Can you wear white breeches for BE???

Fairy Dust

Visit site
As title really, I wear white purely as personal preference (with a navy jacket).

But at BCA yesterday I had my eventer friend helping me and she said that you weren’t allowed to wear white at the lower levels (doing BE90/100 atm) She also said that she overheard a girl at Ascott-Under-Wychwood being told off by a dressage steward last week for wearing white (again at the lower levels- I know riders do wear white at top level).

So is this a rule?? Do you think judges will have a negative impression of me if I wear white?

I find it hard to imagine as these are BD judges anyway aren't they- so they are used to seeing riders in white??

Help please as I will swap to tweed and cream if it gets me more marks!! :p:)

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I always wore white with long black boots. Never had any issue. I have had considerable variation in my dressage scores but not sure I can blame that on what I was wearing, or perhaps I can :D

MK3DEDay1056.jpg

Last edited:

jumptoit

Visit site
You definitely could last season even though the rule book implied that you couldn't (BE forum query here) and I don't think the rule book has changed since last year.

ETA - Here more recently, so white is allowed but not preferred. I wore white last season and nobody ever said anything but I did print off the thing from the BE forum and keep it in my rule book just incase :).

Last edited:

Fairy Dust

Visit site
You definitely could last season even though the rule book implied that you couldn't (BE forum query here) and I don't think the rule book has changed since last year.

ETA - Here more recently, so white is allowed but not preferred.

So confused!! Thanks for this though- maybe I should just send a quick email to BE to confirm? :)

I think I worry a bit about the impression I give though as well. I know we like to think that judges won't be so petty, but as my friend observed the other week they obviously are. And I do think that dress does influence people (i.e. judges!!) even if it's sub-consciously! :)

j1ffy

Visit site
A friend of mine was dressage writing in the BE90 at BCA yesterday and the judge gave a telling off to someone for wearing white breeches, I don't know if they were penalised though.

I wasn't aware of the rule and it didn't come up when I was writing on Saturday, though I can't remember if there were any white breeches in our section.

As for the judges being used to seeing white at BD, it seems that a lot of judges mostly do BE despite being BD registered, plus I'm sure they will make sure they're familiar with any BE rule pecularities!

Fairy Dust

Visit site
A friend of mine was dressage writing in the BE90 at BCA yesterday and the judge gave a telling off to someone for wearing white breeches, I don't know if they were penalised though.

I wasn't aware of the rule and it didn't come up when I was writing on Saturday, though I can't remember if there were any white breeches in our section.

As for the judges being used to seeing white at BD, it seems that a lot of judges mostly do BE despite being BD registered, plus I'm sure they will make sure they're familiar with any BE rule pecularities!

Thanks j1ffy- that's really useful to hear it first hand, I think I will wear cream next time. I just had no idea about this rule and have seen people over the years in white- wasn't until my friend mentioned it yesterday that I started to question!

To be honest, I am STILL scrubbing my white breeches clean from yesterday so cream/beige may not be such a bad idea! :p:)

**Is it OK to still wear a navy jacket? Also can I wear a white stock, navy jacket and beige breeches??

Floatinghorse

Visit site
I wore my white breeches yesterday at BCA in Section I, my horse is white/grey so I think they don't stand out too much and compliment him and also my xc colours are black and white so cream spoils it. I wear a black jacket with them....:rolleyes:

MegaBeast

Visit site
white is only allowed for the higher levels and is not considered correct at novice or below. However a lot of people do seem to ignore this rule and get away with it. Although you could say it's petty I think it's nice myself.

DarkHorseB

Visit site
The difficulty is who has the colour charts to say what is white, off white, ivory, buff or fawn :rolleyes: As a steward I would be hard pushed to pass judgement on jod colour!!

Regarding gloves as well - are they meant to be light coloured at BE for dressage. I cannot see they were but someone told me they were "strongly advised"

Also looking at the rules would you be E for not wearing gloves for SJ? I know you would for dressage but see they are down in list of attire for SJ too but oddly not XC

Fairy Dust

Visit site
Hmmm, I do think that BE need to somehow makes the dress rules slightly clearer. Especially regarding the gloves rule- I have been wearing white gloves since I heard that it is now compulsory for BD through fear of getting eliminated!

