Can you teach an old dog(horse) new tricks?

Keltic

Visit site
Had a discussion with someone who had said that their instructor had advised them not to have a horse over 14 as she wanted to have lessons as it wouldnt learn? She just wants to do RC and low level showing and general hacking.
It got me thinking do horses continue to learn? I think they do, can we improve their way of going still?

proctor

Visit site
Had a discussion with someone who had said that their instructor had advised them not to have a horse over 14 as she wanted to have lessons as it wouldnt learn? She just wants to do RC and low level showing and general hacking.
It got me thinking do horses continue to learn? I think they do, can we improve their way of going still?

They definatly do. My boy is 18 and I've had him for 6 months and the stuff we've managed to do in such a short time is amazing. My instructor is one a million, and I couldn't of done it without her. But my horse and I have both been doing stuff neither of us have done before! His age didn't put me off buying him at all. We're learning and improving all the time! :)

Keltic

Visit site
Thats lovely to hear. It did make me wonder I was thinking about having lessons but thought at the time whats the point as my mare is 14! Sort of deflated me abit!! But had decided it doesnt matter though as I need some kick up the butt lessons, just wondered what others thought.

flirtygerty

Visit site
You can teach both old dogs and horses new ways, our 10 yr od mare was a total bitch, she now has manners and learnt quickly that rearing/napping just results in her standing still being very bored.
Our rescued GSD at 9 yrs old bit at the least provocation, a year later he has learnt if he even growled he would spend time in an outside kennel, instead of in the house with us, he was a death row dog and still has issues with the vet, but he is trying, considering a vet jammed his head in a door when he went to be castrated, it's hardly surprising.

Mike007

Visit site
All you with senior horses are soooo lucky, they are sane ,they have survived.Yes they can learn new stuff, and they enjoy it. My problem is my young horse who I want to teach all the good stuff,but he learns all my mistakes just as fast.Your old horse would merely go" what a W++++++++" and ignore the mistakes.Today I introduced bob to clipping, and I knew as soon as I did it that I had F+++++ up, I looked him in the eye and he read it as a problem!Raging bull moment clippers off and a few minutes of peace. Bowl of feed ,try again . No more idiot mike , horse quiet as a lamb.I truely should have known better. So YES you can teach an old horse new tricks but you cant teach a silly old git like me!!:D

Keltic

Visit site
lol Mike! you dont sound like a silly old git!!
hmm My Youngster (tounge in cheek) is 14 and my grown up mare is 30 but they both act like idiots and its usually the 30yr old who gets in trouble! She grows another 2 hands and prances sidewards to the field dragging me along then takes off before I have the headcollar off her nose! as much as i tell her off im secretly delighted she still wants to be naughty!! shh dont telll her..

Pilib

Visit site
I am really interested in this thread as I had a similar experience with a new instructor this weekend. I feel that my horse (19) is much more capable and able than she thinks and as a result I got nothing out of the lesson as she more or less told me to give up on him.

x

MardyMare

Visit site
I have a horse (17) on loan who came to me from a previous bad loan home last year. In his day he raced and he evented and I have just started dressage on him. His owner (who lives abroad) has said she cant believe how sane he is now - obviously mellowed in his old age. He stands tied up, he loads and travels well - he is good in the warm up arena - I got 7's for my walks (I usually get 5's on my hyper younger mare!) and he is loving it. He is so easy to take out to competitions. He is a bit rusty and has developed a few bad habits (as have I since my earlier eventing days) but we are getting there :) He is fab and my biggest problem is having enough time to work him to keep him supple esp as I dont have a school and winter is now fast approaching.

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
I am really interested in this thread as I had a similar experience with a new instructor this weekend. I feel that my horse (19) is much more capable and able than she thinks and as a result I got nothing out of the lesson as she more or less told me to give up on him.

x

Oh, well change instructors then (or I would) as, besides all the points in the world, the fun comes from at least trying and if you don't even have her helping you do that then whats the point.
x