can you remember your SJ/XC round?!

daydreamer

Visit site
Hi,

I wondered how well people can remember how their SJ/XC round went and if anyone has any tips to help me be able to! I know some people seem to be able to remember every stride - is it something they have always been able to do or does it come with experience and practice? Are that some experienced people that still struggle to talk about a round straight after? Does it depend on your ability to remember things in everyday life- as soon as I finish watching a film or tv show I can only remember the vaguest details!

Any answers appreciated :)

frannieuk

Visit site
In my experience, the more you do, the easier it becomes. When you are jumping completely within your comfort zone, you have plenty of time during the round to assess what's going on, think about what you need to do and make the decisions, but when, for whatever reason, your adrenalin has kicked in (jumping a class up/tricky horse/nerves) then everything comes up so much more quickly and one doesn't seem to have the time as the mind is spending all of its resources thinking about the next target. I think that this also reflects on how much you can recall afterwards!
For me, I think it's a bit like peripheral and direct vision - when I'm relaxed and in the zone, all the actual jumping and routing around the course is done by my peripheral thought so the direct thoughts can be used for useful process about how the round is going but when I'm out of my comfort zone, that all goes right out of the window and my brain thinks it needs the direct thoughts for survival!

Old Bat

Visit site
Call me odd but I have always been able to remember rounds that I jumped as a young teenager over 40 years ago, even hacking memories and so many episodes on untried or tricky ponies that came onto the yard where I helped and worked. Its something that has always been there, and stood me in very good stead the first time I had an MRI scan in the tube.....spent the time avoiding claustrophobia by riding my favourite team chasing competition stride for stride.

JustKickOn

Visit site
I can remember anything eventful, but most of the time I can only remember it if someone has videoed it!

livetoride

Visit site
I tend to run over my rounds again and again in my head and so usually can remember them for a while, though if I am riding more than one horse and nothing very eventful happens then I soon forget.