Can you ride on Canal Towing Paths?

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Just down from my yard is the Oxford Canal, it's marked on my map as a "National Trail/Long Distance Route; Recreational Route".

Does anyone know if I am allowed to ride there? (I would have to get off to go under some of the bridges but not a big deal).

Thanks in advance.
Jo (and Bodey) :D

OWLIE185

Visit site
The vast majority of canals are only of footpath status. I would check with the definitive map officer of of your local county council who will be able to tell you of the current status of that path.

partyangel

www.freewebs.com
I ride along our local path occasionally and have never been told off. I do however stay at walk so as not to rip the grass up and more aware of walkers and loose dogs

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
No is the general answer - cycling and foot only.

They arent public land or public footpaths, they are generally owned by British Waterways which isnt government/councils (apparently it is the successor to the many different canal companies which built and operated the canals in their commercial heyday, and is still governed by many of the original Canal Enabling Acts drawn up in the 1700s and 1800s some of which may even prohibit the use of horses other than working canal horses).

Wouldnt fancy it I have to say anyway as a lot are very narrow with a feet deep sheer drop into water...:-O

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
You're not allowed on them around us, they're all footpaths only. There is one bridleway that goes along one for about 100yds, and they go next to a loch/lock(?). The thought of a horse shying and going in one scares the bejesus out of me, so its quite a good thing that they're not bridleways in my opinion...

Visit site
No. I don't think you can. It's not really safe anyway - Canal paths have rocks either that are visible or not very visible. That or the ground is not normally very good for riding on. Also there are plenty of things for a horse to spook at too - boats or big waves made by then and then there is the risk of getting thrown off into the canal. Ask your Town Council - their concerns are normally because of pedestrians and cyclists as well as dogs too, however they may be alright with this. If your council has agreed and you want to go ahead, stick to the wide safe paths and wear all the correct gear.

Capriole

Visit site
Not usually no, but Ive had special dispensation to do so as part of a ride with a local bridleways group a couple of times. (Also, I once had a field whos access was off the towpath, so I had right of access)

Definitely a question for the local definitive map officer :)

rachel_s

Visit site
You're not allowed on them around us, they're all footpaths only. There is one bridleway that goes along one for about 100yds, and they go next to a loch/lock(?). The thought of a horse shying and going in one scares the bejesus out of me, so its quite a good thing that they're not bridleways in my opinion...

Just to note horses did go up and down the tow paths with canal boats - http://www.canaljunction.com/news/info21.htm

However, most are now footpaths and certainly my local canal pathway is no longer suitable for 4 legs unless small due to kissing gates.

Jazzy B

Visit site
yerh it would be great your horse would spook fall in and you would never get out again and it would die! - how ridiculous of course you can't in most places they are far to narrow and when you get to a bridge the chances of remaining sat on your horse while going underneath is unlikely! Watched this ridiculous programme on Horse & Country the other day when these two chaps were hacking around middle England they did it very dangerous!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Just to note horses did go up and down the tow paths with canal boats - http://www.canaljunction.com/news/info21.htm

However, most are now footpaths and certainly my local canal pathway is no longer suitable for 4 legs unless small due to kissing gates.

They still do now and again around us. The local canal society reconstructs the old barges with horses towing them now and again (all dressed in old fashioned clothes).

Like I said, we are allowed to ride on a small section of one of our canals, and it goes past a lock that is probably three storeys of a house deep and nine feet wide. Imagine your horse falling in that, you'd have to hope that it could swim long enough for someone to get a tractor to tow it out.. Also the bridges are very low - when I was a kid we used to ride under them on our ponies and only a 13.2 and under could fit under with a rider on. Its one case where horses have been blocked for safety reasons, not to be petty. I know of someone who had a horse fall in, luckily only in a bit that was 4' deep, but it still got stuck in all the mud at the bottom and was quite ill after being hitched out - it had been in the water for quite a while.

Personally I would rather spend all my time on main roads if it was that or a canal path...

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
I used to ride my first pony on one when I was younger - canal on one side, railway line on the other and having to tuck in the bull rushes when I met the shire pulling the barge full of happy snapping tourists coming the other way! Makes me cringe thinking about it now....!!! What was I thinking!?

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Thank you guys for all you answers and advice, I will look into it further.

And to all you 'Health and Safety' generation, it's ok, I know my horse, and I can control him, but thanks for your concern. Got to love the H&H forum! :rolleyes:

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
yerh it would be great your horse would spook fall in and you would never get out again and it would die! - how ridiculous of course you can't in most places they are far to narrow and when you get to a bridge the chances of remaining sat on your horse while going underneath is unlikely! Watched this ridiculous programme on Horse & Country the other day when these two chaps were hacking around middle England they did it very dangerous!

I know I saw that too - made my stomach turn when he went under that bridge without getting off - not worth the risk!

Spudlet

Visit site
I walk on towpaths with my dog, and I wouldn't fancy meeting a horse on the really narrow ones. I think we'd get squashed flat!

Hairy Old Cob

Visit site
Most Towing Paths" Comes" from when horses donkeys and mules pulled the boats prior to steam engines and then internal combustion engines being fitted are designated as permitted paths, not Footpaths, which enables BW or Contractors to close the Tow Path without council permission as long as you have a towpath diversion in place.

Some towpaths are designated as Footpaths and some actualy have vehicular access and even are designated as bridle paths but this very rare, and these are more commonly on River sections

A large proportion of Towpaths would be unsuitable as bridle paths poor surface narrow with low bridges, and barriers to stop motorbikes etc (Fancy meeting an illegal motor cross bike travelling at speed whilst on a horse on a narrow towpath). In some of the major towns their are still Horse walkout ramps still visible to get your horse out of the water when it has slipped in to the canal for an early bath.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Thank you guys for all you answers and advice, I will look into it further.

And to all you 'Health and Safety' generation, it's ok, I know my horse, and I can control him, but thanks for your concern. Got to love the H&H forum! :rolleyes:

I assume that you're refering to those of us that have actual experience of riding on canal paths and think they're dangerous? I know my horse and can control it too (I'm an instructor and don't have a spooky horse) but I'm not stupid enough to think I'm above accidents happening to me... or stupid enough to put my horse in a dangerous situation! Thought your reply was a bit rude.