Can you refuse part of vetting- seller

sz90168

Visit site
At my yard we have smallish concrete area that is quite slippery and where my horse has nearly slipped over a few times as he has no road nails in (only shod in front). I am worried if the vet suggests to lunge him on that area he will fall over as he is young and not the most balanced. Can I refuse part of that vetting as I do not want him to injure himself by falling over. I have seen this happen in the past.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
You can but it's going to look like the horse will be unsound on the hard and you're trying to not let the seller see.. I would also say it's quite an important part of the vetting. Is there no-where else they could lunge the horse on the hard? Could you box horse to the vet for the vetting or similar?

Ambers Echo

Visit site
There are elements of the test that can be skipped if there is no suitable area and the horse can still pass. Tight circle on hard ground is one of them. But as said above, a buyer may walk away. I’d certainly be upfront about it first and tell both buyer and vet that there is no suitable area for that part of the test and see what they say. If it’s a deal breaker then you may need to find somewhere else to do the vetting.

honetpot

Visit site
I wouldn't let any vet do anything that I thought would injure my horse, it's your animal and if they do not buy it all you have lost is the sale, but you do not have an injured horse. I think you should make the potential buyer aware as they are paying for the vetting, send it in a text as well as speaking to them so you have evidence you have informed them.

sz90168

Visit site
I think it could be done in the car park which hard core but has some big stones. I would rather suggest this as an alternative than risk him on the slippery concrete

ihatework

Visit site
Of course you can refuse, but be prepared for an annoyed buyer.
If you don’t have the facilities to adequately vet a horse I think you should be prepared to box the horse to the vets for the exam

Birker2020

Visit site
My experience of a person who has had issues with her horse post vetting is not brilliant. Lari didn't undergo that part of the vetting as there was nowhere suitable. I remember the vet mentioning it in his post vetting telephone call to me.

Did it make a difference to the outcome? Possibly, yes, given that the big crack on the inside of his foot that went unnoticed by the vet that vetted him (and me to be fair) and has/is causing so many issues, something that my farrier reckons is as a result of an accident he suffered around a year ago. When lunged now in vets assessments it has shown to be causing 3/10 lameness RF on both reins.

I'm sure if he'd been lunged on the hard at the vetting it would have shown up issues. Would I have walked away? Yes most definitely.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
mine was lunged on the hard as part of a 2 stage last week.

FWIW OP we had a similar problem. Started on the carpark which is stony and vet and I agreed it was unsuitable, so ended up on concrete... carefully! you don't have to rag them around though, if the horse is reasonably OK at lunging then it may go OK. i would say to practice it though, mine lit up a bit being in a strange place for "work". we just jogged him around quietly.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
At my yard we have smallish concrete area that is quite slippery and where my horse has nearly slipped over a few times as he has no road nails in (only shod in front). I am worried if the vet suggests to lunge him on that area he will fall over as he is young and not the most balanced. Can I refuse part of that vetting as I do not want him to injure himself by falling over. I have seen this happen in the past.
Sorry, no offence meant to you personally but looked at from the point of view of a buyer I would find that very suspicious. A few weeks of horse-searching makes you presume everyone is trying to con you. If I was buying from you I'd want you to take hime somewhere else that's more suitable.

SEL

Visit site
They don't rag them round but I do think it's important. My Appy is NQR on the hard at the moment but ok on soft so I'd want it done as part of a vetting to rule out any underlying issues (she has navicular which only ever shows up in her right fore on hard ground)

Can you find somewhere less slippery?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
When did this become part of a 5 stage?
When I last had one done (admittedly years ago) they didn't do it

The first horse I was ever asked to do it with sold nearly 30 years ago. It was far from standard at that stage, but it now is, and I think it is one of the best bits of the examination for disclosing hidden problems of horses that you expect to be doing work on circles at any point.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
They lunged my potential horse on the road outside the yard. I wasn't present. The road was plenty wide enough , level and ead on to a private road so no traffic. It was the only ' safe' place to do it .

Asha

Visit site
I’d do it in the car park . Find a spot and pick out all the big stones . That’s what I did when we sold out last one . If I was buying and the seller refused this parting the vetting I would assume they where hiding something.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Foinavon did not get lunged on hard ground during his vetting because the only bits of hard ground within a mile of the yard were a busy public road and the Co-op carpark. Neither of which were ideal. He did some circles on soft ground in a round pen, and I took a punt.

Birker2020

Visit site
Sorry but if I'd asked for a vetting and then was told "oh sorry you can't do a trot-up" then I'd think that was as fishy as a dead mackerel TBH. I would walk away, and also would be pretty niggled that the vet's time (and my money) had been wasted.
But if there is no hard standing and the horse is down a 1/2 mile country lane then there's not a lot you can do.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
If your yard isnt suitable for a vetting ie no flat surface for trot up or hard surface to lunge on our vets prefer you to take to their yard so the vetting can be carried out on proper & fair surfaces for the horse & both parties.

sz90168

Visit site
Thanks all. I will clear an area in the carp park tonight. Horse is quite lively and finds lunging exciting so I rather not risk him on the slippery concrete. Happy for that part of the vetting to be done as I am not hiding anything!

DressageCob

Visit site
When my first horse was vetted the area of hard standing was a bit tight so we went onto the road. I stopped traffic one way, my mum the other way. thankfully very quiet little back lane. That did the job.

Otherwise

Visit site
Really? I wouldn't be spending my money to do that. The onus is on the buyer IMO.
Surely it's just a cost of selling? The last one I sold the buyer wanted a vetting and extensive xrays, they asked me if it was alright if I would take him to the vet for it. I paid for him to go there, same as I paid for the advert.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Surely it's just a cost of selling? The last one I sold the buyer wanted a vetting and extensive xrays, they asked me if it was alright if I would take him to the vet for it. I paid for him to go there, same as I paid for the advert.

Since when has it been on the seller to cover the cost of a vetting? IMO the only time that's the case is when the horse is a dud and it needs a second one/further investigations. It the horse is money fair enough but for your everyday horse it's not necessary.

Squeak

Visit site
Really? I wouldn't be spending my money to do that. The onus is on the buyer IMO.

I did it recently for a horse I was selling. It was the perfect home and I didn't have the right facilities and it was in my interest for the horse to have the best facilities for being vetted. I have my own lorry which makes it a lot easier and less cost.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Since when has it been on the seller to cover the cost of a vetting? IMO the only time that's the case is when the horse is a dud and it needs a second one/further investigations. It the horse is money fair enough but for your everyday horse it's not necessary.
i dont' think it's *on* the seller to cover these costs but it might be pragmatic to do so, otherwise you may end up without any viable sales.

Otherwise

Visit site
I didn't think it needed saying but of course the buyer paid for the vetting, do insuarance companies accept a vetting paid by somebody else? I just don't think it's an unreasonable ask for the seller to pay for the horse to travel to the vet if the seller doesn't have a suitable area.

ihatework

Visit site

High value horses often get sold with a vetting and full set of X-rays.

But that isn’t what this is about.
It’s about providing facilities for the buyer to do a fair vetting - buyer pays for vetting. Seller provides facilities or transports to somewhere that does have facilities