Can you dressage on a shoe string?

Muddywellies

Visit site
I know everyone's definition of shoe string is different, but can you dressage on a very tight budget?
I've reached a point now after competing at BD for about 3 years and progressing two levels, that I can't take it much further without a lottery win or something. I've always found BD very friendly and I have felt comfortable, but at this week's' comp I felt totally out of my league. I was on the only non-conventional dressage horse, wearing second hand gear in our ancient battered lorry and what really made me feel a failure is my two tests were frankly quite embarrassing. Ladies there were wearing the most beautiful attire which if you add it up, would cost more than my car ! I need more lessons and ring practice but can't afford it, and it's affecting my scores now which have taken a nose dive. I feel unable to progress further as my facilities at my DIY yard really aren't up to much (there are no other yards around), I can't afford much more than once or twice a month arena hire, can only afford a lesson once every couple of months, and try to compete once a month. I was surrounded at this weeks comp by pro or semi pro riders who are in a totally different league to me. As soon as I had finished my test I had to shoot off as I had to get back to work. As you can tell, I'm feeling pretty sensitive right now but can't help wondering if i have taken my dressage as far as I can with what I've got ??

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I don't think you need to go out every week competing to do well, you don't need fancy perfect arenas to practice in, you don't need expensive new gear to wear either you can look very smart and presentable in second hand or older clothes, and you certainly don't need a big flash warmblood, as long as you enjoy it and your happy that's the main thing I wouldn't worry about anyone else.

be positive

Visit site
I think you can manage in a shoestring but if the scores are not improving then the money probably needs to go into more training and less competing until you are better established, what you wear will make no difference to the judges nor will your old lorry or non conventional horse, if it goes well it will be rewarded with decent scores so I would say give competing a miss for a few months and wait until you are ready to gain the better marks.

Hold your head up high, turn yourself and horse out as well as you can and don't be too hard on yourself it is supposed to be fun so maybe a break will give you a boost.

ihatework

Visit site
The gear, lorry etc really don’t matter. The only thing a judge wants to see is a horse going well ... when that happens everything else melts into the background.

Presenting a horse going beautifully is down to the training & riding.

Naturally, some people will be able to do that by themselves due to talent, others will need extra training support. If you are one of the latter then yes it does get very expensive as you go up the levels.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I don't think you need to go out every week competing to do well, you don't need fancy perfect arenas to practice in, you don't need expensive new gear to wear either you can look very smart and presentable in second hand or older clothes, and you certainly don't need a big flash warmblood, as long as you enjoy it and your happy that's the main thing I wouldn't worry about anyone else.

I could indeed enjoy it and be happy remaining at my current level but I am (or was) pretty focussed and had ambitions of seeing just how far we could go. A couple of years ago I was told we could reach top hat and tails (or just tails nowadays) but my dressage 'career' now needs more investment than I'm able to give. For me it's more than just enjoyment, it's the challenge too. But just now I feel the challenge has beaten me.

Muddywellies

Visit site
The gear, lorry etc really don’t matter. The only thing a judge wants to see is a horse going well ... when that happens everything else melts into the background.

Presenting a horse going beautifully is down to the training & riding.

Naturally, some people will be able to do that by themselves due to talent, others will need extra training support. If you are one of the latter then yes it does get very expensive as you go up the levels.

I'm absolutely not a natural. Square peg round hole springs to mind. You've confirmed what I thought - we could indeed progress but not without weekly/fortnightly lessons, a decent arena, and more ring time .

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I could indeed enjoy it and be happy remaining at my current level but I am (or was) pretty focussed and had ambitions of seeing just how far we could go. A couple of years ago I was told we could reach top hat and tails (or just tails nowadays) but my dressage 'career' now needs more investment than I'm able to give. For me it's more than just enjoyment, it's the challenge too. But just now I feel the challenge has beaten me.

I think even one lesson a month can help as you have the whole month to focus on what you did, I used to have a lesson a week and found it too much as I didn't have time to really practice it properly, I then ended up with too much to do so I find 1 or 2 a month is quite enough.

Do you have any lessons at all?

Muddywellies

Visit site
I think you can manage in a shoestring but if the scores are not improving then the money probably needs to go into more training and less competing until you are better established, what you wear will make no difference to the judges nor will your old lorry or non conventional horse, if it goes well it will be rewarded with decent scores so I would say give competing a miss for a few months and wait until you are ready to gain the better marks.

Hold your head up high, turn yourself and horse out as well as you can and don't be too hard on yourself it is supposed to be fun so maybe a break will give you a boost.

I know you're absolutely right. My concern is that I'm chasing qualifying sheets as I've set myself a goal for this year which I feel obliged to achieve not only for myself but im a product ambassador and feel they expect results.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I think even one lesson a month can help as you have the whole month to focus on what you did, I used to have a lesson a week and found it too much as I didn't have time to really practice it properly, I then ended up with too much to do so I find 1 or 2 a month is quite enough.

