cant get him off the drugs!

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
my tb gelding injured his achillies tendon 3 months ago, while at the same time damaging both hind suspenserys, (all this falling over in the field) he was box rested for 3 months and had ultra sound therapy on ligaments, vet advised to start walking and or a little turnout, she suggested we put him on acp for this as he can be a handful, he is now out every morning on acp, and is fine, but every time we try and take hime off it he turns into a loony thing! he really should need to be on it any more as is turned out lots and should be fairly chilled, am i going to have to keep him drugged for life? vets suggesting i ride him gently soon, dont want to do that while hes drugged, but a little concerned about what might happen to the pair of us if i dont! any suggestions?

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
All I can think of is somehow swimming him - he can thrash about til he's worn out and not pull anything. Sorry, probably not very practical.
frown.gif

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
vet says cant decrease it as either works or doesent, might try anyway
grin.gif
he is just having hifi and haylage as not doin anythin, he is usually a fairly sensible chap, but is obviously feeling young again, even today on the acp he was trotting around like a stallion chatting up the mares!

siennamum

Visit site
If you are allowed to by the vet, why don't you just leave him out 24/7. If he has a decent rug on he won't freeze to death and won't have a head fit whenever he's turned out. He will not really need any hard food if he's allowed ad lib hay, being in the field will keep him tired for a while till he's used to it.

annie02

Visit site
When my jumper was coming off box rest we had to drug her too, for her safety. I had the same problem, there was a threshold for a dose that worked on her. Below that it did nothing above that she could hardly walk. We lengthend her time outside gradually. She really only needed to be drugged at the beginning when she was turned out, once she had been out for a couple of hours she didnt feel the need to be stupid.

I was able to ride in the mornings, once I was able to get on her she got the bugs out while I rode. She didnt explode she just needed some time to mentaly adjust to being out of the stall. I would then turn her out after a short ride and give her lots of hay in her pen. She would give a buck or two but then go straight to the food and relax.