Can you help???

Vickie_Minstrel

New User
Visit site
Hi, I have a 13.2 bay gelding who I love to bits but since the weather has turned yak, the school has been really sticky and i haven't been able to ride in it much in the past couple of weeks. I'm a novice and very nervous rider and was building up quite a bit of confidence on him, but when I got on tonight I was really nervous and feel like I've lost all my confidence. How come this has happened in such a short time and he hasn't put a foot wrong or done anything to make me think that hes going to run off with me or anything. I'm so fustrated with myself.... felt like I was really making progress and now I'm back to the beginning............arghhhhhhh
frown.gif
frown.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
Its like anything. When you are doing it on a daily basis, it becomes routine and there is nothing to be scared of. because you arnt riding regularly you are thinking about the ifs and buts far too much and getting yourself into a negative frame of mind. Your pony isnt going to bolt off, he could perhaps be fresh of the lack of exercise, if this is the case why not lunge him for five minutes before you get on him, but you need to think positively.
smile.gif

the watcher

Visit site
Do you have some steady company you can ride out with, don't be alarmed if your pony is a bit more forward going when out, they all are..just stick to routes where you are confident you can keep control of the paces until you feel a bit braver

Vickie_Minstrel

New User
Visit site
we had our first hack out last saturday with a pony the same size as him and he really enjoyed it - we went past a building site (drill and all), a big piece of farming equiptment,sheep, cows, barking dogs had a van go past and loads of cars and he was brilliant - only spooked at a stone on the drive on the way back - they're scary you know, lol. The only thing is, one of the girls from the yard came with us and walked in case he acted up, which was really helpful (this girl also rides him occasionally to keep his schooling up) but she's only 14 and i've just turned 24 and feel abit of an idiot having to leen on these young girls (all of them are really lovely and helpful).... am I being stupid? I feel like i'm never going to get "there" and maybe i'm just fooling myself....

jemima

Visit site
Don't worry about the age thing - my daughter used to have to take my next door neighbour out who suffers with just the same nerves as you - the age difference was some 30 years!

Remind yourself before you get on that this is a strange mix between nerves and excitement and everyone feels it to some degree or other, that it's perfectly natural and it doesn't mean any thing awful is about to happen. SMILE and keep smiling, it'll help relax you. Ask the girl who's helping to hold him and then take your feet out of your stirrups and have a wriggle down in the saddle to make you sit low and loose - if you are tense so will he be, so give your shoulders a good old circle or two. When you get riding and have a bit more confidence taking your feet out of the stirrups and really stretching down and circling your ankles wil also relax you. Oh and natter - all the time to him!

You'll get through it - honest!

Llwyncwn

Visit site
I was about to say the same thing Jem. If you can find something to laugh about, that will help to relax you. I didnt ride for 9 months while cass was poorly and my husband had to lead me out the first time! Its perfectly natural to be anxious. If you can, try to ride him for at least 5 mins every day if poss. You will soon get over your nerves.

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
hey,. my friend who was so nervous she made herself sick used to count things like bricks in a walk....leaves on a tree...sounds strange but it keeps you relaxed and keeps your mind off of being nervous!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
aww hugs (((())))

I'm 26 and feel much happier on a 13.2 than anything. I don't ride often (I'm free skivvy to my kids pony) and when I do I can be on the safest thing out and still get nervous.

You need to remember that a bond with a pony isnt just about riding it. When you can't ride spend time doing in-hand work, lots of grooming, massages etc. You may find that that will build your trust in him, and his in you, far more.
You also need to think, has he ever done anything really bad with you? no? then why should he now? You have brakes, and I usually find so long as you keep your weight in your heels when you ride and don't 'perch', as a novice if they spook or anything, you won't fall off. If he's fresh, then keep your weight back, through your bum (even lean back slightly) sit down well and don't lean fowards. This will have a calming effect o him, and encourage him to steady and settle.

Good luck, it sounds like you have a fab pony.