Do you have any lessons at all?
Yes from an amazing GP rider once every couple of months. Just feel I need more . . . .

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Yes from an amazing GP rider once every couple of months. Just feel I need more . . . .

I think as you get more advanced you probably do need more, I only ride at novice level so 1 or 2 a month is enough for me, could you make some cut backs in other areas to free up some money? Or do some extra work for a while?

be positive

Visit site
I know you're absolutely right. My concern is that I'm chasing qualifying sheets as I've set myself a goal for this year which I feel obliged to achieve not only for myself but im a product ambassador and feel they expect results.

Will the product pay for some extra training, chasing scores to qualify would be easier if you could get them with fewer outings and promote the product from a slightly different angle assuming you use FB you could do a training based report instead of a competition one.

ihatework

Visit site

Chasing qualifying sheets is where you are going wrong. Stop competing and channel your funds into training for the next 6 months and then see where you are. Honestly.

Leo Walker

Visit site
what are you getting from being a product ambassador? I dont see anyone getting anything much that helps them progress. So if thats an issue, stop doing it. Stop chasing sheets. Its pointless if you arent good enough yet. Spend that money on lessons. You dont need a fancy school, or even a school, but you do need a trainers input more often.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I think as you get more advanced you probably do need more, I only ride at novice level so 1 or 2 a month is enough for me, could you make some cut backs in other areas to free up some money? Or do some extra work for a while?
Already discussed at length with husband and if there were areas to cut back we would. And we both work f/t so extra jobs would be impossible. Tho I believe there is good money in selling the odd body part ;-)

Muddywellies

Visit site
Will the product pay for some extra training, chasing scores to qualify would be easier if you could get them with fewer outings and promote the product from a slightly different angle assuming you use FB you could do a training based report instead of a competition one.
Ok now that's an idea!! I hadn't even considered that. I would be gutted to not achieve this years'goal but I could definitely do a training based report or two. Good thinking batman !

Muddywellies

Visit site
what are you getting from being a product ambassador? I dont see anyone getting anything much that helps them progress. So if thats an issue, stop doing it. Stop chasing sheets. Its pointless if you arent good enough yet. Spend that money on lessons. You dont need a fancy school, or even a school, but you do need a trainers input more often.
Cheers for that - I'm starting to see the light now. More lessons needed :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It really rather depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to actually win competitions, then yes, you probably do need megabucks and a fancy pants horse to do that at the higher levels. Forget tatty lorries and 2nd hand clothes, etc., that's irrelevant, what counts is the quality of the work.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
You definitely can scratch along on a puny budget. I do, my lorry is 25 years old, my horse is a Welsh cob, all my kit except my hat was bought second hand and I have always been at fairly basic DIY livery.

The thing I bust a gut for, scrimp and save in all aspects of my life for, is training. Without that I found it very hard and slow to progress. I have fortnightly lessons which have catapulted us up the levels. In addition I watch all the training I can,other peoples lessons, YouTube, demos etc. And then experiment with ideas at home.

You certainly don't need the flash stuff but regular input is an absolute necessity imo. I have lesson vouchers for xmas/birthday... can you swing anything like that?

madamebonnie

Visit site
Things you can do for free to help you improve:
Watch videos online it can be training or even test videos.
Read as many articles about training as you can. Chronicles of the horse and Dressage today have loads free online. I try read one on the way home from work and pick some bits to work on whilst schooling.
Watch other lessons. Explain to your GP trainer that you are a bit short but could you watch a few of their lessons? Im lucky that my trainer teaches a few on the yard. I cannot afford more than one a month but learn loads by watching.
Writing for judges can help you pick up competition tips
Even stewarding so you can watch how people warm up.
Follow other dressage people on social media. They often give tips and you can send in a question.
Ask friends for help on the ground. If you don't have mirrors you need the feedback to improve. Pick something specific for them to feed back like hand position or tracking up. If you cant find anyone to give you feed back stick your phone on the fence and video yourself.
Think about what you can change not what you cant. Could you structure you schooling differently? Does your horse need to be fitter?

It sounds like your doing a great job but just need a bit of a boost in motivation :) also well bl**dy done for going out in this awful weather!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Great suggestions there mb
I love writing at shows , so informative and you sometimes get a discount on future entries ;)

Reactions: TPO

Muddywellies

Visit site
Thank you all for some excellent ideas. Some would be tricky for me with existing time constraints but there are plenty of good ideas there which I can definitely investigate. Much appreciated :)

VRIN

Visit site
If you were told a couple of years ago that you could reach 'top hat and tails' level as a combination then clearly you don't need to worry about the horse having the ability. The judge doesn't see the horsebox so that can't influence results. Clothes are only new on the first day you wear them and as long as you and your horse are smartly turned out that shouldn't be a factor either.
Sometimes we focus on the things we can't influence rather than the things we can - maybe ask someone to video the test and then watch it alongside the dressage sheet. Maybe find one thing that you could improve on and work on that before the next outing...