Don't get me wrong- I do like the fact that there are strict rules about dress etc but I really don't see why white breeches are not allowed. If I wear my navy jacket, white stock (checked BE rules- this is OK!!), horse has a white saddle cloth then I have cream breeches...........surely it will clash!!

I do really like beige/cream with tweed but think white looks better with navy/black. And I refuse to buy a tweed jacket as it's just an unnecessary expense.

Hope no one takes my post the wrong way- I really don’t mean to have a go at judges etc but did question whether I was perhaps considered to have purposefully disobeyed the rules when I genuinely didn't know! :)

Lolo

Visit site
For navy, try a pale canary instead of beige? After a lot of chopping and changing, it's what Al uses and it looks lovely with bother her tweed, a navy jacket and her XC colours. Plus, it does hide dirt remarkably well!

kerilli

Visit site
i'm obv old-fashioned because i think white looks terrible, especially at the lower levels. but i go the other way and get away with as dark a beige or cream as i dare (far more flattering!)
as to not being able to tell "white, off white, ivory, buff or fawn", i'd say that of those white is the easiest to define, the others i agree are disputable. i sold a pair of beige breeches on ebay once and even though the colour was obvious in the photos the buyer was snotty about the colour being 'more cream than beige' - oh dear, i can't tell the difference then!
white is THE most unflattering colour imho, it looks good in men's baggy breeches but most women's breeches look horrendous in white imho, unless the wearer has a supermodel figure.

jumptoit

Visit site
I got a comment on my dressage sheet twice last year re. the lack of white gloves when the website says gloves of any colour.

Fairy Dust - I am exactly the same as you I prefer white with a black/navy jacket,and refuse to spend money on a tweed and my black jacket goes in the washing machine! I haven't evented yet this year but I have worn white with no problems for the past 3 seasons (though I've got a beige pair now after PC kept saying I stuck out at Areas :rolleyes:), last year they were quite common at some events particularly Hexham. If I were you I would just get confirmation from the BE forum :).

ETA - I am keeping an eye out for some of these in the sale as they are a really nice colour with Black/Navy :)

Last edited:

Fairy Dust

Visit site
I got a comment on my dressage sheet twice last year re. the lack of white gloves when the website says gloves of any colour.

Fairy Dust - I am exactly the same as you I prefer white with a black/navy jacket,and refuse to spend money on a tweed and my black jacket goes in the washing machine! I haven't evented yet this year but I have worn white with no problems for the past 3 seasons (though I've got a beige pair now after PC kept saying I stuck out at Areas :rolleyes:), last year they were quite common at some events particularly Hexham. If I were you I would just get confirmation from the BE forum :).

ETA - I am keeping an eye out for some of these in the sale as they are a really nice colour with Black/Navy :)

Oooh they are nice! Think I'm going to go and get a pair of beige Pikeurs as I know they fit well and are good quality etc. BUT I am keeping my navy jacket!! ;):)

Kerilli- without sounding like an arrogant idiot- I am a size 6/8 and 5'9, so whilst def not a supermodel, think I pull off white just about lol!! :) And I agree re distinguishing cream colours/shades- what on earth is 'fawn' colour anyway?! :rolleyes:

As I mentioned before though, after yesterday's weather and a now ruined pair of white breeches (due to the mud, didn't even fall off!!!) I am now actually quite looking forward to the beige!!

:)

ElleJS

Visit site
I love navy jacket and white breeches and I think it looks modern and sleek. Iit must be a well cut fitted jacket and not look tacky! :) I do wear tweed and cream sometimes though, ie when it rains as white is rather see through ;) and when on naughty babies and need to blend into the background!

I do think it shouldn't matter what colour you wear, like British Showjumping allow all sorts of colours and jackets, Eventing needs to go with modernity!

I do remember once being told off for having a brass clencher browband on my horse when I was 15 at a pre novice and having to turn it inside out before the dressage!

AandK

Visit site
I've always worn white breeches (with black jacket) when doing BE and have never been pulled up on it. I have done at least one event every year since 2003 and have done two events this year at BE90 level.
I think the rules may have changed slightly this year as I too have heard of people being told off for wearing white..

