Cant even give them away!!

Dreamer515

Visit site
i posted a while back about wanting to donate some rugs to WHW. the only thing was that i couldnt afford to get them all cleaned. (i have a full set turnout and stable) SO 2 months later and i have still got them. WHW wont accept them unless they are cleaned. (will cost me over £250 to get all done) i have advertised on fb/local paper/shops. and i have asked every horsey person i know! they are 6'9" and too big for all the other liveries at the yard including my other horse :( i need them gone as i am pushed for storage. i have given myself till Mid March to find them a new home or i will be throwing them in the bin. i would understand if they were old/broken but 3 were only bought in October and were used in all about 4 times. none are broken and all are in good condition.

Just to clarify, when advertising i wasnt asking for any money. they were all free of charge. think im just getting upset seeing them everyday and being reminded of my old boy, and the fact that noone wants them does hurt in a weird way (if that makes sence to anyone)

daydreamer

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your loss. It seems very odd no-one wants the rugs. My only other suggestion would be to try a local riding school. All the riding schools I have known (even the good ones) have had some pretty tatty rugs and would have loved some free rugs. Or are there any horse rehoming or sanctuary places near you that might want them?

Last edited:

Micky

Visit site
Maybe find another charity who will take them! Turnout rugs, sling mine over the fence and hose ( weather could do it for you) scrub with a brush, rinse and let dry...Must be other horse charitites around that dont have the publicity WHW have...

Spit That Out

Visit site
Perhaps there are some other smaller charities in the area that would be more than happy with the donation of rugs, perhaps advertise them in tack shops, vets and even ask in local riding schools?
Just make sure they aren't covered in mud and hair!!
I'm sure there is a home out there, don't bin them.

asmp

Visit site
Whereabouts in England are you? They are too big for mine but would you be prepared to post them if the postage was paid for? If you're in the south, what about www.nfed.co.uk?

honetpot

Visit site
I have three computer storage boxes of rugs and like you a full set of 6'9''. I rinse mine out in the washing machine with no detergent and then dry them off. They are not pristine but look reasonable.
The couple of times I have offered things for free its been the most trouble and I will never use Freecycle again, it seems to attract people who want someone for nothing but + jam on it. I would put them on e-bay in job lots and give the money to charity, people my be thinking because they are free they are rubbish.

cptrayes

Visit site
Put them on eBay, you can donate all the proceeds to charity when you list them, so everyone knows where their money is going. Just list them as used and tell people they aren't clean.

Sorry about your horse, I know what you mean about seeing his stuff around.

BWa

Visit site
How many have you actually got as that is a massive cleaning bill!? Have you tried finding a cheaper rug cleaning person? Mine charges £12 a rug with collection and delivery included. Good on you for trying to help a charity though. Or another thought is a table top equestrian sale, we have lots of those in our area and you can clear out all sorts of rubbish.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I think its silly how they want you to clean them.
While I understand the infection / disease problem, you are giving them away free, do they should sort the cleaning!

Could you advertisev them on eBay, for something like 99p plus postage or a buy is now just the cost of postage.

I'm sure they be snapped up.

lurcherlu

Visit site
Where are you and what have you got ? I need lws with next, turnout and stable , lw stable neck med stable, med turnout with neck , fleeces and coolers pm me prices and postage to cornwall :)

Shoei

Visit site
I think Bransby would take them! Where abouts are you? If not I'm sure between me and Lurcherlu we could take some off your hands. I'd happy make a donation to charity to extend my rug addiction... sorry collection!

Mince Pie

Visit site
Put them on eBay, you can donate all the proceeds to charity when you list them, so everyone knows where their money is going. Just list them as used and tell people they aren't clean.

Sorry about your horse, I know what you mean about seeing his stuff around.

This, I sold my old mares rugs on ebay, and didn't clean any of them. They all sold for about £20-£30 each :)

ETA: where are you? There are several facebook groups asking for donations of rugs etc, for those who have been caught by the flooding :)

Tnavas

Visit site
i posted a while back about wanting to donate some rugs to WHW. the only thing was that i couldnt afford to get them all cleaned. (i have a full set turnout and stable) SO 2 months later and i have still got them. WHW wont accept them unless they are cleaned. (will cost me over £250 to get all done) i have advertised on fb/local paper/shops. and i have asked every horsey person i know! they are 6'9" and too big for all the other liveries at the yard including my other horse :( i need them gone as i am pushed for storage. i have given myself till Mid March to find them a new home or i will be throwing them in the bin. i would understand if they were old/broken but 3 were only bought in October and were used in all about 4 times. none are broken and all are in good condition.

