Can you teach an old horse new tricks?

Mellymoo1

Visit site
Just a quick question really.

My boy is 14 and I was told by his previous owners that he didn't jump as he was an ex driving horse who would knock jumps over!

I was wondering if I went right back to basics ie trotting poles, small cross jumps etc, whether I could retrain him. My instructor and I have recently started working him over trotting poles and although he bashed his way through them initially, once he understood what he had to do, he thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm only looking to do low level type jumping with him as I'm not particularly confident but would like to do local shows etc. I also don't want to stress his joints as hes a big horse and is a little more mature.

Can this be done do you think?

tuscanyD

Visit site
It won't do any harm to try and see how far he improves.

If it gets to the point where it feels dangerous and/or he doesn't enjoy it then just stick to what he can do - but you'll never know if you don't have a go.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I had an old horse on loan that was 18yo, she was an ex racer and then had done dressage and never jumped.

When i got her she would blatently refuse to go over a 1ft jump. I kept on at it and by the end she was jumping 3ft courses very happily, i even had a very well respected trainer tell me that she would do well affiliated.

I had to send her back to her owner for something completly unrelated though so never got the chance but my answer is yes i think you can teach an old horse new tricks.

SPARK

photobucket.com
Go for it! I didn't start dressage with my mare until she was about 11 and now at the age of 19 we have reached Medium affiliated level, been placed and won points!

kerrylou123

Visit site
I don't see why not!
My tb mare is 14 and she was a flat racer, so never ever jumped in her life! About a month ago i thought id really clever trying her over some trotting poles which she flew, so i got brave and kept putting the poles up as small jumps! think we finally got to about 2ft3 when i gave up, but she was loving not! Not BSJA material, but she really enjoyed doing something different!