Can't believe I've to ask in May..

Equi

Visit site
But I'm away for a few days and my friend will be checking the horses as my family can't change rugs, but they will be out. Some won't have rugs as still have coats but one is clipped with regrowth of about 1month. Shelter is good and she has a lot of flab to loose so do I put a rain sheet on and hope it stops snowing and the sun comes back or put medium rug on cause it's actually freezing or nothing cause she's a fat Shetland who can tough it out?!

(friend can change rugs obviously but I want as little faffing about as possible as mare can be very hard to catch and friend has full time job, kids and her own horses to sort!)

I hate going on holiday :(

Merlod

Visit site
Personally i'd go rainsheet, it will keep the wet off her if the rain keeps up but if it does get warm she won't get too hot. As long as she has enough to eat she will stay warm enough with just the rainsheet :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I'd go for a medium. Rain sheets flatten the coat and therefore make the horse colder especially at night.

Merlod

Visit site
I think i'm just mean :) my welsh D was hunter clipped in the winter and almost has his summer coat, it's about half way through and he's been out naked for a week despite the recent weather, although the rain is not nice it doesn't last long the sun then comes out very warm and dries him off. I caved last night and put a rainsheet on as it was raining in the evening and obviously won't warm back up overnight without the sunshine. I'd rather have a fat native a bit colder than too hot.

Equi

Visit site
That's what I worry about but there's not much cost to raise up anyway. It's a case of what's worse too cold or too warm (remembering she's quite fat )

Merrymoles

Visit site
I always think too warm is worse than too cold - they are tougher than we think they are and losing a few pounds to keep warm won't do her any harm. Unless there is literally no grazing, I'd go with naked!

vallin

Visit site
My fully clipped warmblood who is prone to being tubby has been in a rainsheet since the end of feb. If they are the slightest bit tubby the first thing I do is down grade the rugsso I certainly would be worried, if they're cold they'll move to warm up.

only_me

Visit site
Feel your pain! It's absolutely Baltic here at the minute & weather changes so quickly - yesterday within 2 hours we had 3 heavy hail storms, bright sunshine, snow, light rain...!
I've my horse in a LW (50g), was thinking today that he would be better off in a MW as the wind is cutting cold.

The Shetland is out naked though, I think you would be better off not rugging him :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
A fat Shetland - deffo not medium weight *IHW faints*

Unclipped, of course not, but shetlands are only so hardy mainly BECAUSE of their exceptionally thick coats. This one is clipped. Their system is designed to cope with very cold weather because they have such good insulation. Clipping a pony with over the average natural insulation makes it harder for them to adapt than a pony with a normally thinner coat.

Makemineacob

Visit site
If he's clipped then just a lightweight, it will keep him dry and he won't overheat if it gets a little sunny. Two of ours are clipped and in no fills/LWs just to keep them dry and they aren't getting hot when the sun does actually come out.

ihatework

Visit site
Unclipped, of course not, but shetlands are only so hardy mainly BECAUSE of their exceptionally thick coats. This one is clipped. Their system is designed to cope with very cold weather because they have such good insulation. Clipping a pony with over the average natural insulation makes it harder for them to adapt than a pony with a normally thinner coat.

We will have to agree to disagree.
It sounds as though this pony has plenty of natural insulation.

THIS is precisely why we have an epidemic of obese laminitic horses/ponies IMO

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would leave the Shetland naked and put 50g or 100gm rugs on the others if they are clipped or fine coated, that's the only weight rugs I have using for weeks but they are out naked today as it's quite warm in the day here

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My clipped TB x is out naked; she can either use the extra weight from the new grass to keep warn or have a grazing muzzle on; it makes more sense to me to leave everything off.

It's currently 6 degrees here and heavy rain due. Unclipped are out in med weights, clipped are out in heavy without necks. I check them regularly throughout the day. None of them are even slightly too warm. They were all out naked ten days ago. All are warmbloods.

Annagain

Visit site
Mine are back in their 100g having been naked a few days ago. Although the temperature is dipping here, it's not consistently low enough to warrant a medium. Their clips have all but grown out now and they seem plenty warm enough. I hope it sorts itself out by next week though, they're due to go out this weekend and the summer turnout area good 5 minutes walk away down a steep hill. I don't fancy lugging a full change of rugs down to the field in the morning and again in the evening.

OP, I'd go with a lightweight, it can't get any colder and I'm sure it won't do her any harm to be a bit chilly if she's tubby.

