Canter Advice.

rach1984horse

Visit site
I'm going to be trying out Le Trec in the spring this year, and as I understand it there is a control of paces phase where I need to canter as slowly as I can, then walk back as fast as I can without breaking pace.

The walking part shouldn't be a problem as Rosie marches on in walk and should do it well. However when we canter it's usually at 100mph, she usually pulls quite hard. She is ridden in a pelham with double reins when out hacking as this is how her old owner used to ride her. I find it works quite well because I hardly ever need to touch the bottom rein, if I ever do it's usually just to remind her that she needs to slow down.

Last year I started to ride her in a french link snaffle. Just for hacks in company where I knew we wouldn't be going fast, and in the school. She's taken to this really well. She works nicely in the school.

Anyway, to get to the point. Does anyone have any advice on how I can practice slowing her canter down. I never canter in the school as ours is a bit bumpy and quite small. Would be good to get some tips, especially from people who do Le Trec.

rrose

Visit site
i've always wanted to do a le trec so good luck.

as for helping you to slow the canter down, try poles close together.. not sure if it will help though. sorry

sylvapak

Visit site
try slowing the canter with your seat... it takes practice but its like when you are in trot to rise slower to slow the trot etc... hope that helps

hollyzippo

Visit site
I did one on my loopy TB who is semi retired and consequently very excitable! we won that part as he gets so bouncy I can canter him almost on the spot!

If all else fails and you cant get yours collected, try bouncy cantering!!
grin.gif