can you loan broodmares?

siennamiller

Visit site
I sadly can't keep my mare for a while for personal reasons. I don't really want to sell her so I wondered if you can get people to take them on loan as broodmares ?
She is a reg TB, very pretty, good conformation and temperament. She was going very nicely on the flat and over fences
Is this possible do you think?
Thanks in advance

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
yeah, I've known plenty of people do this (maesfenhorse did this with Twiggy's Twiggy
laugh.gif
)

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Lots of people loan broodmares, we get offered around five every year.
Best place to advertise her is on one of the sale sites as a loan horse, or in your local tackshop.
The biggest problem now is the time of year, anyone loaning will have to feed her through the winter until they cover her in spring, so not many studs will be that keen.
I think you have a lot more chance of loaning her as a ridden horse and would go down that line. Or find somewhere that does all year round turnout and turn her away for now.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I'm of the opinion that loaning to complete strangers is bloody risky so I'd ask around friends first and see if they'd be interested, failing that advertise her in your local paper/tackshop
smile.gif

darkangel1243

photobucket.com
I leant my best friend my mare for brood loan.
Getting them in foal,the foaling and of course weaning adds upto roughly 2 years depending on how quick your mare takes!!.
I didn't have a contract between us as I still did her every day I just didn't pay rent for the whole time,I rented Cassies womb so to speak.So not quite the same..
I have just recently bought Cassie's half sister to breed from next year so sorry I might of been intrested (not any help to you know I know
wink.gif
)

She now has a new grey mare on brood loan its her 4 broodloan with various different mares quite a few people are doing it,you just need to speak to your local breeder or is their anyone on here looking for a broodmare??

Good luck I hope you find her a nice brood loan home.

Nuttymanxmare

Visit site
Mine has gone out on loan as a broodmare... However they are also buying her off me too (all very complicated)

I advertised her on lots of websites as a riding horse but also stated she had bred two fantastic foals ect...

There are a number of websites that are worth putting her on (horse quest, horsemart, Adhorse ect ect)

Im sure you will find a nice home for her.

siennamiller

Visit site
hi everyone
thanks for your replies. I don't really want her on loan ridden, ideally I want her to go a a broodmare. I have done all the work with her and I know it sounds silly but I don't really want anyone else riding her.
I also know its risky her going on loan having heard horror stories about horses going missing so word of mouth would be best
I would be happy to keep her for the next few months anyway, its not an immediate urgent problem
Annemarie xx
smile.gif

eventingdiva

Visit site
yes, my mare who wouldnt come sound again has gone on loan to someone to have a foal. we were so lucky as we have vaguely known her for years, and happened to mention our situation to her in july, anyway she took her off us and got her in foal by beginning of august!
we've worked it so she pays all costs (except insurance, which we still pay) and she keeps the foal, which she may sell (and knowing me i'll end up buying it!!)
xx