Canisports

eatmyshorts

Visit site
How many here have had a go?

We compete in canicross (running when pulled by a dog), bikejor (cycling while pulled by a dog) & dryland mushing (driving a team of dogs on a rig, which is like a sled on wheels). The dogs absolutely love it, it keeps them fit & content, & creates such a good bond because you are working as a team with your dog, not to mention how many new friends we've made over the years. I've placed a lot of rescue dogs into canisports homes too & it's great to see them leading active lives. We have 3 purebred GSP's, one GSPxGSDxDoberman, & an Alaskan husky, all who do all types of canisports.

A few photos of them in action (i'd add a video but not quite sure how):

Amicus

Visit site
I use to do Canicross with a labrador who I have to admit probably competed more to indulge me than a genuine love of it, she'd have preferred to spent more time sniffing about and appealing to all and sundry for biscuits for a half starved hound! I love seeing dogs who have a genuine love to run competing though especially the sort who really need an outlet. Your photos are brilliant really flying in the top 3!

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Aww, bless, appealing to all for biscuits sound much more of a lab sport :) x Thanks re the pics - they are scary fast sometimes! :) x

Thistle

Visit site
How do you teach the dogs when to pull and when not too (going down hill?). Do the dogs walk on a lead nicely when not in working harness?

My Springer would love this, he picks up shooting in the winter, he could do this in the summer.

Daughters boyfriend is a runner/cyclist, he took dog running last weekend and said he quickly got the idea of running just out in front.

Cahill

Visit site
we do mostly agility but some OB,have done rallyO and canix (mostly on out own but building up for group run)

both dogs know what the job is and no conflict between the sports

i often use the `go` command in agility so when running on a line i say that and a `whoaa` to slow down.
i have trouble with my L+R but just sticking my arm out works has have taught that in agility with rear X`s.

lots of skills are used in each activity for example, a good OB wait is used in agility.

Cahill

Visit site
I would love to try this but my dog can be very reactive to other dogs and I'm scared I would go flying! Are all of the dogs generally well behaved?

some do get excited but i find the people in dog sports much more aware of dog behaviour than joe public.i have one that can be a bit of a crosspatch but just tell people and find yourself a space :)

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Reply to Thistle:

It's more a Winter sport TBH, because you have to be very careful of temperatures. A dog pulling in harness uses approx 4 times the energy of a dog running loose so can overheat much more easily (we tend to train in temps below about 10 degrees & also take humidity into account). No, they don't pull on leash, although i do walk them in haltis, just so there's a clear distinction. I guess it's like a stallion knowing that his job depends on whether or not he has his covering bridle or his riding bridle on.

The best idea if you want to have a go is to find out if there any groups local to you (eg. check Facebook). Some groups have spare kit to let newcomers borrow, & will also keep you right. A lot of dogs take to pulling quite easily, especially if worked with other more experienced dogs around. They are taught commands so they know whether to go left/right, straight on, steady, on-by past something etc. The great thing about canicross/bikejor is that anyone with a dog & a bike can try it - obviously so long as the dog is capable & in good health. Loads of different breeds partake in canicross - everything from Yorkies to Irish Wolfhounds, although Dryland mushing is mainly hounds & Northern breeds. You might think you'll be off into the first hedge as soon as a rabbit crossed the path, but once trained, you tend to find it's just like putting your foot on the accelerator!

eatmyshorts

Visit site
I would love to try this but my dog can be very reactive to other dogs and I'm scared I would go flying! Are all of the dogs generally well behaved?

We've also got a very reactive dog (the big GSP/GSD/Dobie) & we've found it helps him. We tend to keep him a little bit away from the other dogs, especially when they're all excited. Once he's working he's much calmer around other dogs. One of the groups we trained with have a "Wobbly Dog" photo album so you can introduce your dog & outline any special request (eg. don't get too close) before you go running together.

Last edited:

eatmyshorts

Visit site
we do mostly agility but some OB,have done rallyO and canix (mostly on out own but building up for group run)

both dogs know what the job is and no conflict between the sports

i often use the `go` command in agility so when running on a line i say that and a `whoaa` to slow down.
i have trouble with my L+R but just sticking my arm out works has have taught that in agility with rear X`s.

lots of skills are used in each activity for example, a good OB wait is used in agility.

Yeah, I know a few whose dogs successfully do both agility & canisports. "Wait" is my most important command, i teach it every day & it's saved me a few times! :)

Thistle

Visit site
Thanks for answering my questions, we used a harness for him to run last weekend. He knows slip lead + whistle= work. He is also pretty good on voice commands so we may have a play. I hadn't thought about the temperature but makes sense.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I used to run sibes over 20 years ago-so much fun. once the dogs I have are a little older I'd like to try canicross although I'd probably just do it on my own. dog training classes use up the small amount of social capacity I have (very antisocial).

We have started tracking work-I could get into that I think.

great pics op-used to work my collie off a bike, we had some great times exploring.

pippixox

Visit site
My Gsd loved running, would do 10 miles sometimes. But never did Cani-cross as he was reactive and it would blow his mind! He learned to run to heel as that was better on pavements.

Our new dog is a collie X 2yo who I think would love to try some running related activities and she loves exercise

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I compete with a pair of second-hand fairly reactive dogs and have just got back from a day of agility with them, so it's definitely possible to switch between disciplines. :)

We've been racing for five years now (can't quite believe it) in either two dog rig or bikejor and despite being pretty rubbish we've made the British team and survived two European championships.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
I compete with a pair of second-hand fairly reactive dogs and have just got back from a day of agility with them, so it's definitely possible to switch between disciplines. :)

We've been racing for five years now (can't quite believe it) in either two dog rig or bikejor and despite being pretty rubbish we've made the British team and survived two European championships.

LOL, some of ours are second hand too :) I actually love seeing so many rescues competing. Funnily enough we tried my young GSP dog at agility last year & he was very good at it (can't say the same for me!). Is it sibes you run Blackcob? We've been competing about the same time - lots of bronze & silver medals but we're still chasing that elusive gold! Maybe next year ...

I've toyed with tracking too MoC but never got as far as doing it - i think my hubby would give it a try with the big fella (although i think he'd prefer to be a security dog than a sniffer dog or a sled dog!).