really only kidding themselves (and anyone not clued up enough to check up on BE i guess!)
Those who are true "International Event Riders" don't need to say so... ;) ;)

SpottedCat

Visit site

See this makes absolutely no sense to me, as the British team is so hot to get into. You're saying the following people are not international event riders (not been on senior teams, all have ridden successfully at 4*):
Lucy Wiegersma
Jo May
Lucinda Fredericks
Nick Gauntlett

This is just off the top of my head, there are loads more I bet!

BBH

Visit site
See this makes absolutely no sense to me, as the British team is so hot to get into. You're saying the following people are not international event riders (not been on senior teams, all have ridden successfully at 4*):
Lucy Wiegersma
Jo May
Lucinda Fredericks
Nick Gauntlett

This is just off the top of my head, there are loads more I bet!

I'm not into eventing and although I've heard of those names I don't know anything about them but I do know William F-P, Mary King, Pippa Funnell and these are people I would class as top international eventers. The others I would assume are regulars on the national circuit.

VGM

Visit site
kerilli if you type international event rider into google there are only three on the first page i wouldnt call international event riders or i havent heard of although one was a double junior gold medallist
nick has already been mentioned and pigs website says international event rider on the banner so saying those that are true international riders dont need to say isnt really true
technically anyone doing fei is competing internationally just because england play at wembley doesnt make it any less of an international fixture it just is a home game i would also say someone who has three or four horses across the fei levels who only competes at home and does multiple fei events is more international than someone who went across the pond to france or germany once by some peoples terms on here phoebe isnt an international event rider yet frostie did six four stars she had jack at three star and gordon at two star yet she only went abroad the first time to lumuhlen recently

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
the rest are more than just regulars on the national circuit!! if they had different nationality they would be on the teams year in year out but because GB/AUS teams are so hard to get on they dont, although are knocking on the door of their home teams!

If someone is competing at the top level which to me eventing would be CCI*** or CCI*** then they are an international rider. They may never leave the UK but they are competing against the best of the best and have qualified to be there!