Just to clarify, when advertising i wasnt asking for any money. they were all free of charge. think im just getting upset seeing them everyday and being reminded of my old boy, and the fact that noone wants them does hurt in a weird way (if that makes sence to anyone)

What about your local Riding for the Disabled - I'm sure they would like them

Seems an awful lot of money to clean the rugs - maybe we are lucky in NZ it costs around £10 to get a rug cleaned and re waterproofed.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
OP, I had success with selling rugs on ebay described as something like "these rugs have NOT been cleaned and need a good wash, I have left them for the new owner to do as then they can be certain that they have been re-proofed. Please do not bid expecting these rugs to be clean, they are not". I found somewhere that would courier them for £6.95 and I wrapped them in feed sacks (note on listing: Packaging will be recycled in order to keep costs down). I got surprisingly good prices and glowing feedback.

Just take good photos of any damage, take advantage of a free or cheap listing day, use a 99p start and watch people scramble to buy them. Then you can donate the money to charity of your choice.

Adopter

Visit site
Depends where you are, but Blue Cross have sales of tack, rugs etc and will take items in and store till next sale, if you are near either of their centres, we took a lot of our things when we lost our horse to Rolleston, and ended up with two short term adoption ponies!!

Suncat

Visit site
If you're anywhere near West Wales I know a Sanctuary who will gratefully take them. I think you'll find that any local rescue/sanctuary/charity would bite your hand off for them - and a whole number of horses would benefit! A few minutes on Google will probably find somewhere and it'll be a fab good deed :)

Equinus

Visit site
It could be the 'free' thing that makes people wary, they will wonder what's wrong with them. If a charity won't take them there is always Preloved too and you will get more local people asking, you can put pics on and I have sold furniture with damage and dog hairs but stated the damage. Could have sold several. If you have any horse sales in your area (like Beeston for eg) they often have separate tack sales on the day and you can just dump them and wait for any money by post.

I sold a lot of my stuff at a table top sale when we moved out to Bulgaria and a couple of rugs needed cleaning. They flew. But sad as some (cleaned) belonged to my old horse who had died seven years ago so do understand.

Dreamer515

Visit site
I am in the south west. Somerset. i have tried a few other charities and also our local RDA but they have said they dont have a need for rugs of that size. im at livery at a riding school and again they dont have anything that would wear that size. its just fustrating. i have about 15-20 rugs (i have a little addiction fo buying rugs) i will see about table top sales in my area. thanks for the advice.

starryeyed

Visit site
What a shame, a lovely kind thought too. Do you have many rug washing companies near you? - I only ask as a few around me will buy rugs off you and then sell them on, as they obviously know a huge amount of horsey people who tend to be rug addicts! You could then donate the proceeds to charity instead - might be worth a try. Alternatively, as others have said, you could try ebay - an honest listing with a photo and a low starting price would be sure to attract buyers, and you can set it up so that proceeds go to charity after the sale - there are quite a few horsey ones registered.

Unfortunately I'm quite a way from you so not too familiar with charities in your area, though sure you will find someone who is very grateful for such a generous donation - I think there is a racehorse rehoming centre in somerset, may be worth trying there if you haven't already x

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We took a pile of rugs to Red Wings Sanctuary & they were very pleased to accept them. The said that very few of their horses wear rugs but they do have on on site shop where people can buy donated horse items they won't use & the money goes to the sanctuary. :)

catembi

Visit site
Just quickly wanted to say that I do understand how you feel. When I lost Catembi in 2007, I was left with a ton of hardly opened or new supplements as he died shortly after my latest desperate attempt to find something to help him, & I couldn't give them away either, even tho some were quite ££££. Like you, it upset me seeing them, & it seemed worse to bin them.

After my 40 yo mare was PTS, I ebayed her little rugs & one buyer sent me a lovely email saying that they refurb & sell on rugs, & I was so pleased that her ancient (20+ year old) Rambo had gone to a good home & would 'live on'.

Hope you find your rugs a lovely home.

T x

Tnavas

Visit site
I am in the south west. Somerset. i have tried a few other charities and also our local RDA but they have said they dont have a need for rugs of that size. im at livery at a riding school and again they dont have anything that would wear that size. its just fustrating. i have about 15-20 rugs (i have a little addiction fo buying rugs) i will see about table top sales in my area. thanks for the advice.

Start up a Facebook page - we have a very helpful page for second hand horse gear here in New Zealand I've sold heaps of stuff on it. Called '2nd Hand Horse Gear' all you need to do is set up the page and get people to share it , word soon gets around.