cankers

Loopy_laura

Visit site
hi all, my firends horse 'Jack' has been having problems with his feet since she bought him about 2months ago from melton market horse sales, (i know... she should have known better but it was love!) anyway... he had the stinkiest feet in the world, really they where vile. her farriers came out and said it was just bad thrush, and to clean them daily with hibiscrub and keep him on dry bedding, but after four weeks and no improvement she called her vet. the vet trimmed away some of the dead rotten frog and polticed the foot told her to change that twice a day. the vile puss that came out the foot was nothing less than horrific! i was nearly sick it smelt so bad! after a 5days of this he went to a family friend who was and still is looking after him for her, cleaning his foot dressing it so on... he has advised her to have another vet look at the foot and the verdict is... Canker! with 2 options, 1 surgery 2 putting him down.
according to the vet he has had this for months.
if anyone has any experiance of this or has any advice it will all be apprecated.
also on legal issues of selling a horse in this condition?
she has the weekend to decide!
he has made a massive inpact on everyone who has met him, he really is the sweetest horse.
thanks Laura xx <font color="purple"> </font>

leanne123

Visit site
this must be horrible for everyone concerned, sorry can't really help as have never seen or heard of any horse with this.
was he lame , foot sore when she bought him?

Klaudette

Visit site
At most horse sales horses are examined by a vet before going into the ring. A bad case of canker should have been detected and rendered this horse unfit for sale... An avenue to pursue perhaps...?
The procedure to remove the necrotic tissue associated with canker is bloody horrific. Literally bloody! However, if done correctly will cure the horse. Canker is pretty uncommon these days in the UK so I'm very sorry for your friend.
If the horse is youngish and of good nature then surgery is a good option. It requires a general anaesthetic and many dressing changes hence is very expensive.
Medical management of true canker is futile. Good luck!!

GreedyGuts

Visit site
If I were her I would get him referred to a hospital for intensive treatment.
In many advanced cases surgery is the best option, and while it is bloody - the sole/frog is trimmed back to healthy tissue and often this involves going deep, and horses are painful following it and need intensive aftercare, they recover well and the prognosis for a return to full soundness is good. Medical management can be attempted and involves debridement of the thickened tissue and the application of drying/antibacterial solutions and may be successful in some cases.

Loopy_laura

Visit site
thank you every one i have printed this off to show her,
i spoke to my friend last night and she is going to have the surgey done...
thankfully money is no issue so i surpose he is a lucky boy.
we have reported the dealer who put him through the auction to the ilph as we are concerned for animals he may have in his care.
i'll keep you posted on how he gets on! x

Loopy_laura

Visit site
oh silly me!! .... i wnet o give jack some kisses and cuddles today as he is off to the vets tomorrow... and i just sobbed!
he is just one of those horses that is so easy to love! fingers crossed!

hayleygunson

Visit site
Lucky boy, wonderful new owner and what a good friend she has! Please let us know how he gets on. Well done for reporting the dealer!!!!!

Good luck fella - I have my fingers crossed for you.