Can you help? weight related..

ozpoz

Visit site
There are so many threads on rider weights and clearly there are balanced riders using H&H forum, so I thought this was worth sharing here.

There's a study taking place next month, Animal Health Trust with the support of World Horse Welfare and Saddle Research Trust. One of their riders has had to drop out, so they are urgently looking for someone who would be willing to help, minimum 115k, (18st, not re imbursement!)

Please have a read and a think, you may know of someone who would be willing to help. The article says there are expenses and honorarium, whatever that is.

https://tinyurl.com/yb74p3ve

alainax

Visit site
Sounds very useful. Doesn't say where it is though or if you have to stay there for the week straight ( ie need to take a week off work).

I'd love to take part but instead I'll look forward to the report, hopefully it's nice and robust!

Equi

Visit site
Do they mean rider + tack to be 18st or just rider? I'm too light for it but it sounds very interesting!

ozpoz

Visit site
It's at the WHW headquarters, 3rd to 8th of September, in Norfolk. I think it will be fascinating - i'm the wrong weight, too otherwise I'd be volunteering myself.

ozpoz

Visit site
I'm not sure Equi, exactly how they will collect data. There isn't any mention of saddle weight
in the link.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm that weight and I'm off that week as well, but I'm not prepared to ride at this weight. I know its for research but I would feel so uncomfortable doing it that I'm just not prepared to.

AnotherNewbie

Visit site
I'm that weight and I'm off that week as well, but I'm not prepared to ride at this weight. I know its for research but I would feel so uncomfortable doing it that I'm just not prepared to.

I'm thinking exactly the same thing. I've not ridden for ages because unless somebody has an elephant to ride i'd feel awful sitting on it! And i'm off that week and looking for something to do!

ozpoz

Visit site
You wouldn't feel awful because everyone there would be so very grateful and supportive about you taking part!

Without the input of a considerate rider at the required weight we will all keep on seeing struggling horses and ponies because there will be no proper data and evidence to direct legislation and policies worldwide.

alainax

Visit site
You wouldn't feel awful because everyone there would be so very grateful and supportive about you taking part!

Without the input of a considerate rider at the required weight we will all keep on seeing struggling horses and ponies because there will be no proper data and evidence to direct legislation and policies worldwide.
Of course the study will be completed in a non biased way though right?
With the results published regardless of finding, even if that flies in the face of what is currently acceptable.

I am all for clarity, but the study will have to be extremely robust and unbiased to be credible.

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
I really enjoyed watching the ridden heavy horse class at the NF Show recently. I wish there had been more breeds forwards such as the Comtios, Percherons and Brabants as well as the Shires and Clydesdales. Interestingly most were shown by very average sized riders (unlike some of the native classes where there were a number of 'pony squashers' in evidence). I really hope this innovative showing class gets more support as it seems like a great way to promote and preserve the endangered draft horse breeds while offering an option for riders who may feel they are under-horsed on the standard ridden breeds. Wouldn't it be fascinating to place a really nice, correct example of one of the heavy breeds with someone like Carl or Charlotte to see what they could achieve with the best, most correct and sympathetic training?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

It depends on the horse, really, but I have to say that a very overweight, short friend, who has since had surgery, rode my Draft horse, who is probably the best weight carrier I've ever known, better than my Shire and Clydesdales. She is built like an Ardennes but 16hh, very compact with a short back, short legs and a deep barrrel. We set the maximum weight for her at 18st and she never rode for longer than 30 mins, mainly at walk with an occasional short trot - she was a beginner rider.

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
It depends on the horse, really, but I have to say that a very overweight, short friend, who has since had surgery, rode my Draft horse, who is probably the best weight carrier I've ever known, better than my Shire and Clydesdales. She is built like an Ardennes but 16hh, very compact with a short back, short legs and a deep barrrel. We set the maximum weight for her at 18st and she never rode for longer than 30 mins, mainly at walk with an occasional short trot - she was a beginner rider.

That I would probably be ok with, but they are looking for someone to ride for 30mins at a time in walk, trot and canter and it will be on a range of horses. I'm sure they will find someone to do it and its for a very good cause, but its not something I want to do :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
That I would probably be ok with, but they are looking for someone to ride for 30mins at a time in walk, trot and canter and it will be on a range of horses. I'm sure they will find someone to do it and its for a very good cause, but its not something I want to do :)

Yes, I can understand that. The point I was trying to make was that we set 18st as the maximum for my weight carrier, even though the effort required from her was minimal, really. The mare thoroughly enjoyed teaching my friend, she (horse) was in her late teens, healthy and very bossy, she was in her element. :D. I am not sure that I would have wanted her to take part in the research, either.

abbijay

Visit site
I really enjoyed watching the ridden heavy horse class at the NF Show recently. I wish there had been more breeds forwards such as the Comtios, Percherons and Brabants as well as the Shires and Clydesdales. Interestingly most were shown by very average sized riders (unlike some of the native classes where there were a number of 'pony squashers' in evidence). I really hope this innovative showing class gets more support as it seems like a great way to promote and preserve the endangered draft horse breeds while offering an option for riders who may feel they are under-horsed on the standard ridden breeds. Wouldn't it be fascinating to place a really nice, correct example of one of the heavy breeds with someone like Carl or Charlotte to see what they could achieve with the best, most correct and sympathetic training?
I don't want to start a huge debate and I hope this study will give great support and guidance for all on the correct and healthy management of equines but... Can we stop people assuming heavy horses are great weight carriers!
The class you watched was a HOYS qualifier; European and American draft horses are not eligible for this class hence them not being represented. As for seeing what they can achieve I actually find it quite upsetting that despite watching a HOYS class you still think people are not presenting these horses well enough. Mine is ridden and trained by a riding school numpty (me) and yet can still offer very nice lateral work and finds the beginnings of passage easy. Look to fabulous people like Jane Lavington whose Clydesdale is out doing FEI tests and I've seen videos of his one time changes - wow!