Can you wear an air jacket only for hacking?

PipsqueakXy22

Visit site
As the title really- can you just wear an air jacket with no body protector underneath when hacking only?
Horse is a bit spooky and naughty out hacking alone, will sometimes spin and buck etc and I find body protectors so bulky and restrictive especially when trying to control a spinning bucking horse so want to wear my air jacket only if possible.

Tronk

Visit site
Yes. I used to wear my Hit Air only for hacking, especially on roads. I figured better than falling off with no protection at all. They’re so light you don’t know you’re wearing them…don’t forget to unclip before dismounting though!!!

Skib

sites.google.com
It is perfectly possible. OH wore one for a time in school lessons.
Just be aware that the mechanism may fail which is why for eventing one must have a bp as well. I was once taught riding by an older instructor whose daughter broke and trained young horses and always wore an air jacket for her work. That didnt prevent her comig off and breaking her arm.

I wear a bp and always have so it is habit and I dont notice it. However I had a problem this week (for the first time) ducking under low trees. I need to check as it was hitting me under the chin.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You can do what the hell you like! Do you mean is it as effective as with a body protector as well. No, that's the gold standard. Is it still really effective in the case of a fall. Yes.

ycbm

Visit site
Just be aware that the mechanism may fail which is why for eventing one must have a bp as well.

This is extremely rare.

I was once taught riding by an older instructor whose daughter broke and trained young horses and always wore an air jacket for her work. That didnt prevent her comig off and breaking her arm.

Not sure of the relevance? Neither will a body protector or an air jacket worn with a body protector.

asmp

Visit site
Yes. I used to wear my Hit Air only for hacking, especially on roads. I figured better than falling off with no protection at all. They’re so light you don’t know you’re wearing them…don’t forget to unclip before dismounting though!!!
I agree with all this! I have a hi viz one so no need for a hi viz vest.

PipsqueakXy22

Visit site
thanks everyone!

mine hasn’t been serviced or used in 5 years still has the original canister in do you think it will be ok?

also I lost the attachment for the saddle is it dangerous to clip straight onto the D ring?

I would take the time to have it serviced and buy replacement parts, it’s just I had a really bad hack yesterday feared for my life slightly ? manage to fight through and win the battle! I want to go out again tomorrow to reinforce what we’ve learnt but would rather some extra protection if possible! That’s why it’s slightly urgent

ycbm

Visit site
thanks everyone!

mine hasn’t been serviced or used in 5 years still has the original canister in do you think it will be ok?

No. It needs testing and if it's a P2 the airbag replacing. If it's a Hit Air it's too old to service and needs throwing away.

also I lost the attachment for the saddle is it dangerous to clip straight onto the D ring?

Yes. D rings are attached by staples that easliy pull out. I tie the D ring to the stirrup bar with kevlar string.

PipsqueakXy22

Visit site
No. It needs testing and if it's a P2 the airbag replacing. If it's a Hit Air it's too old to service and needs throwing away.

Yes. D rings are attached by staples that easliy pull out. I tie the D ring to the stirrup bar with kevlar string.

It’s a point two but I’m thinking I can trade in and get 50% off a new one?

ycbm

Visit site
It’s a point two but I’m thinking I can trade in and get 50% off a new one?

If it's got a screw in canister that's a great option, which I did myself a few years back.

If it's got a bayonet canister you can just buy a service, for a fraction of the cost.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
It is perfectly possible. OH wore one for a time in school lessons.
Just be aware that the mechanism may fail which is why for eventing one must have a bp as well. I was once taught riding by an older instructor whose daughter broke and trained young horses and always wore an air jacket for her work. That didnt prevent her comig off and breaking her arm.
Well I broke my back wearing a body protector ?‍♀️