Nappy Croc

Visit site
She'll be fine without a rug if she has plenty of grub :) We have a clipped (cushingoid- basically no regrowth yet) veteran Shetland. He has a rain sheet at night and in naked during the day. He's prone to a bit of tub and I'm sure he'd be happier with a cold wet night (he still has Greese(sp) as we only bath before shows, than getting hot during a day. That said I'm not sure I'd want to leave my horses in the care of someone unable to rug or remove one.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's currently 6 degrees here and heavy rain due. Unclipped are out in med weights, clipped are out in heavy without necks. I check them regularly throughout the day. None of them are even slightly too warm. They were all out naked ten days ago. All are warmbloods.

whereas my clipped welshie is out naked, yet again the only beast on the yard (several of which are not clipped) to be allowed his rug off. They come in at 2pm atm though, he has had his 100g back on on occasion - that rug has been worth its weight in gold this year :) and they are on hay in the field still as grass is being slow.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Looking at the weather outlook, it does look like the temperature will start climbing back up in a couple of days so I'd go with a LW personally.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would leave naked, as when rugged mine are taken off and replaced every 12 hours. I would leave a rug on for 24 hours at a push, for example if I was rushed to hospital, but if people are not wanting to faff with rugs I would leave them off.

It reminds me of a thread on here where a rug was left on for a week, with a festering wound underneath. The horse was almost PTS.

If your helper intends to take on and off every 12 hours then I would put whatever you are comfortable with. If taking one off it is not too much more to change it for another.

Jnhuk

Visit site
If have shelter and forage, then rugless.

My good doer native type youngster who has a high trace clip and held his weight rather too well over this winter and hasn't had a rug on unless I need to ride early morning. It has been cold with snow falling overnight most days this week but he is fine and happy. He has access to shelter but not been going in it at all even when snowing thickly and bitter

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I would leave naked, as when rugged mine are taken off and replaced every 12 hours. I would leave a rug on for 24 hours at a push, for example if I was rushed to hospital, but if people are not wanting to faff with rugs I would leave them off.

It reminds me of a thread on here where a rug was left on for a week, with a festering wound underneath. The horse was almost PTS.

If your helper intends to take on and off every 12 hours then I would put whatever you are comfortable with. If taking one off it is not too much more to change it for another.

Agreed, i'd want to rug off atleast daily to check her over anyway.
I'd just leave her naked. If she has ok shelter, plenty of grass and is a fat shetland...I'm sure she'll be fine.

ETA: Amazed some horses are currently in HWs!! Mine who was pretty much has his summer coat through is only in a LW as I want to ride and don't want a wet horse. That reason aside, he'd be naked.

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
This is her, to show the coat she does have. field has ankle high grass that is quite good. My friend will be out once a day and if it is AWFUL i would want them all brought into the stables anyway, but she would be happy to change rugs if needed. I just know my mare and know she can either be caught or not be caught - at the moment shes good to catch but it only takes one thing (usually hormones!) to change her.

12963733_555726537945417_5453354895272616815_n.jpg

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
whereas my clipped welshie is out naked, yet again the only beast on the yard (several of which are not clipped) to be allowed his rug off. They come in at 2pm atm though, he has had his 100g back on on occasion - that rug has been worth its weight in gold this year :) and they are on hay in the field still as grass is being slow.

So you are the only person on the whole yard to put their clipped horse out rugless in this current weather of wind, rain, hail? Whatever must the rest of them be thinking?

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
This is her, to show the coat she does have. field has ankle high grass that is quite good. My friend will be out once a day and if it is AWFUL i would want them all brought into the stables anyway, but she would be happy to change rugs if needed. I just know my mare and know she can either be caught or not be caught - at the moment shes good to catch but it only takes one thing (usually hormones!) to change her.

12963733_555726537945417_5453354895272616815_n.jpg

She's gorgeous! Looks like she has a reasonable amount of coat and could stand losing a little bit of weight. I'd definitely not leave her rugless though.

_HP_

Visit site
I don't rug anything as a rule (except for sweet Itch) but I wouldn't leave anything with a full clip rugless if it's going to be cold and wet....cold yes....windy yes but not cold and wet.
In this instance I would pop the rainsheet on if you have a fleece or summer sheet that you can put underneath.
Fat Shetland , tb or cob......a full clip leaves them with no protection at all.
I always leave their back on when I clip my Shetlands....a high trace of blanket so they can be left rugless no matter the weather

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I too avoid rugging whenever possible. But this is unusual weather. Here it says the wind chill makes it feel like -2. In addition, even unclipped horses have shed most of their coats and so do not have the protection they have in the winter. This week has been colder than it was in December and January. I think that sometimes there seems to be a competition on here about who can keep their clipped horses with the least amount of rugs. I hate over rugging and never use more than a standard 350 - 400g rug on a fully clipped horse in winter, and unclipped horses are kept naked in their stables at night unless they have a particularly fine winter coat, but once out in the fields in this type of weather (we're quite exposed), the fully clipped horses are in 300g rugs.

sport horse

Visit site
If your Shetland is fat at the end of winter laminitis is surely just the blink of an eyelid away! The winter is the time when native ponies should be left to lose weight naturally, as they would in the wild in order that their metabolism can cope with the increased sugar in spring grass.
Leave it without a rug and let it use some of its body weight to keep warm - that is what the body weight is for. Shetlands come from the Shetland Isles and live naked all the year round up there and I believe that is pretty cold, wet and windy.