Can you tow with a box if you have just one rear ramp?

cp1980

Visit site
A mate of mine is about to buy another pony. The problem she has now is that her box, when loaded with all the kit and carraiges only has room for one pony.

I know that on a pre-97 car licence or just a plain C licence you can tow a small trailer without an additional test (upto 750 kg).

BUT what does the law say about towing a trailer when the only way you can unload your horses is through a rear ramp (and therefore you need to uncouple the trailer first)?

I haven't found anything yet online, but I wondered if anyone else had heard anything?

Sooty

Visit site
No idea. Would it not be better to put the horses in the box and get a trailer for the carriage? Can't see the ramp thing being a problem, I have often seen lorries towing a trailer with a carriage in.

cp1980

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Would it not be better to put the horses in the box and get a trailer for the carriage?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm thinking (sorry - wasn't clear in my post above). She could take both horses in the box and use a little trailer for the carriage, IMO. Just heard a rumour that you should not tow if you only have a rear ramp. I suspect this is just a best-practice measure, but should check legal stuff first... ignorance is no defence etc.

cp1980

Visit site
Like this one:
L173.jpg

bellgave

Visit site
I think you need to take your towing test thats all. Almost all the carriage drivers have lorries with huge trailers behind. You should just give your local HGV teaching center a call and they should help. It is def' possible and not illegal I am just unsure if you need a licence etc

the watcher

Visit site
she should also check the weight capacity of her lorry to see how much leeway she has with a trailer and whether it will cope with the 2 ponies on board.

In principal I don't think there is a problem with adding a trailer to a rear unload lorry

cp1980

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to take your towing test thats all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can tow a trailer upto 750kg without a towing licence. She would only need to tow a 130 kg carriage, and a simple trailer would weigh about the same.

cp1980

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
not sure if i have read it right, but what if there is an accident can you get the pony out in a emergency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - that is something that would put me off, but if it's a very small trailer that can be pulled off in thirty seconds, maybe that would be OK.

But there may be a legal issue because of this risk...