Can you full loan a horse out to...

Frazer

Visit site
I am thinking about buying an ex racer, and then eventually end up with a showjumper (to an extent)! But ive been wondering and I dont think I will have enough time in the reschooling process! So i was thinking if it would be possible to full loan the horse out to someone who could school, bring on the horse for me.. Ive been looking into schooling/breaking livery at my yard, and will keep it there for a few months to teach it the basics, and then hopefully loaning it out! Or am I being totally unrealistic and will have to end up paying a fortune for livery!
Any south east people on here, know of anyone that could be intersted. Wouldn't be for a while (after xmas but worth a try)
Thanks

_jetset_

Visit site
I agree with Happy Horse, I think you would need to send it away for schooling and pay for that. I have taken on loan a recently backed 17hh mare on to bring on, but she is for sale at the end of the loan and whatever money I add to her value is split between myself and her owner.

Frazer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Happy Horse, I think you would need to send it away for schooling and pay for that. I have taken on loan a recently backed 17hh mare on to bring on, but she is for sale at the end of the loan and whatever money I add to her value is split between myself and her owner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill probably be looking into schooling livery then! I think I was just hoping that someone would be able to help me etc... upkeep I could pay for (livery bill etc..) but schooling livery down here im looking at £200 a week!

Frazer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you haven't enough time, don't get a re-schooling project! It's that simple really!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have enough time to go down and ride 4/5 times a week! However with my other horse, this is going to be hard. The reason for getting a schooling/project horse is due to other circumstances! I didnt mean it as in I wont be able to go and ride, it would be easier and probably more benenfical for someone to take the horse on just trough winter.

Skhosu

Visit site
But surely if your getting something that needs schooling, you will need to be prepared to do that work. You would seriously struggle IMO to get someone to take a horse out for free and school it for you, then have to give it back!
Why do you want a project if you haven't time to do two?

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
I think you have just put the nail in the coffin as it were You want someone to take a project horse on, bring it on for you, keep it through the winter and then return it to you when the weather improves - It's never going to happen, sorry!

Frazer

Visit site
I am willing and have done so in the past the schooling nessessary, I was looking into the situation and around febuary I will not have the time I would like to put into the horse (eg. 6/7 days a week into the horse) although I could ride about 4/5 days a week! I wouldn't expect them to pay all the upkeep etc.. I think I phrased it wrongly saying full loan, I mean I would pay for the normal livery bills etc.. for someone else to put time into the horse to help me out.
The reason for a project horse being purchased is, a recent death in my family has lead me with a lot of excess money and the member of my family who left me this money wanted me to buy a project, as they knew it's what I wanted.

Bri

Visit site
Would it not be more sensible to wait until you do have the time?
You say you were left the money as the person knew YOU wanted to have a project. Surely getting someone else to school it for you is defeating the object of having a project?
confused.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
The other thing I can suggest is that you get someone to share the riding side of things but not have to contribute to the costs. The other thing you could do is get your intructor to ride the horse a few times a week and then you do the other days. Obviously you will have to pay for their time, but it should work out cheaper than sending it for schooling

jomiln

www.westendfarmstud.co.uk
As a northerner £200 is a lot of money for schooling livery - could you not consider sending a project further north on schooling livery until such a time as you were more able to do it yourself.

Where we are full schooling livery starts at £85 a week.

Skhosu

Visit site
so what would be in it for the person schooling your horse?
I just can't see how a project for yourself would give you the same feel if someone else brought it on!