Canicross?

Amye

Visit site
Best thing to do is join a group or run with another dog as they will chase the other dog.

We don't have another dog to run with consistently so we have two harnesses for our dog - a running one and a walking one so he knows what's expected in both. My OH does most of the running with him but he's taught him with a command word 'let's go' and when Teds pulls into the harness he gets told he's a good boy. He got a treat at first but we now want him to keep going so he gets a 'good boy! Carry on!' and that encourages him to keep going. We kept everything shortish at first so he got the idea. And we'd make sure he'd been out not long before a run so he had emptied himself (though if he does need a wee we do let him!). If he starts to sniff we'd say the 'let's go' command again to get him moving as he knows that means run. TBH once Teds gets going he does mainly focus on the running, not like when we're just walking along and he's sniffing everywhere.

You could also try and go to a park run? There will be other people there to 'chase' and encourage your dog along, and there may be other dogs?

ETA: They don't chase as in chasing after a squirrel, it's more just running with the other dog that encourages them along.

Cahill

Visit site
we amble a bit for wees etc then also use the `lets go` command,they know that this means no stopping for a bit.
only had to do it for a couple of sessions and it clicked into place.
as i dont run very fast i also use `whoa`too, not being good at my left and right,an outstretch arm gives them direction where paths meet (this comes from our rearX`s in agility) :)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
running in a group gives them a good start and you use commands such as hike on, gee and haw, on by (for passing someone/thing) and you can use your leave command as well. they generally pick it up quickly and you toilet them as much as possible first. although the nose thing depends on the dog/breed-generally they learn that running is running but you still get the odd dive for an interesting sniff (I did with Quarrie, Fitz is fine). both of mine also have a strong wait and slow commands even when just walking.