Auslander

Visit site
If you're genuinely sure that your tests were abysmal, could it be that you need to step back from competing/qualifying sheet chasing, and make some new goals related to improving the horses basic way of going. You don't need fancy clothes/transport etc to get your horse secure at the level you are comfortable at - and the more work you do on getting the basics rock solid, the easier the higher level stuff will be when you get back to it.

I don't school much, but when I do, I ask myself the following questions
Is my horse straight?
Does he respond instantly when I ask for XXX (Is he off the leg/listening)?
Is he supple in his body, without being wriggly/resistant?
Does this feel easy?

If the answer is Yes to all, I'm happy with what I'm achieving

J&S

Visit site
What about a sideways move........ to your local Riding club. They run both winter and summer dressage leagues with smart Championships at all levels, plus teams, rural riders etc. Plenty of scope there for progress and extra training plus the fun of making friends with your team mates, having joint lessons etc. You might not feel so "alone" in attaining your goals.

Muddywellies

Visit site
With the general consensus being that I need to focus more on training, I have duly booked a lesson for this week. I then need to make more of an effort to book in more lessons in the coming weeks and keep on top of it and have some sort of structure to my training, rather that the sporadic training that I have always had. Let's hope this lifts me out of the great big hole I've got myself in.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
If you have a friend that can either
A, (if they have experience) help you, it can be really beneficial. I know when I feel like I’m not getting anywhere I’ll get my friend to come over and bark at me while I ride. She also will hop on my horse and show me if I’m still not getting it.
Or B, video you riding so you can watch it over and see what you can improve on. When my OH videod me riding the first thing I noticed when watching was my position. It makes me go ah! I need to do this next time.
But I would maybe compete less and use that money saved for more lessons. As somebody mentioned above as you are an ambassador you can maybe help promote the training side of things too and not just the competing. Also helps show people (I guess you have a social media base with followers) that winning doesn’t just come to you and that you have to work at it :) good luck

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Also maybe see if your trainer will do a discounted block booking? Pay in advance for say 5 lessons at a lower rate. (Only if you are in a financial position to do that)

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I know everyone's definition of shoe string is different, but can you dressage on a very tight budget?
I've reached a point now after competing at BD for about 3 years and progressing two levels, that I can't take it much further without a lottery win or something. I've always found BD very friendly and I have felt comfortable, but at this week's' comp I felt totally out of my league. I was on the only non-conventional dressage horse, wearing second hand gear in our ancient battered lorry and what really made me feel a failure is my two tests were frankly quite embarrassing. Ladies there were wearing the most beautiful attire which if you add it up, would cost more than my car ! I need more lessons and ring practice but can't afford it, and it's affecting my scores now which have taken a nose dive. I feel unable to progress further as my facilities at my DIY yard really aren't up to much (there are no other yards around), I can't afford much more than once or twice a month arena hire, can only afford a lesson once every couple of months, and try to compete once a month. I was surrounded at this weeks comp by pro or semi pro riders who are in a totally different league to me. As soon as I had finished my test I had to shoot off as I had to get back to work. As you can tell, I'm feeling pretty sensitive right now but can't help wondering if i have taken my dressage as far as I can with what I've got ??
I got to unaffiliated elementary dressage with a GP saddle and never having a days lesson since I had my horse. I even did our first and only novice test on a BD ticket and came just under half way out of the total field of 22 horses competing that day which was good for a first try.

I would often practice the dressage test in my head only as I never managed to be able to use half the school to practice my test unless I went up at silly o'clock on a weekends morning. I never had a shiny lorry or even particularly shiny tack. My clothes looked like they would fit Worzel Gummidge (in fact I quite often looked like him by the time I'd arrived at a venue) but we quite often won or got placed in our classes. I've seen filthy low value home bred horses turn up for competitions in filthy tack and beat those horses that are ten times their value. It means nothing. Having a nicely marked nice moving horse makes a difference. BUt so does the mindset of trying your hardest and not giving a damn what people think about you.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Yes, I've been both skint and lacking facilities when we moved here in the late 80s and took on a mahoosive mortgage. I was going to miss a year of training and competition.

I reevaluated and decided I could have a few lessons and a very few competitions. I put out a grass arena with home made markers, and schooled on that.

Our posh transport and my 15.1hh unregistered Section D:-

image.jpeg

Didn't stop us getting placed in both Elementaries at a very prestigious BD fixture, where we were mixing it with the properly posh lot :).

image.jpeg

I would always choose to prioritise training over competition, if I could only afford one or the other.

Good luck!