Personally, I think white looks much smarter with black or navy compared to beige. And what I don't understand is why rules say you can wear white for XC but not the other two phases..?!
I need to get some new breeches soon and am torn between White and cream.. Mainly because my XC colours are turquoise and white and cream wouldn't look right to me! And I'm not buying one of each colour!! ;)

Fairy Dust

Visit site
I was a bit worried about my bling browband too! It is quite subtle though! I have also heard of people being told off for a brass brow band, think it was a few years so am thinking BE have moved on a bit! :rolleyes:

Although I do like the tradition, when you look at BD and BS eventing is rather 'behind the times' and I do think personally that white breeches should be allowed! :)

Each to their own and I do respect everyone has different opinions! :D

BEVol

Visit site
For some reason this season SOME dressage judges are having a right go about white johds/breeches. At ALW unaffiliated & Broadway one judge was handing out penalties to riders in white johds unfortunately she could not tell the difference between very pale cream and white! It's also not for the judge at a BE event to divi out penatlies but any such issues should be referred to the BE steward, perhaps with a recommendation. I did hear something about white johds/breeches and fines at BCA but so far have not been able to clarify this.

I believe we should all be pushing for clarity and consistency on this. :confused::confused::confused:

oldvic

Visit site
The judge should refer any dress code infringements to the BE steward as it is their discretion as to whether the rider is eliminated, not the judge's. I would hope the BE steward would see sense - many pro riders wear white breeches. It is not practical to expect them to change if riding horses at different levels on the same day so everyone has to be able to wear the same even if it is technically incorrect.

Fairy Dust

Visit site
Fines! Points deducted! Elimination!! :eek:

I am definitely wearing cream/beige for my next event!!

I do think they need to make it clearer, I KNOW it does technically state it in the rules but still think many of us assume white is ok :)

oldvic

Visit site
One of my friends got deducted two marks dressaging because of white jods with tweed!

If any judge deducts marks, the scorers ought to query it with the BE steward as it is incorrect. You are quite within your rights to query this with BE if you have been incorrectly scored. They may not change the score but they can't be aware there is a problem if nobody tells them.

rotters13

Visit site
Ha! I know the answer to this one after an outing to Aston Le Walls earlier this year where I got deducted 2 PENALTY points (not marks!) for wearing white breeches and not beige. I have worn beige since but didn't really complain at the time as it didn't affect where I came. So, even if no one pulls you up on it, wear the correct colour any way as it is not worth the hassle!

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Ha! I know the answer to this one after an outing to Aston Le Walls earlier this year where I got deducted 2 PENALTY points (not marks!) for wearing white breeches and not beige. I have worn beige since but didn't really complain at the time as it didn't affect where I came. So, even if no one pulls you up on it, wear the correct colour any way as it is not worth the hassle!

:eek::eek::eek:
Are we all going to have to keep the labels from our jods proving they are a variation of cream rather than white:rolleyes:
Particularly bad when their own members of staff have posted on BE forum that it IS ok to wear white. I would have taken it up with head office and directed them to the posts jumptoit mentioned!

TheoryX1

Visit site
Aha,thats why Mini TX got a 35 for her dressage, after doing a lovely test at a BE100 plus - she was wearing white breeches. I have to say, she has never had a problem, and she has worn white breeches with a pale grey/blue tweed jacket, dark blue spotted stock and blue velvet cap for dressage and showjumping since she was doing intros, when they really were called intros. White breeches also look good with her xc colours of a white t shirt with a violet coloured BP and hat cover, covered up by a fetching black Point 2 (cant get it in violet - sponsors colours - believe me, we have tried).

She's now at the dizzy heights of JRNs, and they all wear white breeches with their tweed. Havent ever seen anyone wear light coloured gloves - my daughter wears a pair of black Macwets. She still manages to get 24s for her dresssage though.

Cant say we have ever heard of this rule, and what a silly thing to do to mark someone down because they are wearing white breeches and not cream. Its a bit ridiculous, as the colour of your breeches has no influence on the way you ride, nor your horses way of going.

Oddly enough when she does BD she wears a very smart Pikeur navy jacket with a white silk stock, and white gloves - I personally think this looks very very sleek and smart. Hopefully she will wear it when she does her first IN later on this summer.