Can't teach an old dog new tricks?

X

xspiralx

I am writing this today as a metaphorical 2 fingers up at all the people who've said to me that "at 12 a horse is too old to improve".

When I got Paris over a year ago she didn't really "do" flatwork - her paces were fine and balanced but the idea of working in an outline was a fairly alien concept. In a relatively short space of time she started to work in a nice outline in walk and trot, and even carrying herself well - not leaning on the bit. Her flatwork has never been amazing and never will be, but it wasn't bad.

Canter was a sticking point though. Sometimes if I worked on it for a long time in the school she might soften but she obviously found it very difficult - mostly just to grasp the idea of being able to work round but also go forwards.

Went for a short session in the school today, not really to work on anything much, just a bit of a tick-over workout before tomorrow. She felt really bored and uninterested so I decided to do some rein-back to canter transitions which often help to wake her up. It was like she had an epiphany. She softened into an outline on the reinback, went into canter, and just KEPT it! She cantered soft and light and round, but forward! Didn't seem to have any difficulty at all, it was like she suddenly clicked "aha!".

Repeated several times and she was fab every time. So basically, I am THRILLED! I always wanted to sort out her canter before I sold her and finally I hope I have [provided she doesn't forget overnight lol!]
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

X

xspiralx

Well the people who saw her last week are very keen and are coming back tomorrow. Its a 6 hour round trip for them so they're not timewasters.

Provided all goes well tomorrow, I am hoping they will buy her but I don't want to get my hopes up too much!

RunToEarth

Visit site
Aww I hope she finds a bloody good home, she deserves it.
I have to join you in the fingers up. My mare is 26 and she is still learning, and I dont care what anybody says, I can feel the way I have shifted her, and thats reward enough, so give yourself a pat on the back, and the ginger lady a kiss from me
smile.gif
xx