can you make a decent living out of horses?

emmab13

Visit site
Depends what you call decent.

Do you want to work 9-5, drive a REALLY nice car, live in a gorgeous house and run 2 or 3 competition horses with a flash box? I suggest marrying a banker, possibly the best lifestyle choice ever, then making your pocket money teaching/schooling/doing a few liveries.

Or you can do what I do, work 6 til, um, 7 or 8, run a crap car and a pretty average house (just). Compete other people's horses which may or may not be up to the job. Ride what you're given, and still go to work when you've broken the odd rib. Also on one memorable occasion, when I'd partially amputated my toe that morning.

Also hunt twice a week, have a rewarding, exciting day every day, look forward to getting up in the morning and playing ponies FOR A LIVING!!! And don't have to marry a hedge fund manager.

Decent living, maybe not, but for me it is the best LIFESTYLE ever.

Moobucket

Visit site
I'm not sure it's something people go in to to get rich. More a quality of life career path. If working with outside/with horses/with animals is something you enjoy why not do it everyday and earn enough to get by.

I have a livery yard but its not my main source of income. The problem is that everything equestrian is so darn expensive so initial outlay is very high. Also, with the recession you can't expect people to be paying out top dollar for what is essentially a luxury item.

I've never tried trading in horses but at the moment they're fetching low prices. The thing that puts me off is, if you're going to make a buisness about it you have to make financial decisions about animals. That's all well and good until it comes to things like ethuanasing excess stock, getting more foals than might be good for the mare etc... I think i'd hate that.

Keimanp

Visit site
Can you make a decent living from Horses - Yes, people do.

If your definition of a decent living is just getting by then many people do, if it is the national average wage then some people do, if its nice houses, car, boxes, fields etc then few people do.

I've gone for the earning my money outside of the horse industry so I can earn more and play more. The downside is that its not happening as fast as I would like so I am now working additional jobs (Set up my own business, in addition to my day job) to get the income to fund the lifestyle that I want.

MagicMelon

Visit site
As others have said, I think no. I think you have to work extremely hard for not much return, and could easily make a lot more ££ doing a normal office job 9-5! Which is exactly what I do. I would love to play ponies all day, buying youngsters to bring on and sell and I've done it in the past during summers off from uni, but I knew all along that I'd really struggle to do it full time so it was never an option for me. If you look into it, most people who are dealers / breeders / riders etc. come from some money in the first place!

Like Keimanp, I am also looking to start up my own small business to run alongside my normal day job as I'm simply not making enough to fund what I do with the horses (BE & BSJA costs are ridiculous!).

Polotash

Visit site
No. So many people try and fail, unless you are super rich already (i.e. own a swanky yard mortgage free and have lots of liveries) or super talented and can get sponsorship and owners then get a "proper" job (no offence to anyone working with horses, you know what I mean) and spend your salary on keeping your horses as you wish.

What's the joke - something to do with "How do you make a small fortune out of horses? Start with a large one".